Author Topic: Sorry, but Pierce has gotten old.  (Read 13596 times)

Sorry, but Pierce has gotten old.
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:21:47 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I hate to say it, I hate even more to watch it but that is a significant problem with this team. Pierce's shooting is a career low, his three point shooting is the third lowest of his career and lately it has been awful, barely over .200%. He is getting torched on defense, they showed two clips on ESPN of him getting his ankles shattered by opposing players the other day. Chandler Parsons nearly had a triple double against him last night. Chandler "You would not know who I was even if I had my on reality show" Parsons.

Sometimes it happens slowly, sometimes it happens in a flash but all players get old. They lose a step. They have less lift. Their shot goes flat. Sadly that is what has happened to Paul Pierce, the stats bear it out.

Now I am not suggesting we trade him. I want Paul to retire a Celtic. I think though that we have to give a long look at starting Jeff Green. We need to see what we have there. In fact at nine million a year it is imperative that we see if he can play big boy minutes. Lately, while playing at three he has looked pretty good. Really good while at the three alongside Rondo. Jeff Green might really light it up if given the chance. I honestly believe is a player that needs to start, not come off the bench.

Now I know by doing this it might signal a white flag by the Celtics. I doubt that, I think Paul might thrive as sixth man. It is an honored Celtic tradition and Paul has been a consummate professional for his entire career. It would certainly keep him fresher for the playoffs and allow him to not worry as much chasing around top flight small forwards that simply are too quick for him now. Paul was never blazingly fast to begin with, his game was about guile, strength, angles and spacing. He his the perhaps the greatest ever at that facet of the game.

Now I may be run out of town for all of this, but take a close look and I think you will find I am right. It happens to all players, the Celtics must admit to it and adjust.

Re: Sorry, but Pierce has gotten old.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 01:26:43 PM »

Offline dinome18

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 7
I completely agree  ;D

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Ya think? ineffecient scorer who is at best average right now...sorry Paul

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 01:32:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I guess Luol Deng and Rudy Gay have gotten old too, because neither of them is playing any better.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 01:37:21 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I guess Luol Deng and Rudy Gay have gotten old too, because neither of them is playing any better.

Your point is? I am not worried about Luol Deng or Rudy Gay. Neither of whom was ever as good as Pierce and as I wrote, I have desire to trade Paul, simply let him be the sixth man and play between twenty and thirty minutes a game rather than the thirty five a game he is playing now.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
You might be right, but I'd take quite a bit more time to see if Pierce improves and monitor Green's progress.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
It's early...it takes some time for the aged-vets to get going.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 01:51:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Yep - the OP is telling the truth.

But, according to ESPN.com player rankings - he is a top 25 player, still.

He is still a top 5 SF, easily - perhaps top 4, since Iguodala is now playing SG in DEN.

He is still one of the top scorers in the league - don't let last night's episode fool you.

And he will get even better than what we've seen so far. It's a long season, and now that Jeff Green is getting into a groove, I expect Paul Pierce to see reduced minutes - all in Doc's grand plan to keep him, Jet and KG fresh for the playoffs.

Playoff Paul Pierce (and KG, and Jet) are coming soon.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

He is still a top 5 SF, easily - perhaps top 4, since Iguodala is now playing SG in DEN.

He is still one of the top scorers in the league - don't let last night's episode fool you.

And he will get even better than what we've seen so far. It's a long season, and now that Jeff Green is getting into a groove, I expect Paul Pierce to see reduced minutes - all in Doc's grand plan to keep him, Jet and KG fresh for the playoffs.

I wouldn't call anyone with a 41% shooting percentage a top scorer, even if they are averaging 35 points per game.  Hopefully as the season goes on Paul can hit more of the shots he has hit throughout his career.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 02:03:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Your point is? I am not worried about Luol Deng or Rudy Gay. Neither of whom was ever as good as Pierce and as I wrote, I have desire to trade Paul, simply let him be the sixth man and play between twenty and thirty minutes a game rather than the thirty five a game he is playing now.

My point is that despite looking so "old" and "declining" so much, Pierce is still one of the best at his position in the league, behind only LeBron, Durant, and Melo. 

All of the other guys who have been productive at the position this year are hybrid forwards who don't score nearly as much as Pierce does, or carry nearly as much of a burden offensively as he has to.

Pierce looked pretty cooked at the start of last season, too.  Barring any significant injuries to his knees or ankles, I think Paul will be fine when it matters.  I don't think that starting Jeff Green is by any stretch a good solution.  Green has never been nor will he likely ever be as productive as Paul Pierce on a per-minute basis.  That's just not who he is.

Green absolutely could NOT step in and be our #1 offensive option, which Pierce unquestionably is.

Now -- the fact that Paul still has the responsibility of being our #1 option at his age is definitely an issue, and part of the reason that our team is not among the elite anymore.  Ideally, Paul would be the #2 or #3 option on a truly great team.  With him as the #1 and KG as the #2, it's not a surprise that our offense struggles.

But again, starting Jeff Green won't solve that problem.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 02:06:35 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

I wouldn't call anyone with a 41% shooting percentage a top scorer, even if they are averaging 35 points per game.  Hopefully as the season goes on Paul can hit more of the shots he has hit throughout his career.

He'll average out...his career FG% is right around 45-46%. I wouldn't take too much stock in anyone's stats right now.

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 02:15:48 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

He'll average out...his career FG% is right around 45-46%. I wouldn't take too much stock in anyone's stats right now.
I hope you are right.  Right now I cringe every time he takes his little step back fallaway from the foul line area.  The ball is barely going higher than the rim as if he has no legs.

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 02:20:05 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
he's old but still top 10 in da league in scorin lol Pierce will get his FG% up later in da season everyone who been watchin him for years knos he plays his best ball around March. nd i can tell u only pay attention to da celtics only cuz Chandler Parsons has improved a lot dis year nd is da rockets 2nd best player aint like he gave up 21 points to Cartier Martin like da lakers

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

I hope you are right.  Right now I cringe every time he takes his little step back fallaway from the foul line area.  The ball is barely going higher than the rim as if he has no legs.

Just give him (and the team) time.

Looking at his stats, he's averaging 5.5 rebs per game so far this season - he hasn't pulled down that many since 08-09.

He's also averaging 1.5 stls - he hasn't swiped that many since 04-05.

His blocks are down - but Jeff Green is averaging .5 to compensate for it.

I'd still chose Paul Pierce as my SF for my fantasy team - even at this stage of his career. There aren't many crafty, driven and clutch SFs out there left.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
That Chandler Parsons that you know nothing about has about exactly the same efficiency rating as does PP (17.81 to PP's 17.86).  Parsons is a player.  I do wish he would get a more manly haircut:-))))))  This kid can play and Ainge totally screwed up by taking JJ rather than this kid!!!!!

Smitty77
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:53:36 PM by Smitty77 »