Author Topic: school shooting at Newtown Conn elementary school  (Read 20869 times)

Re: school shooting at Newtown Conn elementary school
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2012, 01:33:48 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 352
Hey dark lord this isn't about you or your kids. It's about a horrible tragedy that needs proactive measures to be sure it never happens again. It amazes me how individuals still find a way to make things about them and how it affects their lives rather than society as a whole.

This is really unnecessary, if you have kids, tragedies like these can hit home a bit harder than those that don't.

« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2012, 01:36:39 PM »

Offline dinome18

• Courtney Lee
  • Tommy Points: 7
"YOU" being the operative word.

« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1992
Roy, if we teach religion in schools then we have to teach all religions, which isn't going to go over well with Christians.

I can see it now: Little Joey in Tuscaloosa, Alabama comes home and gets asked what he learned in school today and he tells his mom that they read from the Koran and learn all about the benevolent God Allah. Yeah, that's going to go well.

If we teach Christianity in schools, do we not have to teach all Christianity? Like apathy, when God turns his head to those that are suffering. Like revenge, when God decides to destroy a city because they turn their backs on God. Like sexism and slavery, things condoned in the bible in the name of God.

Sorry. Religion and public schooling is a huge mistake and we have grown past that as a country. Mr. Huckabee knows that and was just trying to push his own Christian agenda.
2015 CB HISTORICAL DRAFT: COMING THIS OCTOBER
FORMAT:
3 players from 1960-73
3 players from 1974-86
3 players from 1987-00
3 players from 2001-Pres
1 player from any era

« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 352
"YOU" being the operative word.

I'm not going to say what id like, it's not something worth being uncivil for. But I will offer you some advice seeing you're new here: you won't make many friends here by being critical of something you have no knowledge of.

« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1992
Hey dark lord this isn't about you or your kids. It's about a horrible tragedy that needs proactive measures to be sure it never happens again. It amazes me how individuals still find a way to make things about them and how it affects their lives rather than society as a whole.
I think someone needs to not make this personal and I'm not talking about dark lord.

dark lord is only saying what he personally felt and what he personally did and how it effected him personally. His post is eloquent and poignant and speaks for many on this board.

He is a well respected member of this site. Have some respect because this tragedy effected everyone in a personal way.

2015 CB HISTORICAL DRAFT: COMING THIS OCTOBER
FORMAT:
3 players from 1960-73
3 players from 1974-86
3 players from 1987-00
3 players from 2001-Pres
1 player from any era

« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I try to avoid threads like this that could lean politically. But after yesterday's tragedy, something MUST be done about guns in this country.

I don't know what could be done, how it could be done, when, etc - but SOMETHING has to be done.

My prayers for the families affected.

This strikes home for me a bit - I have a nine year-old.

« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1018
I don't live in the States, but I'm pretty sure banning guns would prevent tragedies like this.

The whole "we need to protect ourselves from intruders" argument is just an excuse for fat old republicans to shoot someone.

The sad thing is some people are wacky enough to believe things like this.

« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2012, 02:24:11 PM »

Offline dinome18

• Courtney Lee
  • Tommy Points: 7
How have I made anything personal?? I get it and completely understand. My point is only that when people message only about them and their actions after a tragedy that did not effect them, how am I wrong to say it's not about you.? I'm a social worker and it's a shame because there is clearly too much of that in our society.

« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2012, 02:38:46 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1103

u got to be kidding right?!  my saying i hugged my kid like never before was bc when ur a parent u tend to think about what it would be like to be in others shoes.  my hugging my kid is bc i love him and am so grateful to have not experienced the heartache the people in CT have had to endure.  i hug my kid and tell him i love him multiple times a day, but when tragedy strikes, it makes u appreciate what u got.

[Edited.  That last part is understandable, but please refrain. -RH]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:43:40 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: -29328
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

I think this response was completely out of line.  What did DL say, other than he hugged his kids?  Things hit home in different ways.  I think many parents related this tragedy to what could have happened to them.

D. Cousins / I. Mahinmi / P. Antic
D. West / R. Anderson / C. Copeland
L. Deng / K. Singler / D. Rudez
A. Iguodala / V. Carter / B. Gordon / C.J. Wilcox
K. Irving / S. Livingston / S. Blake

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012

« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2012, 02:46:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Dave Cowens
Roy, if we teach religion in schools then we have to teach all religions, which isn't going to go over well with Christians.

I can see it now: Little Joey in Tuscaloosa, Alabama comes home and gets asked what he learned in school today and he tells his mom that they read from the Koran and learn all about the benevolent God Allah. Yeah, that's going to go well.

If we teach Christianity in schools, do we not have to teach all Christianity? Like apathy, when God turns his head to those that are suffering. Like revenge, when God decides to destroy a city because they turn their backs on God. Like sexism and slavery, things condoned in the bible in the name of God.

Sorry. Religion and public schooling is a huge mistake and we have grown past that as a country. Mr. Huckabee knows that and was just trying to push his own Christian agenda.

Again, I'm not saying I buy into what Huckabee is saying.  However, from his background -- a pastor in a Baptist church -- I think his answer makes a lot of sense.  The thought that God punishes / refuses to protect societies that have turned their back on Him is a fairly mainstream thought.

« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »

Offline InfiniteMH

• Gerald Wallace
  • Tommy Points: 17
The thought that God punishes / refuses to protect societies that have turned their back on Him is a fairly mainstream thought.

As a non-Christian, this came to me as a bit of a shock. Could the Christians in this forums confirm for me that this is what majority of Christians think?

« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2012, 03:07:31 PM »

Online Ogaju

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 110
my christian beliefs lead me to believe that God is a loving and forgiving God.

« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2012, 03:21:19 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 72
    • Self Assay
The thought that God punishes / refuses to protect societies that have turned their back on Him is a fairly mainstream thought.

As a non-Christian, this came to me as a bit of a shock. Could the Christians in this forums confirm for me that this is what majority of Christians think?
That's not Catholic orthodoxy (speaking as a Catholic who's studied a fair amount of theology, but is not an expert). Cannot speak for Protestants as there are some theological differences.

« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Dave Cowens

That's not Catholic orthodoxy (speaking as a Catholic who's studied a fair amount of theology, but is not an expert). Cannot speak for Protestants as there are some theological differences.

It's mostly a Old Testament belief (i.e., Sodom and Gomorrah, the Great Flood, among many examples), but even in the New Testament, there isn't a lot of love for those who refuse to receive the Word.  One example is the "shake the dust off your feet" command from Jesus in the Book of Matthew.  In Thessalonians, Paul writes "He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus."

Jesus died for the sins of man, but that doesn't mean that God turns a blind eye to sinful cultures.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog