Author Topic: How's my blogging? Call 1-800 JEFF  (Read 3367 times)

How's my blogging? Call 1-800 JEFF
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:18:05 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
So, there's been some chatter about the site changes.  Completely understand and appreciate the feedback on all that.  I've passed along the feedback and wait patiently for the powers that be to consider, adjust, and improve.  Feel free to continue providing feedback on other threads but that isn't what this is for.

In some of that feedback some folks have talked about our blogging style.  That is something that I do have complete control over and hold near and dear to my heart.

On one hand, I could point to our traffic numbers and say "hey, you guys are voting with your feet, ...er, eyeballs, ... err, clicks.  So no worries.

Still, being a humble guy always looking to improve, I feel comfortable enough to ask for opinions.  How are we doing?

Some clarifications before we begin:

Articles - full length stories that are mostly original content - I think we have some talented writers on the site and we try to give you these as often as time and inspiration permits.

News/Notes posts - designed to inform about the latest happenings - not always full of original thought but we usually try to offer some kind of analysis.  When I don't have time for that, I try to dump them into the Daily News and Notes storystream where you'll also find FLC's daily links.  When I actually have something beyond a snarky remark, I'll do them as stand-alone posts.  This may be confusing but it is the best that I can think of right now.

Other - we've also got game previews, quick game recaps, quick video recaps ("Three at the Buzzer"), long video shows ("The Garden Report") and maybe another category or two that I can't think of right now.

so your thoughts on how we are blogging?  what do you want to see more of (within reason)?  what are you not so crazy about?

someone recently called me out on the promo blurbs (large text under the pics) being redundant to the text just below it - I was guilty of being lazy and cutting and pasting the first sentence into that box forgetting the user experience - now I almost always try to put something unique into that promo area - so good feedback led to better blogging

and PLEASE - if you are just going to say "I skip the front page for the forums so I don't know" then just skip posting that here - that's not helpful

so, constructive feedback anyone?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: How's my blogging? Call 1-800 JEFF
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 10:10:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let me respond but also let me state I haven't read anything on the front page since the change. That, however, shouldn't change my opinion on certain areas as I read the front page for some 5 years before that.

1. I think the articles are great and the writing in the articles top notch for a blog style site. Let's face it, most blogs unless sponsored by NBA.com or espn.com don't have access to players or coaches or owners. So the analysis and opinions that are brought forth and the quality in which those items are articulated is excellent in my opinion. Also, Roy's FAQ on the salary cap, the occasional humorous article from Bent and Steve Weinman's articles, when he was participating as a writer were worthy of any national site. Want to ad more Bill Simmons like humor and incite, have IndeedProceed write a weekly op-ed. His posts in the forums are funny, witty and very entertaining and I know he could pull it off and be a huge success doing it.

2. The news and notes that you post are timely and many times ahead of even ESPN because you post newsworthy Tweets and rumors that ESPN and some of the other sports sites can't post until they get some confirmation. I personally love the fact they come with a spin that is geared towards the one team I love, the Boston Celtics. It helps me to quickly see whether this is a news item I want to bother getting informed further on.

3. The chatroom is great during games, actually better than the forum thread as TB has a firm grasp of the situation in the chat and doesn't let it get too negative or feisty. She's top notch there. The chatroom is also a fabulous place to be during our three drafts(CB, Pick2, Historical) we have in the forums.

4. I loved the Fanposts and often used to participate. I think their de-emphasis has hurt the front page greatly. There was always a ton of good basketball talk going on in them.

Those are the things I participated in on the front page and have opinions on. Hope that helps Jeff.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I don't know if it would get you in trouble with SB, but mabey link any new article you write in the forum with it's own thread?

I mean, I still tend to get to read you awesome writing Jeff, because most articles show up in a thread anyway or if they are mentioned by a poster, I will brave the front page to specifically read it, but perhaps you could put up a post each day linking the days news/ your articles?

Kind of like a FLcelts gamethread, only with the news of the day?

but again, I can see that ticking off SBnation...so not sure that's a possibility.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:36:59 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I don't know if it would get you in trouble with SB, but mabey link any new article you write in the forum with it's own thread?

that would be burdensome and clunky

I suggest you sign up for a feed reader like Google Reader and subscribe to the blog articles

this suggestion does not help SBN in any way as they'd lose whatever ad views you'd normally give them by clicking on the blog but if the front page is that radioactive to you folks, feel free to bypass it altogether and read our posts as text only

(reminding myself to stay on topic, this is not about the re-design)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 10:37:48 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Game previews/game threads are great. So is game chat. Forums are the best around due to vigilant (even if sometimes excessive for me) moderation. Do we still have the list of links to Celtics related articles daily? Those were great, though I don't look for them these days with so much on the front page. I typically go straight to the forum.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

that would be burdensome and clunky

I suggest you sign up for a feed reader like Google Reader and subscribe to the blog articles

this suggestion does not help SBN in any way as they'd lose whatever ad views you'd normally give them by clicking on the blog but if the front page is that radioactive to you folks, feel free to bypass it altogether and read our posts as text only

(reminding myself to stay on topic, this is not about the re-design)

Yea, I realize it doesn't help SBN.

that said, I don't think it's any clunkier than the front page they forced upon you, with it's complete misuse of design space and slow down issues.  SBN has every right to try to monetize it's bandwidth by going with that magazine = click format, I just think the design they went with is awful and doesn't work for me. 

But I know that's not the point of the thread, so i digress. I just wanted to confirm to you that I still love your writing, and I do read everything I see posted in the forums. I will look into the Google Reader as well.

I guess I don't think you need to change anything about your writing style though man, It's still the best around. 

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 11:30:27 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
This website used to be my homepage and I relied for this site on all Celtics related news. Unfortunately, after the changes, I barely come to the site anymore. I like the old style where you have blurbs about an article and then you could read on if you want to get more info. I also like the quotes and what not. But now with the only info being mostly the article title, I dont want to change the page in order to get the info, therefore I have been going to ESPN Boston site that has the same set up as before (although not as informational and effective as you used to have). The only time I come to the site occasionally is to the see the forum that I still find it interesting.

If you could add the old set up where you can get all the news and info on one site I would come back more often, but now I am finding this site to go further and further down on my favorite website rankings.
Baby Jesus!