Author Topic: Rondo's Assists Starting to be problem?  (Read 6068 times)

Rondo's Assists Starting to be problem?
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:15:28 PM »

Offline karimb

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47
It feels like Rondo always has assists on his mind. Even though his streak was broken, it still feels like he is thinking about racking up his assists numbers. He needs to really be more aggressive attacking the basket and let the assists come naturally.

My portfolio website: www.freshcontrast.com

Re: Rondo's Assists Starting to be problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:16:50 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Hes a playmaker. Calm down.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
When Rondo scores we usually lose.

He is our main facilitator. Assists are equal to points.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »

Offline Swoopz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
Hes a playmaker. Calm down.

This. He's always thinking about getting others involved and moving the ball to get the best shot possible. Sure sometimes he passes up open shots but I highly doubt that it's because he wants the stat

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:24:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It feels like Rondo always has assists on his mind. Even though his streak was broken, it still feels like he is thinking about racking up his assists numbers. He needs to really be more aggressive attacking the basket and let the assists come naturally.

Being that he's always been a pass first PG, him wanting to pass the ball is his natural inclination. He's not doing anything differently than he always has - he's always looked to pass 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Its just that fans are now expecting him to become this breakout scorer. The expectations on him have changed, not his preference to pass.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »

Offline karimb

• The Green Kornet
I dont mind him passing up shots  because there are better shooters on this team  but sometimes i would rather see him aggressive and drive to the hoop instead of kicking out for a three and we miss the shot...

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
He did pass when he should have shot the ball a couple of times.
he is in relaxed mode tonight. but that's Rondo.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 09:42:52 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
ever watch a good jump shooting / shoot first point guard on a good team?  jack their own shots and other guys are standing around

rondo actually goes out of his way to get the hot hand the ball, get guys who run or play good defense shots, miss matches, etc

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 09:45:05 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Here's something to think about, when you consider the pro's and con's of regular season rondo. When Rondo goes to the hoops he gets hit hard, and goes down hard.

In the interest of longevity, it only makes sense to change your style of play in the regular season, and while it is slightly less efficient to go for 13/13 instead of 20/10 that you tend to see from playoff rondo. It's not to the point where it will cost us many games.

When Rondo manipulates the defense and finds the open man. The open man tends to find the open shot and doesn't take any physical toll at all.

It's not a perfect mindset, but you also don't KNOW when you're going to take the hard set. So I think occasionally rondo will anticipate a hits coming a defer, and the hit doesn't come.

I don't think Rondo likes it when he does that, it probably eats at him a little, but its part of the game for regular season rondo.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Here's something to think about, when you consider the pro's and con's of regular season rondo. When Rondo goes to the hoops he gets hit hard, and goes down hard.

In the interest of longevity, it only makes sense to change your style of play in the regular season, and while it is slightly less efficient to go for 13/13 instead of 20/10 that you tend to see from playoff rondo. It's not to the point where it will cost us many games.

When Rondo manipulates the defense and finds the open man. The open man tends to find the open shot and doesn't take any physical toll at all.

It's not a perfect mindset, but you also don't KNOW when you're going to take the hard set. So I think occasionally rondo will anticipate a hits coming a defer, and the hit doesn't come.

I don't think Rondo likes it when he does that, it probably eats at him a little, but its part of the game for regular season rondo.

Well said, especially considering that an injured Rondo won't help our team at all.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »

Offline karimb

• The Green Kornet

Good point. I would rather have a healthy Rondo in the playoffs and let him be more aggressive then. Rather  then risking an injury now by attacking the hoop too much.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
This is NOT a new thing.  This started years ago. 

Doc must not care, because I know it would've been beaten into Rondo by now to be more aggressive offensively.

Too many easy points are lost by Rondo trading open layups for possible assists.

One of many things the Celtics do to flabbergast their fans.

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 11:26:12 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Yawn . . . another "Rondo passes too much" thread.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 11:32:12 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Assists bring points to the board. Usually bringing points to the board is not a problem.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 11:33:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
This is NOT a new thing.  This started years ago. 

Doc must not care, because I know it would've been beaten into Rondo by now to be more aggressive offensively.

Too many easy points are lost by Rondo trading open layups for possible assists.

One of many things the Celtics do to flabbergast their fans.

Most of the time Rondo trades "open layups" for possible assists they aren't really open layups. Rondo drives into the paint and there's a defender nearby, but since Rondo doesn't try and shoot the ball the defender doesn't try and block the shot. Since nobody tried to block the (non) shot, people claim it was an open layup.