Author Topic: Mayo says he didn't kill the trade last year, c's players did?  (Read 8318 times)

Re: Mayo says he didn't kill the trade last year, c's players did?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 11:05:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Who is the MLE big man is the question.
Good question. I hadn't got that far, Camby?

Then we dodged a bullet, because Camby has been useless so far this year, and the Knicks paid him a LOT of money.
Kaman or Lopez?

Or just not spend the MLE. Save it for buyouts.
MLE decreases as the season goes, so by the time buyout are around its not much more than the minimum.

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'd rate Carl Landry and Kwame Brown as the two best available MLE big men.
So yeah, Danny getting Terry was the right move. Just not anyone I'd take over Terry for the MLE to get the C's some more size.

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
“I was in a good situation in Memphis at the time,” said Mayo. “Obviously, Boston is a big-time organization as well. Great players. It would’ve been an honor to play with KG [Kevin Garnett], [Paul] Pierce and [Rajon] Rondo. It would’ve been great to play with those guys and with [Celtics coach] Doc [Rivers].”

Instead, Mayo blamed the deal’s failure on an internal debate between C’s players and the front office over Allen’s future.

“I was pretty much set to come here and something fell through at the very last second,” said Mayo, who collected 24 points (10-19 FG), six rebounds, three assists and two steals in Wednesday night’s loss to the Celtics. “A couple of the guys wanted to keep Ray, and management wanted to make the trade.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/12/13/o-j-mayo-wouldve-been-an-honor-to-play-for-celtics/

Ugh this disgusts me if true. If Danny and Doc are letting players have input on trades, that is a bad thing .

We could have had Mayo here and our MLE to spend on a big man instead of Terry....

that doesn't surprise me, and I am not disgusted. I mean come on, remember the Perkins trade, that killed everyone in the locker room. I mean yeh Jeff Green is a better player but Perk was a brother. And at that time, Ray Allen was still a brother, of course he doesn't think of us as brothers now, but he was. Trading him at that point would've killed our locker room. And I doubt the chemistry at that point would've been good enough to face the Heat.

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, regardless of the big men they could have signed, there are also two issues.

First, it is not a given that Mayo would have resigned.  He would have been fighting for the starting spot with Bradley last year, and if he had lost out, he might have walked, in order to find a situation where he could start and showcase himself for a bigger contract.

Second, the C's nearly made the finals last year, and based on previous history with big, midseason trades that affect the teams core, this team might have fallen apart down the stretch, had they made the trade, and not had that run.  That would be a steep price to pay.

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
First, it is not a given that Mayo would have resigned.  He would have been fighting for the starting spot with Bradley last year, and if he had lost out, he might have walked, in order to find a situation where he could start and showcase himself for a bigger contract.
This is a big thing, I mean that's what he ended up doing with Dallas when the offers he got from the Suns/C's/Whomever didn't come in high enough.

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
MLE decreases as the season goes, so by the time buyout are around its not much more than the minimum.
MLE is prorated, but so is the minimum.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
This is a big thing, I mean that's what he ended up doing with Dallas when the offers he got from the Suns/C's/Whomever didn't come in high enough.

Exactly.  I think a lot of people get into the mindset that everyone should want to sign with the C's, but thats just not the case.  This was a critical point of Mayo's career, where he needs to be able to showcase himself to show that he can be a star...and with Bradley in Boston, he had legitimate competition for the minutes to showcase himself.

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Exactly.  I think a lot of people get into the mindset that everyone should want to sign with the C's, but thats just not the case.  This was a critical point of Mayo's career, where he needs to be able to showcase himself to show that he can be a star...and with Bradley in Boston, he had legitimate competition for the minutes to showcase himself.
I think in the long run, Lee's defensive ability will be more useful to our team than Mayo's scoring anyway.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I think in the long run, Lee's defensive ability will be more useful to our team than Mayo's scoring anyway.

If he can get his head straight on the three pointers, I agree.  Otherwise, I am not so sure Lee will be seeing the minutes in the longrun.

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 12:06:51 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Wow... I really REALLY HATED reading that.

No doubt this is on KG. They were likely scared he would retire. Clearly it wasn't Rajon seeing as how he didn't really care for Ray at that point. It might have been Pierce but he was under contract for two more years.

Had to be KG. At the time he was just starting to play elite at Center and i am sure they had see more then a few glimpses in practice that he still had it.

That's garbage! Mayo, a 2012 first (Perry Jones III, etc.), and the MLE to still get a guy like Terry or Carl Landry?! We gave up all that for a guy who gave us the finger on his way to our Eastern nemesis in Miami.

People say we wouldn't get Terry? Bradley was out still. Just sub in Mayo's name for Lee or Ray, who were both going to play with or are playing with Terry now.

A young core of assets in Green, Mayo, Rondo, Bradley, (Jones III or other rookie), Sullinger, and Melo would have allowed us opportunities to make moves that put us back in contention 2-3 years after the Kg and Pierce era.

Don't care what anyone else says. Allowing players to dictate the squashing of that move set us back.

Pathetic!

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2012, 12:28:41 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

He couldn't walk. He was restricted.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2012, 12:35:26 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

No doubt this is on KG. They were likely scared he would retire. Clearly it wasn't Rajon seeing as how he didn't really care for Ray at that point. It might have been Pierce but he was under contract for two more years.

Had to be KG. At the time he was just starting to play elite at Center and i am sure they had see more then a few glimpses in practice that he still had it.

That's garbage! Mayo, a 2012 first (Perry Jones III, etc.), and the MLE to still get a guy like Terry or Carl Landry?! We gave up all that for a guy who gave us the finger on his way to our Eastern nemesis in Miami.

People say we wouldn't get Terry? Bradley was out still. Just sub in Mayo's name for Lee or Ray, who were both going to play with or are playing with Terry now.

A young core of assets in Green, Mayo, Rondo, Bradley, (Jones III or other rookie), Sullinger, and Melo would have allowed us opportunities to make moves that put us back in contention 2-3 years after the Kg and Pierce era.

Don't care what anyone else says. Allowing players to dictate the squashing of that move set us back.

Pathetic!

This would explain why KG looked to be the most upset by Ray going to the heat. If this is true, then KG stood up for Ray, got a trade that was good for the team nixed to keep Ray, and then Ray gave him and the rest the finger on the way out anyway because Doc and Danny didn't pamper him enough and overpay him. Ugh

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

He couldn't walk. He was restricted.
I'd forgotten that he would have been a RFA.

He still could have just taken the QO and played the year out, in fact that's likely what he'd have done unless Boston offered him a lot more than I'd liked based on how much he seemed to be asking.

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »

Offline TheBig5

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
If this is true, it shows you why you have to take emotion out of all decisions. Ainge should have pulled the trigger like he did on the Perkins trade.

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 01:06:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Pathetic!

I agree. Since when was KG the GM of the Boston Celtics? This is one of the many instances in where players have gotten way too much power and autonomy in sports! It should be up to the GM to decide who stays and who goes, not the players!

Since when can I go up to my boss and request who else works for the company that signs my check and who doesn't?