Author Topic: Celtics (12-10) at Spurs (18-6) 12/15  (Read 36636 times)

Re: Celtics (12-10) at Spurs (18-6) 12/15
« Reply #240 on: December 15, 2012, 10:44:33 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Outcoached.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2012, 10:45:57 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
This game shows that we aren't even in the discussion as a contender.  Spurs were tired, not playing their best for about 3/4 of the game.  We played horrible D and really let the spurs catch fire at the end of the game.  We were lazy on O, not getting to the rim enough, settling for way too many jump shots.  When they stopped falling, and parker caught fire we were cooked.

This was a really winnable game.  I guess on the 2nd night of a back to back we have that built in excuse.  But we are really what our record says we are right now.  Barely a playoff team.  I am really tired of watching our D.  I can't wait until it gets better.

« Reply #242 on: December 15, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
offensive execution was pretty good. we missed some shots we should hit, but it wasn't bad by any means. the defense was a little slow on rotations, and the spurs tonight were able to hit seemingly everything, especially beyond the arc. most nights, we'll win a game like this.

« Reply #243 on: December 15, 2012, 10:47:07 PM »

Offline JerseyKid.

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Our heart will prevail.
This game shows that we aren't even in the discussion as a contender.  Spurs were tired, not playing their best for about 3/4 of the game.  We played horrible D and really let the spurs catch fire at the end of the game.  We were lazy on O, not getting to the rim enough, settling for way too many jump shots.  When they stopped falling, and parker caught fire we were cooked.

This was a really winnable game.  I guess on the 2nd night of a back to back we have that built in excuse.  But we are really what our record says we are right now.  Barely a playoff team.  I am really tired of watching our D.  I can't wait until it gets better.

Thanks for saying this because i was thinking it, but wasn't going to type it out. TP for you.

« Reply #244 on: December 15, 2012, 10:49:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
smallball ???  ::)

« Reply #245 on: December 15, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Doc is determined to play small and be the worst rebounding team in the league. Looks like Sully got punished for crashing the boards tonight.

Danny save this team. Please trade Bass, Lee, and a first rounder for a 7 footer.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #246 on: December 15, 2012, 10:55:25 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
When is Doc going to get some criticism for how much the Celtics are underperforming?  Maybe they're not contenders, absolutely they're not contenders right now but they should be better than skimming .500.  I don't think he's made any adjustments in three or four years.  The offensive sets are exactly the same and he can't rein in Rondo to actually move the ball ahead and around.  He always moans about a lack of ball movement.  Well, he's the coach, can't he figure it out and demand it of Rondo? 

How he uses Terry epitomizes how little coaching he does and how much Rondo will not adjust to a new teammate.  The guy slotted him directly into Ray Allen's plays.  It's absurd.  Instead of letting Terry handle the ball more and basically do what he's done for most of his career within the framework of great teams, he just replaced an outgoing Ray exactly.  The bottom third ranked offense Terry was coming into needed no altering at all.  Total sense.

« Reply #247 on: December 15, 2012, 11:00:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Celtic basketball is headed on a fast train to NO WHERE...

No BIG's ... NO CHAMPIONSHIP hopes.

« Reply #248 on: December 15, 2012, 11:01:20 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I just hate Doc's substitution patterns with KG.  If the Celtics had competent defensive bigs behind him, sure, play KG for comically short stints but yanking KG 4.5 minutes into a quarter while the other teams' starters are out doesn't work on paper and hasn't worked on the court.  The Celtics stand a much better chance of surviving without KG if the backup bigs are going up against, you know, backup bigs.  The starting lineup is diluted.

It's been two years of Doc trying to copy Carlisle's rest pattern with Dirk and doing a terrible job of it.  I'm convinced the Celtics would have been a much better regular season team last year and so far this year if Doc just left KG alone. 

« Reply #249 on: December 15, 2012, 11:03:36 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Doc is determined to play small and be the worst rebounding team in the league. Looks like Sully got punished for crashing the boards tonight.

Danny save this team. Please trade Bass, Lee, and a first rounder for a 7 footer.

We are not the worst rebounding team in the league. We get fewer rebounds in total, but we are fourth when it comes to defensive rebounds percentage according to basketball-reference.com. This is not really the problem.
The 7 footer we need is for rim protection, since we allow a lot of points in the paint - 25th in the league according to Teamrankings.com - and it's not mainly fastbreak points (13th in the league).

« Reply #250 on: December 15, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Well , since we suck and have NO CENTER , no paint presence, maybe DA will grow a pair and make DOC bring FAB back and AT LEAST train him on the NBA court and play next to KG and learn.  So in a few YEARS we can have at least ONE CENTER on a NBA team. 

BTW ..COLLINS is totally worthless.

« Reply #251 on: December 15, 2012, 11:11:22 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956

We are not the worst rebounding team in the league. We get fewer rebounds in total, but we are fourth when it comes to defensive rebounds percentage according to basketball-reference.com. This is not really the problem.
The 7 footer we need is for rim protection, since we allow a lot of points in the paint - 25th in the league according to Teamrankings.com - and it's not mainly fastbreak points (13th in the league).

TP.  We've actually been rebounding fairly well since Doc called the team soft. 

Our defense allowing too many easy scores - transition buckets, paint points, and wide open 3 pointers - is the problem.  We always seem half a step slow on rotations.  I'm confident that when (I would say "if", but I'm trying to be optimistic) our defense improves, we'll be winning a lot of games.  We've always been at our best when we get multiple consecutive stops throughout the course of the game.

« Reply #252 on: December 15, 2012, 11:13:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Our defense allowing too many easy scores - transition buckets, paint points, and wide open 3 pointers - is the problem.  We always seem half a step slow on rotations.  I'm confident that when (I would say "if", but I'm trying to be optimistic) our defense improves, we'll be winning a lot of games.  We've always been at our best when we get multiple consecutive stops throughout the course of the game.

The Celtics are now 2nd worst in the league in rebounding differential per game and are dead last in rebounding percentage differential.

« Reply #253 on: December 15, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956

The Celtics are now 2nd worst in the league in rebounding differential per game and are dead last in rebounding percentage differential.

It's deceiving because we completely ignore the offensive boards.  This seems to actually hurt us because it's not like we're playing good transition defense even when we send all 5 guys back.  It's been happening all season and it needs to be fixed.

We're clearly not a good rebounding team, but if we're closing out the defensive rebounds, I'm happy.

« Reply #254 on: December 15, 2012, 11:38:23 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Avery coming back, and addition of a shot blocker to the rotation (Melo Maybe) will right the ship.

Whatever the heck happen to ball movement? We're seeing a lot of iso ball, or the ball sticking to Rondo. Guys can't get comfortable when they rarely touch the ball. Another point is it makes defense job easier just load up on one side with the ball; something Celtics were historically great at. Hence, teams move the ball against the Celtics getting C's defense off-balance.

Ball movement killing C's on one end, and is being underutilized on the other end.