Author Topic: You tell me what the Celtics looks like after the trade deadline!  (Read 8650 times)

Re: You tell me what the Celtics looks like after the trade deadline!
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 01:10:57 PM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
I think a lot of it will depend on what Bradley looks like.

If the KG/Bass/Pierce/Bradley/Rondo lineup dominates the way it did last year, I think we stand pat.

Totally agree. That lineup was dominant last year. It also leaves us with an entire, quality second unit in Wilcox/Sully/Green/Lee/Terry. An upgrade to Wilcox behind KG would be the only obvious place to improve.

But it does seem like the Bass and Lee contracts are priced to move. I'm sure Ainge will be dangling those guys and Green if his play keeps improving.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind taking a run at Pau Gasol. Green + Bass + Lee + Melo could probably get it done, and would give the Lakers much needed depth. And the Celtics would gain a post-scoring presence that's been sorely missing. Not so sure Gasol is healthy, though.

(Healthy) Gasol/KG/Pierce/Bradley/Rondo would be a pretty awesome lineup. Gasol scoring down low. Pierce and KG hitting jumpers. Rondo and Bradley creating havoc all over the court. Would be a lot of size to overpower the Heat. (Just a thought, anyway, since Gasol is going to be available.)

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 01:18:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Probably most the same, though perhaps if Bradley looks good Ainge will try moving Bass + Lee for an upgrade at PF or backup C.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 01:23:32 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Call me crazy, but I think Danny finds a way to turn Bass or Lee, Melo, and picks into Gortat.  Just a feeling I have.

I feel it too. I think Gortat is a C.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Maybe they'll end up waving either Collins or Joseph, or both, if they find a upgrade they feel would really help this team. Or they get traded for a protected 2nd round pick.
I will be very disappointed if Collins gets waived. I thought he was an excellent signing.

I feel bad that so many other people want to get rid him. Valuable end of the bench player.

I'm not promoting waiving Collins for the sake of getting rid of him. But his spot, and Josephs, are the two spots that I feel can be waived if an upgrade is at hand. One can make a case for Barbosa too, but depending on the pickup, I'd probably be more comfortable letting Barbosa go than Joseph (we're thin at the 3 as it is).

I liked the Collins signing myself, even though I've been quite disappointed with what he showed in the last couple of games he played... but given he rarely plays, it's understandable, but he still looked lost on defensive rotations.

I'd like to waive Joseph. I do not want to use that roster spot on a project. I want someone reliable there.

I want to pickup a wing with legitimate size (SF) with some NBA experience. Someone who offers a more reliable alternative when Doc wants or needs to go in a different direction than Pierce + Green.

I'd really like Donte Greene. I think having a guy with his size at 6-11 who can play solid defense would be very useful as a deep reserve. 

I thought Greene would have been particularly useful against Philly in those back-to-back games recently. We had to rely very heavily on Pierce and Green in those games (Pierce played 45 minutes in one of those Philly games) to matchup against their athletic forwards (E.Turner, Thaddeus). Against teams like that (Miami, New York), having a third combo forward type or SF with good size would be useful in getting Pierce a short rest here and there when necessary. And of course in situations like foul trouble or injuries.

Someone who can matchup properly against those types of opponents and keep the team's defensive integrity. Instead of forcing Doc to go to a smaller lineup with Lee or bigger lineup with Bass. A guy like Greene would give Doc the option of matching up.

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 01:43:55 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Probably most the same, though perhaps if Bradley looks good Ainge will try moving Bass + Lee for an upgrade at PF or backup C.

Yeah, I think Bradley has far superior defense for all of the smaller guards while Green (and Pierce) could do almost as good a job as Lee defending the bigger ones. If a deal comes along for a really good player, Bass+Lee+picks/fillers seems like the ideal package for a PF/C.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Call me crazy, but I think Danny finds a way to turn Bass or Lee, Melo, and picks into Gortat.  Just a feeling I have.

i agree. and i think he'll overpay a bit around picks and / or cash to get him, if he has to.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Sure he'd be nice but am I the only one not in love with Gortat? I think if Dalembert is bought out he could provide pretty much everything Gortat does and we wouldn't have to give anybody up. A lot would have to fall into place for that but it's my dream scenario
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
This may be out of left field, but I think Collins will be waived and Ben Wallace will be among the possible late-season additions.

Other predictions:

- Kris Joseph and Jason Collins will be waived

- 100% locks not to be traded: Green, Terry, Wilcox, PP, KG

- Most likely to be traded: Courtney Lee, Brandon Bass, Fab Melo

- Most likely to be acquired via trade: Marcin Gortat, Sam Dalembert

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Sure he'd be nice but am I the only one not in love with Gortat? I think if Dalembert is bought out he could provide pretty much everything Gortat does and we wouldn't have to give anybody up. A lot would have to fall into place for that but it's my dream scenario

Dalembert can't run the court like Gortat, score anywhere near as efficiently nor pass as well.

An argument can be made that Gortat is a better shot-blocker than Dalembert and just as good a rebounder.

These guys aren't even close.

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Dalembert can't run the court like Gortat, score anywhere near as efficiently nor pass as well.

An argument can be made that Gortat is a better shot-blocker than Dalembert and just as good a rebounder.

Plus, Dalembert makes Tony Allen look like Albert Einstein when it comes to basketball IQ.

I am not sure Dalembert has made a proper rotation in his life.

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 04:40:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Yeah, not anymore.

The Sammy Dalembert of a few years ago was almost as good as Gortat is now but Dalembert has really dropped off over the last couple of seasons. He just can't cover the same amount of ground defensively as he once could.

Gortat is a big upgrade over Dalembert these days.

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 05:00:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Plus, Dalembert makes Tony Allen look like Albert Einstein when it comes to basketball IQ.

TP, Chris.....that made me laugh....needed one today.

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

TP, Chris.....that made me laugh....needed one today.

Ouch lol I'm not sure he's that bad..I know he has a low basketball IQ.

Another thing I don't think people are taking into account is the salary that Gortat will command after next season, sure he's cheap now but we all know how ridiculous 7 footers are getting paid right now. Do you really want to give Gortat that kind of salary at 30 years old?

I could very well be wrong but Gortat doesn't excite me much considering what we'd likely have to give up to get him
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2012, 06:04:21 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
This may be out of left field, but I think Collins will be waived and Ben Wallace will be among the possible late-season additions.

Other predictions:

- Kris Joseph and Jason Collins will be waived

- 100% locks not to be traded: Green, Terry, Wilcox, PP, KG

- Most likely to be traded: Courtney Lee, Brandon Bass, Fab Melo

- Most likely to be acquired via trade: Marcin Gortat, Sam Dalembert

I am actually very intrigued by Wallace..I haven't watched him in forever so I'm not sure what he has left but I think he's worth kicking the tires on
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
something significant will occur. we will get a starter back, perhaps even a borderline all-star. players i could see us getting would be demarcus cousins, amir johnson, derrick williams, al jefferson, paul milsap, marcin gortat, samuel dalembert, luc maboute, tyreke evans, jimmy butler, david west, timofey mozgov, kousta koufos, tony allen, josh selby, lamarcus aldridge, and lesser likely josh smith, and anderson varejao, and super duper unlikely someone i guarantee danny wants badly - my boy - kenneth faried.

the thinking behind all of this is: our roster is not a playoff roster. in the playoffs you only need 8 players or so. we are seriously about 4 players too deep. danny would love to get the roster down to about 9, but a really, really good quality 9, or even less if necessary.

the guys danny will try and trade for will be players who are either very good at rebounding, and defense, underrated players, who are possibly having troubles on their current teams, or players at the end of their contract.

i wouldnt even be surprised if paul pierce gets traded, since due to position adjusted win score per 48 (which im not sure danny knows about btw)he's having his worst season in a lonng time, and if danny could land milsap and someone else from utah for paul, i think he'll pull the trigger... i know trading paul is a sore spot, but im just being honest. OVERALL - and not just looking at offensive numbers, he's having a subpar season.

and by the way - i dont think the boston celtics landing kevin love is that crazy... with the way he's publicly falling out of love with minny, it's totally possible.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:34:41 PM by jyyzzoel »