Author Topic: Austin Rivers: 27 pts, 9/14 FG, 5/6 from 3, 4/4 from FT  (Read 5952 times)

Re: Austin Rivers: 27 pts, 9/14 FG, 5/6 from 3, 4/4 from FT
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
I just dropped him in my fantasy league too.
haha I did too. I think he's going to have a very good career in this league. the next 5 years are going to be very special watching him

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 06:27:25 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Austin Rivers has fairly horrible so far. One of the worst players in the league.

Not even one of the worst players in the league playing regular minutes. One of the worst period. Most teams have useful players in the 13th-15th man slots than Rivers.

Not much reason for optimism. I expect this is the way it'll be for the rest of the season. Next year will tell more. About whether he is able to adapt or not.

Yeah it's one game and its about time. Hopefully he keeps it up but he seems like a horribly inefficient player.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 06:32:55 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Fluke
this is professional basketball. a 20 year old kid didnt just fluke almost 30 points against established and more experienced pros.
green , gerald/. see
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 05:21:10 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
this is professional basketball. a 20 year old kid didnt just fluke almost 30 points against established and more experienced pros.

The list of players 20 and under who scored 27 points or more in a game include Jonny Flynn, CJ Miles, Sebastian Telfair, and Marcus Williams.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 12:48:55 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
IIRC, The Untouchable, Avery Bradley, was similarly clueless as a very young rookie. The difference here is the Hornets are (wisely)feeding Rivers minutes even though he isn't ready.

Rivers is shooting 39.5% from three. He shoots only 46% at the rim.  Is there a lot of doubt that he will be a better finisher when he gets stronger and more experienced?

Like most young players, Rivers is a disaster on non-threes/non-layups, at 24%.  Once he figures out his spots on the floor he'll be OK there too.

With his  handle, shooting stroke, and NBA pedigree, it will be a shock if Austin Rivers isn't at least a solid starter in the league.  I don't see how his slow start is a surprise to anyone who follows NBA basketball closely.   

Kobe Bryant shot 28% in November and December of his rookie year, with the same 30 TOs to only 15 assists.  (Austin has 60 assists).  Skinny, young SGs struggle their first time around the league.   

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
I don't see how his slow start is a surprise to anyone who follows NBA basketball closely.   

Kobe Bryant shot 28% in November and December of his rookie year, with the same 30 TOs to only 15 assists.  (Austin has 60 assists).  Skinny, young SGs struggle their first time around the league.   

exactly. It seems noone understands that it takes time for a rookie to develop.

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 03:44:01 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Wouldnt really call it a fluke, the kid has scoring potential and he can only really get better from here. Has he played great in the first 20 or so games.... no, but he hasnt been horrendous. His TO's have gone down quite a bit, but i think thats more of a case that they dont really run the offence through him anymore. I could see him averaging 10-12 points in his rookie year which is good considering he is still only what 20??

Nope, he can get worse.  Gerald Green had fantastic potential too. 
do it

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 03:52:23 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
Wouldnt really call it a fluke, the kid has scoring potential and he can only really get better from here. Has he played great in the first 20 or so games.... no, but he hasnt been horrendous. His TO's have gone down quite a bit, but i think thats more of a case that they dont really run the offence through him anymore. I could see him averaging 10-12 points in his rookie year which is good considering he is still only what 20??

Nope, he can get worse.  Gerald Green had fantastic potential too.

In Green's defense, he battled back into the league and secured a 3/$9m contract from Indy. 

Look at Kobe's numbers at the beginning of his rookie year.  I expect Austin Rivers to get better as he goes around the league the second time. 

He's already trending upward - 15 ppg on 49% shooting his last seven games. 

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
IIRC, The Untouchable, Avery Bradley, was similarly clueless as a very young rookie. The difference here is the Hornets are (wisely)feeding Rivers minutes even though he isn't ready.

Rivers is shooting 39.5% from three. He shoots only 46% at the rim.  Is there a lot of doubt that he will be a better finisher when he gets stronger and more experienced?

Like most young players, Rivers is a disaster on non-threes/non-layups, at 24%.  Once he figures out his spots on the floor he'll be OK there too.

With his  handle, shooting stroke, and NBA pedigree, it will be a shock if Austin Rivers isn't at least a solid starter in the league.  I don't see how his slow start is a surprise to anyone who follows NBA basketball closely.   

Because casual NBA fans don't really grasp the concept of "developing talent". The thought process is that if a guy doesn't step on the floor his rookie season and be dominant, he clearly has no future.

Some players require more time than others, I think writing the guy off barely halfway through his rookie season is comical. Imagine if we did that with Avery Bradley - who looked absolutely lost when he first came into the league.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Because casual NBA fans don't really grasp the concept of "developing talent". The thought process is that if a guy doesn't step on the floor his rookie season and be dominant, he clearly has no future.

Some players require more time than others, I think writing the guy off barely halfway through his rookie season is comical. Imagine if we did that with Avery Bradley - who looked absolutely lost when he first came into the league.

Exactly, the kid is 19 years old.  I think most people knew he would be a bit of a project.  Look at a guy like Blair in SA, he was able to come in and contribute right away but he hasnt improved his game much at all.  He is what he is.

Rivers is a high upside kid.  If he had high upside and could contribute at a star level right away he would have gone higher than 10th.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Rivers barely got to play much college ball. I'm not sure what people expected him to do being thrown into a starting job in the NBA.

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 06:41:23 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Actually Austin is 20.  Kobe was 18 when he was a rookie and an All-Star by age 19.

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
It's clear A.Rivers cannot function as an NBA two guard. He is too small and too much of a liability as a defender and as a rebounder.

His future will depend on his ability to adjust to the PG position.

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
It's clear A.Rivers cannot function as an NBA two guard. He is too small and too much of a liability as a defender and as a rebounder.

Agreed.  I could see him being a Monta Ellis guy, a guy who is going to score a lot, but shoot a lot to get there.  He'll get his stats but he's a guy I never want on my team.
do it

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney

He's listed at 6'4" tall, the same height as Wade.  I do agree that  he has more of a future at PG, but I don't think it's out of the question that an athletic 6'4" who can bang threes and has a great handle can't play SG effectively. 

If anyone thinks they can correctly predict Austin Rivers' NBA future after looking at 20 or so games of statistics and watching him a few times, they're talking out of their ass.  Me included.