Author Topic: Rondo's Assists Starting to be problem?  (Read 6071 times)

Re: Rondo's Assists Starting to be problem?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 11:38:09 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Seriously? This again. Complain when he shoots. Complain when he passes. It's never ending. Rondos best asset is facilitating an passing the rock. Why on earth would you want him to stop doing that? Unbelievable.

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 12:43:13 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Seriously? This again. Complain when he shoots. Complain when he passes. It's never ending. Rondos best asset is facilitating an passing the rock. Why on earth would you want him to stop doing that? Unbelievable.

I hate when he breaths to much, I wish he'd just stop doing that, it throws everyone off  ::)

Sarcasm aside, enough of these threads. Like pearl said, no matter what the kid does it's "oh he does x to much."
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 03:58:42 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
His game is to facilitate and create shot opportunities for teammates. His assists equals to points. If he was trying really hard to get an assists to the point that he's desperately making outrageous passes then I get it, but he's always finding open teammates. It's not a bad thing.

This is why I said long ago that Rondo should be traded, immediately, just so he can get appreciated, because a lot here does not.

No matter what he does, it's never good enough or it's always too much for some people.

It's so unfair for him to be treated this way. There's a complain for every thing he does. There will be teams who would appreciate what he brings to the table.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 08:16:38 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
he's always played like this? now he's just a more efficient shooter now too, what's the problem?

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 08:29:23 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't think it's unbelievable. He passed up a wide open floater in the first quarter to drop the ball into traffic and turn it over yesterday. He makes mistakes when he tries to overpass, that's a fact. Luckily, these are fewer and farther between these days than they've been in the past.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 08:44:32 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Have not read all the posts on this subject, but he loses his man a lot on defense(got away with a couple of steals off Mayo with backpokes though)

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think it's unbelievable. He passed up a wide open floater in the first quarter to drop the ball into traffic and turn it over yesterday. He makes mistakes when he tries to overpass, that's a fact. Luckily, these are fewer and farther between these days than they've been in the past.
Floater isn't his shot, doesn't use it with a ton of confidence. Always has been more of an off the backboard shooter in the lane.

I wish he'd work on it more so he wouldn't have to pass when he gets deep intot the defense.

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 08:52:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Have not read all the posts on this subject, but he loses his man a lot on defense(got away with a couple of steals off Mayo with backpokes though)
He was crowding Mayo hard to deny the jump shot and trusting his help. Overall he did a good job until he started to get a bit gassed. Got hooked twice and shoved twice and only got the call once too.

Sadly late our help got tired too and Mayo hit some tough runners (and some easy ones)

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 09:28:24 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
This is NOT a new thing.  This started years ago. 

Doc must not care, because I know it would've been beaten into Rondo by now to be more aggressive offensively.

Too many easy points are lost by Rondo trading open layups for possible assists.

One of many things the Celtics do to flabbergast their fans.

Most of the time Rondo trades "open layups" for possible assists they aren't really open layups. Rondo drives into the paint and there's a defender nearby, but since Rondo doesn't try and shoot the ball the defender doesn't try and block the shot. Since nobody tried to block the (non) shot, people claim it was an open layup.

So if defenders aren't going to attempt to block the shot, he needs to adjust and start shooting it.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 09:29:58 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
He turns the ball over a bit too much for my taste, but he does so trying to make plays.  I can live with that.

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I don't know if this is the same one I saw, but I definitely saw one too.  I thought it was in the 3rd quarter though.  Could be the same, could be a different instance.  8 feet from the hoop in the lane, in mid air, open and passed it into traffic for a turnover?

I love the accusations from the "Rondo supporters" that people who wonder if Rondo is thinking too much assists are are "Rondo haters" and criticize everything he does.  Is it really so treasonous to be curious when a remarkably intelligent Rajon Rondo has a wide open shot from 8 feet, is literally uncontested in mid air about to take the wide open shot and decides to pass into traffic and turn the ball over?

I love Rajon and I love that he is a pass first point guard.  But some of these passing plays are simply not intelligent plays and I didn't see from some of the most unselfish players of our time (Nash, Kidd, etc).  I'm sure other intelligent players besides Rondo have questionable tendencies as well and I think it is right to be curious about all of them.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Rondo had a bad decision making night last night.  IMO, it was his worst of the year.  Not only did he make a bunch of bad decisions with the ball, but he was a lot slower recognizing things than he normally is.  A handful of times, it seems that he forced a pass when he saw the open man too late, and it led to a broken play or turnover.

But, overall, I think it was an aberation, based on the way he has played all season.

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Rondo had a bad decision making night last night.  IMO, it was his worst of the year.  Not only did he make a bunch of bad decisions with the ball, but he was a lot slower recognizing things than he normally is.  A handful of times, it seems that he forced a pass when he saw the open man too late, and it led to a broken play or turnover.

But, overall, I think it was an aberation, based on the way he has played all season.

Maybe a few rough decisions here and there but not as bad as Mayo! I cant believe the Mavs almost hit the 30 turnover mark. And to not even get the ball in bounds with 5 seconds left of a double overtime game to get a shot towards the rim. I mean, why was everyone on the other side of half court? Go get the ball and make a run.

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 09:58:37 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I thought he started the game off poorly in that regard but got better as the game went on.

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 10:07:05 AM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
You know, I'm not a huge hater of Rondo going for assists as much as I am about Paul Pierce Iso Plays. Last night was so frustrating in that regard.