Author Topic: Wizards Rejected Trade For Harden?  (Read 2175 times)

Wizards Rejected Trade For Harden?
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:08:56 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Washington Wizards declined a trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder for James Harden, according to multiple people with knowledge of the proposed deal.

Wizards' owner Ted Leonsis was unwilling to commit to an $80 million max contract offer over five seasons to Harden.

Bradley Beal and Chris Singleton would have been traded to the Thunder in return for Harden, according to sources.

Harden was ultimately traded by Oklahoma City to the Rockets.

One Wizards official denied that Oklahoma City had offered Harden in exchange for Beal and Singleton, stating that the Thunder was also seeking an established player — which the Wizards didn’t have — in return.

“That’s not true,” the official said about the proposed deal.

Via Michael Lee/Washington Post

Re: Wizards Rejected Trade For Harden?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:20:20 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
James Harden would have been perfect for John Wall.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:26:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The report says that they didn't want to hit the luxury tax with their current squad plus Harden. Which if true just shows you how bad the Okafor/Ariza deal was.

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 12:33:10 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The report says that they didn't want to hit the luxury tax with their current squad plus Harden. Which if true just shows you how bad the Okafor/Ariza deal was.

A Wall, Harden, Ariza, Okafor, Nene starting 5 would've been pretty good though - definitely a playoff team in the Eastern Conference. However, I can kinda see the hesitation. If you're an owner paying the luxury tax, you wanna be a legitimate contender. Still... A Harden/Wall backcourt is something you can build around for sure. Not to mention the influence Harden could provide to Wall.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I don't know about anyone else, but I also didn't think Harden would be this good off of OKC. I thought he was a nice player, but not what he's been in Houston. That's me anyways.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 05:00:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The Washington Wizards declined a trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder for James Harden, according to multiple people with knowledge of the proposed deal.

Wizards' owner Ted Leonsis was unwilling to commit to an $80 million max contract offer over five seasons to Harden.

Bradley Beal and Chris Singleton would have been traded to the Thunder in return for Harden, according to sources.

Harden was ultimately traded by Oklahoma City to the Rockets.

One Wizards official denied that Oklahoma City had offered Harden in exchange for Beal and Singleton, stating that the Thunder was also seeking an established player — which the Wizards didn’t have — in return.

“That’s not true,” the official said about the proposed deal.

Via Michael Lee/Washington Post

I'd tend to believe that the Thunder wanted an established player to plug into Harden's spot.

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

A Wall, Harden, Ariza, Okafor, Nene starting 5 would've been pretty good though - definitely a playoff team in the Eastern Conference. However, I can kinda see the hesitation. If you're an owner paying the luxury tax, you wanna be a legitimate contender. Still... A Harden/Wall backcourt is something you can build around for sure. Not to mention the influence Harden could provide to Wall.

You really don't know how awful Okafor and Ariza have been this year do you?

EDIT: It's a shame the Wizards had to amnesty Blatche instead of Okafor. I'd be interested in Emeka as a defensive pest off the bench, even if he has been horrible for the Wiz this year.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:08:20 PM by MJohnnyboy »

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 05:05:56 PM »

Offline CantBeRight

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Not 1...not 2...not 3...not 4...BUT 17
As a Rockets fan,

Thank you Washington.

Celtics fan in Houston.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 05:34:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I seriously doubt that. Both are Alpha ball handlers. Look what Harden being paired with Lin has done to Lin's game.

Lin is basically a spot up shooter whenever Harden is in the game with him and he's failing miserably at that role. I could see Harden having the same effect with Wall.

Harden is best suited being paired with someone like Step Curry or other PG that can still be effective without the ball being in his hands to initiate the offense.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I seriously doubt that. Both are Alpha ball handlers. Look what Harden being paired with Lin has done to Lin's game.

Lin is basically a spot up shooter whenever Harden is in the game with him and he's failing miserably at that role. I could see Harden having the same effect with Wall.

Harden is best suited being paired with someone like Step Curry or other PG that can still be effective without the ball being in his hands to initiate the offense.
Westbrook and Harden got along fine.  Lin just isn't that good and never was.  He had a great 10 game stretch, but was always going to come back down to earth. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 06:18:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Westbrook and Harden got along fine.  Lin just isn't that good and never was.  He had a great 10 game stretch, but was always going to come back down to earth.
They got along fine because they were on the court together only about half the time. Harden was the main ball handler when Westbrook was on the bench and when they were together they shared the duties. As a starter alongside another major ball handler, Harden will cause a problem for that type of PG playing most of their minutes with him.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 06:43:09 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

They got along fine because they were on the court together only about half the time. Harden was the main ball handler when Westbrook was on the bench and when they were together they shared the duties. As a starter alongside another major ball handler, Harden will cause a problem for that type of PG playing most of their minutes with him.

I agree with Moranis. Jeremy Lin is the problem there. James Harden can function perfectly well alongside a guard like Westbrook or Wall and vice versa.

That said, I hope Houston doesn't write Jeremy Lin off because of the pair's (Lin's) initial struggles. I think Jeremy Lin will improve gradually over time and could be a really good player 2-3 years from now.

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 06:55:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If you look at 10-11 and 11-12, Harden scored about 14 points less per36 with Westbrook in the game than he did with Westbrook out during the regular season, about 9 points less per36 during the playoffs.

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 07:03:48 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
OKC certainly made a much better trade with Houston. Martin lamb and a first is much better than beal and singleton. Wall and harden would have been an interesting back court.