Author Topic: Has commenting dropped off because of this crappy new design?  (Read 26833 times)

Re: Has commenting dropped off because of this crappy new design?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 09:58:34 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't think my forum posting has been affected, but I will admit i completely skip the front page now and just go directly to the forums. I just hate the front page.
Ditto. Loads WAYYY too slow due to the boatload of http requests, 2k+ DOM elements and far too many DNS requests.

From a technical point of view, it's really, really, REALLY heavy. Even when you DON'T take into account that it's a news-site, which is supposed to be fast and agile as opposed to all pretty and stuff.

Usability-wise I'm not even going to start dissing it, because it's slowness drags every other part of the experience down.

Agree. Also wonder when SB will be more mobile friendly. Reading and posting from phones and tablets simply doesn't work well.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
My forum posting has gone down and I haven't written a fan post yet (although I did pretty infrequently before).  I thought I'd come around to the new layout over time (similar to how I did with timeline on facebook), but I haven't yet.  Maybe soon.

My feelings are the same now as it was when the changes were made:  this feels more like Jeff's blog rather than a blogging community.  I still come because I think Jeff is a great blogger and I enjoy the forums, but the entire feel for the site is different for me now.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
One thing that is confusing in this new design
How can you check on your profile your last posts that you posted?

Click on name in a post or if its you, click on 'profile'

Mouse over (or click if on your phone) profile again on the top menu

Show messages

Oh thank you!

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I wrote a month and a half ago about the marginalization of the Fan Posts and I agree with you 100%.  But, no matter how much we bring this up they'll never change it back.  I tend to skip all the main stories as well, as many of them are simply theories or imaginings.  Very little "news" is actually reported.  This is turning into Bleacher Report.

Here's what I wrote, which I think plays in line with your comments:
Since the site's redesign, which marginalized the Fan Posts by pushing them so far down the page, there have barely been any comments made in the Fan Post section.  If you look at the past 12-15 posts, most have 0 comments, and most posts are well thought out and worthy of discussion.  I always found the Fan Posts to be the second most important part of the site, next to the "breaking news" (Moderator Posts) at the top.

The Forums are fine, but the Posts really allow for more of a personal expression of one's thoughts.  The comments are easier to read and everything is better organized.  With the Forums, you have to go back and sometimes read pages upon pages of pasted "quotes" and silly comments just to get to the meat of the discussion, but that's not so with the Posts.  With the posts, everything is laid out for you in one clean, organized page.

If possible, I think it would be an improvement to the site to move the Fan Posts farther up, perhaps replacing the "Latest News" section, which simply repeats news headlines directly adjacent to it.  That section seems a bit redundant, so it can probably be killed.

Viva la Fan Posts!

Thanks for your time.

p.s. I do understand the irony that I used a Forum to bring up this topic of discussion.  I assumed a Post would be largely ignored.

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
the de-emphasis on FanPosts is an issue that they are looking at very closely and will probably result in fixes
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Agree. Also wonder when SB will be more mobile friendly. Reading and posting from phones and tablets simply doesn't work well.
I don't mind the mobile site on my iPhone, at least as far as reading is concerned. It has a similar feel to the old style. The load is not nearly as heavy as the main page in a browser. I'm not sure how it is for comments, though; I never comment front page.

I've tried to like the new format, but it's not happening for me. I split the difference and just visit less often. I miss the funny captions on pictures.

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I pretty much only visit the forums. I never read the daily links any more, which is a bummer but they are just cumbersome and without preview titles there is nothing to grab my attention.

I might read one-third as many blog posts as before. Again, with no preview I get intrigued a lot less often.

So, I'm left with the forums, but even there I need to scroll halfway down the front page to reach them.

It's a bummer.

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
No one ever likes changes to UI on sites they use. (See: The Humane Interface for detailed discussion.)

I will say I don't have speed issues, but it's obvious the SBN is juicing up the ability of their sub-sites to drive revenue. Hey do you think they bought CB for charity? Markos might play a loony lefty at DailyKos, but the guy is a shrew businessman.

To me the forums have remained unchanged which is cool. I always have felt that's the core of the CB community. I see the front page as the top of that community, with social integration, etc driving further community growth, and that's a good thing.

Integrating the commenting on articles versus forums is actually a hard problem and parallels an issue at my current job. I used to think it should flow through, but now I like it separate.

Anyways the community >> the interface, so I'll be staying.

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 11:24:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't participate in the front page because when I was banned a while back my front page posting privileges were taken away as well and never returned. I liked reading the front page and every once in a while participated but once the right to participate was taken away, I never returned, even after the new format came in.

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I wrote a month and a half ago about the marginalization of the Fan Posts and I agree with you 100%.  But, no matter how much we bring this up they'll never change it back.  I tend to skip all the main stories as well, as many of them are simply theories or imaginings.  Very little "news" is actually reported.  This is turning into Bleacher Report.

Here's what I wrote, which I think plays in line with your comments:
Since the site's redesign, which marginalized the Fan Posts by pushing them so far down the page, there have barely been any comments made in the Fan Post section.  If you look at the past 12-15 posts, most have 0 comments, and most posts are well thought out and worthy of discussion.  I always found the Fan Posts to be the second most important part of the site, next to the "breaking news" (Moderator Posts) at the top.

The Forums are fine, but the Posts really allow for more of a personal expression of one's thoughts.  The comments are easier to read and everything is better organized.  With the Forums, you have to go back and sometimes read pages upon pages of pasted "quotes" and silly comments just to get to the meat of the discussion, but that's not so with the Posts.  With the posts, everything is laid out for you in one clean, organized page.

If possible, I think it would be an improvement to the site to move the Fan Posts farther up, perhaps replacing the "Latest News" section, which simply repeats news headlines directly adjacent to it.  That section seems a bit redundant, so it can probably be killed.

Viva la Fan Posts!

Thanks for your time.

p.s. I do understand the irony that I used a Forum to bring up this topic of discussion.  I assumed a Post would be largely ignored.

+1

I concur with these observations and suggestions.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
This is turning into Bleacher Report.

Turning into Bleacher Report? You kiss your mother with that mouth?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Maybe it's because more stories are being published - but maybe it's because of this wretched design that took the place of what was in-place and working just fine before.

It seems like comments on regular day-to-day posts are lower than before the design changes.

I love this new bleacher report attitude SBNation has adopted, emphasizing money and advertising over quality user experience.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
This is how I feel. I usually don't find the blog posts particularly interesting and I feel like there is more navigation now to get to forums. I would like to see the forum links up top again.

Celticsblog has been great at building community, but the writing has never been particularly good quality and very rarely has any original content (such as interviews based on direct access to players). I am not a fan of all the reposting of content from elsewhere with a some snarky comments.

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2012, 02:51:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I tend to skip all the main stories as well, as many of them are simply theories or imaginings.  Very little "news" is actually reported. 

This is always a source of debate, but the place of a blog isn't necessarily to report news.  That's a big part of what we do, but writing feature articles is a big part of the blog experience, too.  If people solely want news, they're probably just as well served at ESPN Boston.  Perhaps it's pretentious, but I think a lot of the authors here (myself included) like to think that they occasionally add insight or drive discussion in a way that fans enjoy.

This is how I feel. I usually don't find the blog posts particularly interesting and I feel like there is more navigation now to get to forums. I would like to see the forum links up top again.

Celticsblog has been great at building community, but the writing has never been particularly good quality and very rarely has any original content (such as interviews based on direct access to players). I am not a fan of all the reposting of content from elsewhere with a some snarky comments.

Haha.  Ouch.  This is an equally valid point of view.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I just read the forums now. The home page just never grew on me. It might be like that for most ppl and that's why comments are down.

This.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 03:04:59 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
This latest update has caused me to avoid talking to my wife.
Still don't believe in Joe.