Author Topic: Dwight + Kobe = horrible duo?  (Read 4239 times)

Dwight + Kobe = horrible duo?
« on: December 14, 2012, 03:55:03 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
I believe that kobe and dwight do not compliment each other. I think dwight needs to be paired with an athletic point guard, slashers, and other multi-faceted and athletic bigs to succeed.  (Which is why I think he'd be a good fit here in green but thats another story).

Dwights been with 3-pt jackers his entire career and he's gone nowhere. that one time he went to the finals was because he was in beast mode, so its the exception to the rule.

Re: Dwight + Kobe = horrible duo?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 04:11:21 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
There are 20 teams with a better record than the Lakers. That hasn't happened very often, in any NBA regular season.

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html

But let's wait with the verdict, because I think they're a different (i.e. better) team with Stevie dishing the rock. Just like the Celtics are better with a stopper like AB out on the floor.

But hey, that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it while it lasts  8)

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 07:10:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bad coaches too.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:22:11 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm holding off on making my mind up on this one. I thought that the Heat didn't "fit" or mix well and would get knocked out again in the playoffs last year. We all know how that ended.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:39:11 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Bad coaches too.

In what way was Stan a bad basketball coach??

I always liked how stan worked. It was a disgrace how he got treated.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
yes they suck as people.  whiny ****s that are locker room cancers.  what? that's not what you mean?  oh then nevermind.   ;)

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:23:02 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Dantoni's the problem.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 08:43:56 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
From a human being standpoint? Oh yeah.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 08:44:35 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'm loving the Lakers being so bad so far but Nash is really the key.  When he's back, able to play like Nash being no longer limited by the Princeton, I think then this team will play a lot better.

As a duo, Dwight and Kobe are not great.  You need a PG to distribute the ball to make that work.

It'll be interesting to see how Kobe deals with a Steve Nash run offense.  Dwight will be just fine there.

The best part is that their bench is awful no matter what happens with the starters.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 08:54:59 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
With a full roster, Dwight and Kobe will mesh a bit better, at least. You can't take one of the best PGs of all time and one of the best bigs in the league, and lose them to injury and not look shaky,  especially when you've got so much money invested in your best four players that your bench is populated with vetmins past their prime and untested second round rookies and second year players.

On paper, a bench of Steve Blake, Jordan Hill, Jamison and Duhon doesn't look pathetic.  It isn't idea, but when you pay your top five guys $55 million, you can't expect much of a bench.  When you have $30 million in street clothes, you're going to struggle.   

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 08:58:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Dwight + Kobe + a bunch of guys who shouldn't be in an NBA rotation + learning a dramatically different system on the fly = bad basketball

This team was built on being top heavy, and currently they are missing 2 of their 4 key players, as well as a key reserve, and have been forced to play guys who should not be playing, big minutes. 

In other words, its too early to judge.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 09:16:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Those are the only two parts I would keep.  (Gasol as well)

It would be nice to see them get a plan that actually plays to the strengths of their best player instead of their injured PG.

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 09:19:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Those are the only two parts I would keep.  (Gasol as well)

It would be nice to see them get a plan that actually plays to the strengths of their best player instead of their injured PG.

I still think the plan does play to the strengths of both Kobe (at this advanced stage of his career) and Dwight.  The problem is (as we saw in NY), it still requires the true PG to make it run, no matter what Kobe or Dwight do.

Which is why I think they need to be really thinking about getting a better backup PG along with a PF that fits the system better, if they trade Gasol. 

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think its tough to keep both of them happy because both feel like they need the ball for a certain amount of possessions.

Kobe is going to get his shots up, no matter what. Meanwhile Dwight only stays engaged if you get him the ball for several post ups as well.

Without a PG to run P&Rs and juggle those two things, its really hard to make things work in a good offensive flow.

Meanwhile their defense is the biggest issue, but as coaches usually say: 'its hard to get players to play defense when they never touch the ball on the other end".

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Meanwhile their defense is the biggest issue, but as coaches usually say: 'its hard to get players to play defense when they never touch the ball on the other end".

Its not just about touches.  I think there is a flow to defense, and when the offense is flowing, often the defensive intensity picks up as well.

Not to mention, its easier to get your defense set, when the other team is taking the ball out from under the basket, and not getting long rebounds to get up before the defense can get set.