Author Topic: Mayo says he didn't kill the trade last year, c's players did?  (Read 8315 times)

Mayo says he didn't kill the trade last year, c's players did?
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:34:14 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
“I was in a good situation in Memphis at the time,” said Mayo. “Obviously, Boston is a big-time organization as well. Great players. It would’ve been an honor to play with KG [Kevin Garnett], [Paul] Pierce and [Rajon] Rondo. It would’ve been great to play with those guys and with [Celtics coach] Doc [Rivers].”

Instead, Mayo blamed the deal’s failure on an internal debate between C’s players and the front office over Allen’s future.

“I was pretty much set to come here and something fell through at the very last second,” said Mayo, who collected 24 points (10-19 FG), six rebounds, three assists and two steals in Wednesday night’s loss to the Celtics. “A couple of the guys wanted to keep Ray, and management wanted to make the trade.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/12/13/o-j-mayo-wouldve-been-an-honor-to-play-for-celtics/

Ugh this disgusts me if true. If Danny and Doc are letting players have input on trades, that is a bad thing .

We could have had Mayo here and our MLE to spend on a big man instead of Terry....

Re: Mayo says he didn't kill the trade last year, c's players did?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 09:40:34 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Agents are powerful in the NBA, and Danny is one of the best in the league at taking advantage of his relationships with them to get good deals.

Danny also lived through the teams chemistry basically falling apart the last time he traded a key member of the team in midseason, when not everyone was on board with the trade.

So, while I agree that Danny needs to keep what's best for the team ahead of what the players want, those two things are often intertwined. 

...although (and I hate to re-open this discussion, but it seems relevant), this does make the fact that Ray left being seen as such an affront by people in the front office, as well as players, make a lot more sense.  If a couple of those guys stood up for Ray last year, and Danny and Doc gave in, to make Ray and the others happy...I can see why they were not happy with him going to Miami during the summer. 

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

...although (and I hate to re-open this discussion, but it seems relevant), this does make the fact that Ray left being seen as such an affront by people in the front office, as well as players, make a lot more sense.  If a couple of those guys stood up for Ray last year, and Danny and Doc gave in, to make Ray and the others happy...I can see why they were not happy with him going to Miami during the summer.

I was going to make the same point, but you are right. Looks like Ray is an even bigger traitor now after his teammates stuck up for him and killed the deal.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:02:24 AM by rondohondo »

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:44:58 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I have always thought that OJ is going to be a good player eventually, however, had the trade gone through, we certainly would have a different make up this yr., Yes probably no Jet.  Although to be fair, he might also not have a breakout season like what he is having now because our offense when stagnant still runs through PP, Mayo is certainly impressive at his current pace as he is being given the freedom in the current system he is playing on.

It is a shame though that the trade didn't push through, I myself am completely for this trade...For some reason, I have always thought Ray was going to leave no matter what in the offseason and he did.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Im not so sure I buy this report. If the players on the Celtics have input and stopped a Ray Allen trade, then I cant see these same Celtics giving Celtics management the green light to get rid of Perkins.

Maybe because of the backlash of the Perk trade Danny was hesitant to pull the trigger so quickly a second time around? Which is too bad, I would love love love to have Mayo on this team. I supported the trade last year and I still would have liked to see it happen in hindsight.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Danny is smart.  One day in the future we'll be a rebuilding team and it'll be more important than ever to be seen as a team who keeps their players happy.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Makes sense. Always had a tough time believing Mayo squashed the deal. Never stood right with me. So I believe him when he says it wasn't him that stopped the deal.

Anyway, OJ Mayo is no loss. Danny got the superior player in Jason Terry this summer.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:01:04 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I was going to make the same point, but you are right. Looks like Ray is an even bigger trader now after his teammates stuck up for him and killed the deal.

I still don't think he is a traitor (this is why I hated to bring it up), because this is all about perception.  Unless Ray said to Danny that he shouldn't trade him, because he wants to finish his career in Boston, then I can't put that much on Ray.

Ray did what he felt was best for himself and his family, just like Danny did what he felt was best for the team, when he arranged the trade, and then when he ultimately pulled out of it. 

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 10:31:31 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Makes sense. Always had a tough time believing Mayo squashed the deal. Never stood right with me. So I believe him when he says it wasn't him that stopped the deal.

Anyway, OJ Mayo is no loss. Danny got the superior player in Jason Terry this summer.

25 yr old Mayo and Mle to spend on a big man > Terry

C's were also going to get a 1st round pick in the deal..

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 10:33:01 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
as a Cs fan reading this makes me sick,

We could have made a play for a big with the MLE ( Chris Kaman?)

OJ would have been a perfect fit, his ability to be a volume scorer would have been a perfect piece for the present and future. Rondo, Mayo and AB all compliment each other perfectly as a 1/2 rotation with AB backing up both positions. The post paul pierce celtics team would have been off to an even better projected start (I still like the future but OJ over LEE would have been huge)

PG Rondo
SG OJ
SF Green
PF Sully
?????
6th AB
7th Bass
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

I was going to make the same point, but you are right. Looks like Ray is an even bigger trader now after his teammates stuck up for him and killed the deal.

I still don't think he is a traitor (this is why I hated to bring it up), because this is all about perception.  Unless Ray said to Danny that he shouldn't trade him, because he wants to finish his career in Boston, then I can't put that much on Ray.

Ray did what he felt was best for himself and his family, just like Danny did what he felt was best for the team, when he arranged the trade, and then when he ultimately pulled out of it.

Your definition of being a traitor is a little bizzare. You could probably argue that there's never been a traitor in sports by your definition.

At the very least Ray was a selfish baby scoffing at twice as much money and as close to being a 'traitor' as there is. Does that sound better? Im sure moving to Miami for 2the years and taking his kids away from their schools and hospitals was a family decision.  That's such a joke. Beloved whatbyou want to believe but this was certainly all about him him him.

Basically he could move anywhere in the world and you could argue "he did what's best for his family". What a complete cop out.

I don't even care much since we are talking about a game but as far as sports goes Ray flipped about the biggest bird you can to this franchise. There's literally not one comparable situation of this happening

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 10:39:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
as a Cs fan reading this makes me sick,

We could have made a play for a big with the MLE ( Chris Kaman?)

OJ would have been a perfect fit, his ability to be a volume scorer would have been a perfect piece for the present and future. Rondo, Mayo and AB all compliment each other perfectly as a 1/2 rotation with AB backing up both positions. The post paul pierce celtics team would have been off to an even better projected start (I still like the future but OJ over LEE would have been huge)

PG Rondo
SG OJ
SF Green
PF Sully
?????
6th AB
7th Bass
Kaman got a one year $8 million deal from Dallas. I doubt an MLE deal would have gotten it done and there's no way Danny would give Kaman and his recent injury woes more than a year or two.

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 10:42:21 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think Ray left because pretty much everything about his situation here reminded him that he was in decline as a player.  That includes the Mayo non-deal, Avery Bradley supplanting him, his difficulties being a focal point of the offense, etc. 

Miami was a fresh start with a simpler role - and don't underestimate the value of having an opt-out after this year.  If they win a ring and Ray plays an important part, he'll be making back a lot of the money he left on the table.

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Your definition of being a traitor is a little bizzare. You could probably argue that there's never been a traitor in sports by your definition.

Actually, that kind of is what I am arguing.  Sports isn't war, its a business.  Loyalty is for fans, not players.

Edit: the one exception I might make is for someone like Boozer, who may not be a traitor, but he is pretty unethical for manipulating his release and then breaking his verbal agreement, in order to take more money elsewhere.

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 10:47:25 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow, if this is true, then shame on Danny Ainge. OJ Mayo could've easily been a difference maker in the Miami series in the playoffs and Ray Allen ended up leaving for Miami, anyway!

Is it me or has Ainge not exactly done a stellar job since the KG trade, which was 5 years ago?!

Not to mention, he also got kinda lucky with Kevin McHale on that one