Makes sense. Always had a tough time believing Mayo squashed the deal. Never stood right with me. So I believe him when he says it wasn't him that stopped the deal.
Anyway, OJ Mayo is no loss. Danny got the superior player in Jason Terry this summer.
I thought that too coming into the season - and I'm sure utilization is helping Mayo look better and Terry is adjusting to a different situation, but I'm not loving Terry so far. I don't think Mayo over RA makes a huge difference in last year's playoffs - not sure he could be fully integrated after a mid season trade.
Let's say that instead of Terry and Lee - Danny spends the MLE on a big man. Signs Pietrus (or Barbosa or both) to help hold down the fort until AB is back. I think that's at least as good as a roster as now, maybe better.
In terms of why KG is so mad at Ray Allen - here's my speculation:
1. Ray finds out through agent he's going to be traded for Mayo
2. Ray tells KG and Pierce
3. KG goes to bat for Ray
4. Doc gets squeamish about trade b/c of KG
5. Danny backs out of trade b/c of KG and Doc
6. Ray leaves in offseason despite same role and bigger money & years with C's
7. KG never talks to Ray again
I cannot see Pierce caring so much about losing a team mate - but I might be wrong.