Author Topic: Imagine the Following (Jazz Trade)  (Read 6270 times)

Re: Imagine the Following (Jazz Trade)
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
PhoSita, I think the problem with your idea is that it primarily improves our 1st team offense, which is not actually a weakness for this year's team. Our primary areas of concern are the overall performance of the bench and our defense.

If you could find a similar deal for a center who plays elite defense the way that al jefferson plays elite offense, that would be really interesting. Who is that player? I'm not sure. Andrew Bogut, perhaps.

I don't think there's a trade that's really on the table for a player like that.

Also, while I agree that part of the team's problem is interior defense, another is that they rely on Pierce and KG to carry the entire offensive burden, night in and night out, which they are frankly too old to do without having issues with consistency.  I would argue that CONSISTENCY, on both offense and defense, is the #1 problem of this year's team so far.

Even when Paul and KG have it in them to score, that takes away from their ability to do as good a job on the other end.

Imagine how energized Paul and KG could be defensively if they got easier looks on the offensive end.  Think of how smoothly the Cs offense flowed when they had Shaq eating up space down low on offense, getting high percentage looks at the basket.  Even having a guy like Wilcox on the floor adds a small element of that, and it makes a big different.  When this team scores more easily, it feeds into their defense.  The opposite is true, as well.

Ideally, the team would procure a tall, long big man who can provide great interior defense and also some post scoring.

But Tyson Chandler is on the Knicks, and I don't think he's getting traded.  So unless the Cs can put together a package for Varejao (which I doubt), Big Al seems like the best available option.

That said -- it's important to note that I presented this trade scenario not necessarily as something I WANT to happen, but just something I could see happening.  Something I would have to seriously consider if I were in Danny's position.

I gave you a TP - because I feel exactly the same way. KG needs to be able to move around on offense - and we're relying way too much on Pierce, who's a bad shooter. Al gets us down in the paint, gets us something guaranteed.