Author Topic: Rondo's D Looks Mediocre  (Read 4726 times)

Re: Rondo's D Looks Mediocre
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 11:38:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo's gotta step up his D. He does a lot of good things that don't get mentioned enough (and are the reason he's always voted as a top defender), but we can't win with him getting beat off the dribble constantly.

When Bradley comes back and he can switch to defend the 2, I think things will get better. It looks like Rondo's issue on D is effort. On one hand I think he's gotta step it up, but on the other it's hard to kill him effort when he's logging crazy minutes and an extreme workload.

While I agree that Rondo steps up his defense in the playoffs, he doesn't constantly get beat off the dribble. Opponents use picks to get past him most of the time.
Fair enough. He doesn't fight through picks at a consistent enough level and occasionally gets beat off the dribble. Basically, there are times he can do more to keep his body between his man in the basket.

Even if you think he needs to fight through picks better, the guy he's covering will still get through first and have *his* body between Rondo and the basket. It's tough to defend from that position, although Rondo poking the ball from behind is probably as good as you'd get defensively. To stay between his man and the basket Rondo would need to go under the pick, the pick's defender could separate from his man and give Rondo room to go between them or the pick's defender could switch onto the ballhandler until Rondo recovers. They do the switch on occasion (they have been recently) but they generally do none of the above.

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Rondo is playing too many minutes. His defense would improve his minutes went down.

Can't wait until Doc trusts Terry more with back-up PG duties. I don't think Rondo and him together have been a good match. Defense isn't good with them together, and Rondo's offense doesn't make much good use of Terry. We're better off with Terry off the bench relieving Rondo's responsibilities for a time.

Didn't get to watch last night's game, but I saw Lee started, so that's a good sign. Hopefully it'll be the same today with Lee starting until Bradley comes, and we'll see from there what happens.

But yes, I'd like to see Rondo's minutes down, and I like him to play more at full speed in less minutes.

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 08:34:32 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
like i stated many ova times i hate da reach around from behind defense he does. we all kno he's capable of stayin in front of his man but he'd rather gamble for steals leavin da big man rotations shaky

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 11:37:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rondo's always been a trick-or-treat defensive player.  If his from-behind pokes and passing-lane jumps are successful, he looks like a great ballhawk.  But if they fail, he just gets burned.

I'll take Avery Bradley's style -- constant effort to stay in front of the defender and force a turnover with PRESSURE that leads to mistakes, not gambling.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 11:49:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think mediocre is being kind.  His D has been bad more often than not.

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 12:31:48 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Rondo = the most overated defensive player in NBA History. Bradley should help hide his defeciencies a bit when he returns.

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 12:50:10 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The word is lazy, he was ELITE a few years ago but now he just takes possessions/games off completely.

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »

Offline CeltRJ9

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
I agree that Rondo's D is looked mediocre right now. But he's a great defensive player, only when he CHOOSES to be be though. Back in the championship year, he got like 6 or 7 steals in game 6, or the time when he guarded Lebron 1 on 1. The point is he just gambles too much on D and not as aggressive as he was. Its more about mental thing for him but to question his defensive skills and say he's overrated is just ignorance.

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Rajon Rondo | Boston Celtics

Rondo is known for his long arms and massive hands, both of which have helped him pile up 843 career steals going into the 2012-13 season (which ranks second only to Chris Paul over the same six-year period). While those steals-related stats are impressive, there's evidence that Rondo's overall defensive impact hasn't lived up to his All-Defense reputation for several years.

Rondo's career counterpart PER of 15.6 doesn't tell the tale of an elite on-ball defender, and plus/minus data show a decline in performance within the team concept as well. Over Rondo's first four NBA seasons, the Celtics were 2.2 points of defensive rating better with him on the floor, including an incredible 8.3-point difference during Rondo's rookie season of 2006-07. Since the start of the 2010-11 season, however, that number has been flipped; over the past two seasons, Boston was actually 2.1 points per 100 possessions better when Rondo wasn't in the game.

The emergence of backup point guard Avery Bradley -- who posted a young-Rondo-esque minus-4.4 on/off defensive differential last year -- is certainly a mitigating circumstance, but like Noah, Rondo's plus/minus numbers aren't impressive even after accounting for the "good defensive backup" factor. According to regularized adjusted plus/minus, Rondo ranked tied for No. 46 among guards last season (in terms of defense), a far fall from the second-place ranking he held early in his career.

As Rondo has become more of the focal point in the offense it seems his defense suffered more and more. The guy only has so much energy.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
As Rondo has become more of the focal point in the offense it seems his defense suffered more and more. The guy only has so much energy.

I don't think that's it at all.  For example, take a look at the Dallas game.  Rondo really did a good job getting and staying in front of Mayo.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
so does everyone else's defense on this team?

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Rondo = the most overated defensive player in NBA History.

uh yeah calm down

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Rondo = the most overated defensive player in NBA History. Bradley should help hide his defeciencies a bit when he returns.
cp3 is most overrated

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rajon Rondo | Boston Celtics

Rondo is known for his long arms and massive hands, both of which have helped him pile up 843 career steals going into the 2012-13 season (which ranks second only to Chris Paul over the same six-year period). While those steals-related stats are impressive, there's evidence that Rondo's overall defensive impact hasn't lived up to his All-Defense reputation for several years.

Rondo's career counterpart PER of 15.6 doesn't tell the tale of an elite on-ball defender, and plus/minus data show a decline in performance within the team concept as well. Over Rondo's first four NBA seasons, the Celtics were 2.2 points of defensive rating better with him on the floor, including an incredible 8.3-point difference during Rondo's rookie season of 2006-07. Since the start of the 2010-11 season, however, that number has been flipped; over the past two seasons, Boston was actually 2.1 points per 100 possessions better when Rondo wasn't in the game.

The emergence of backup point guard Avery Bradley -- who posted a young-Rondo-esque minus-4.4 on/off defensive differential last year -- is certainly a mitigating circumstance, but like Noah, Rondo's plus/minus numbers aren't impressive even after accounting for the "good defensive backup" factor. According to regularized adjusted plus/minus, Rondo ranked tied for No. 46 among guards last season (in terms of defense), a far fall from the second-place ranking he held early in his career.

That's kind of a hatchet piece. Rondo's opposing PER for the last 2 years (before this year) were like 13 and 11, so the guy ignores that and only talks about his career average. He wanted to use the stat to make Rondo look bad when he was clearly aware of how good Rondo's numbers had been the last few years, so he somehow left that info out of his article.