Author Topic: Has commenting dropped off because of this crappy new design?  (Read 26830 times)

Re: Has commenting dropped off because of this crappy new design?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 05:34:25 AM »

Offline YallahCeltics34

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Yeah there was a topic on the front page about the new design about 2 months ago (?) I'm sure none of you saw it since most of you skip the front page anyway, and I don't blame you. I hate the new front page as well. For the person who made the comparison between the old site being a newspaper and the new site being a magazine is spot on. The old site for me was soooo much better. It gave emphasis to ALL stories, not just 3 little boxes under a huge box rendering 3 stories almost useless. Fanposts are being pushed down so much you have to scroll for days to see them. I have also noticed the comments on the front page stories are down. It seems like many people have went to different sites and/or just stopped posting here. Personally, it would take alot for me to stop posting here and a change like this hasn't stopped me, although I do prefer the old site.

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 05:46:47 AM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
Trolling CB hahaha, that's pretty yang.

I don't think anyone prefers the new design, but it's up to SBNation and therefore isn't going to change.

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 07:10:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think some interest drops when we are not winning as much.  You always have fair weather fans.

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 07:14:52 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I don't go to the front page ever.

Usually (hopefully) I can get to any articles I want via links on twitter

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 08:13:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
didn't like the change when it first happened and like it even less now.  Rarely bother with the main page and very, very rarely post there now. 

almost exclusively visit the forums.  will really only go to the main page if there's nothing new or interesting in the forums that day (which is very rare).

would be interested to see Jeff weigh in on this topic.

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
would be interested to see Jeff weigh in on this topic.

at this point, what else do you really want me to say?  I'm sorry?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 08:29:36 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
The front page comments don't load here or over at BC Interruption in Internet explorer 9 so I would have no way of knowing.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I head straight to the forums only because I have been frustrated with the fact the I cant comment on the front page and SBNation. Do i need a different name and password? Not that I am going to start commenting there at this point, I much prefer the forums myself.

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 08:48:17 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I till visit the site every day for my celtics fix. Don't comment berry often anymore because of the argumentative nature of forums. Just don't have the time or patience anymore.

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 08:49:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I head straight to the forums only because I have been frustrated with the fact the I cant comment on the front page and SBNation. Do i need a different name and password? Not that I am going to start commenting there at this point, I much prefer the forums myself.

Yes, the forums and front page require different accounts, since they're not fully integrated.  Basically, CelticsBlog's forums run essentially as a different site.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 09:16:11 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
This is coming off as piling on, so I'd like to briefly add-

- Aesthetically, I think the new design is modern and beautiful.

- 99% of people hate every change to facebook; it's mostly because they hate change

- I don't have an ipad, but it seems like the new design is very ipad friendly

- While it has changed my fanpost habits, I'm still checking the site every day

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
I have also bookmarked the Forum and come directly here. I don't really like the front page and half the time it won't allow to to get to forums, so I just pass on it.

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Yeah, I'd agree. The front page is a mess, and it's difficult to navigate - although that's not exclusive to this blog. SB has destroyed the Oklahoma football site I frequent, as well. It's a negative, overall, to participation on the site, although I've been pretty busy and haven't had a lot of time to do so.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 09:50:44 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I don't think anyone prefers the new design, but it's up to SBNation and therefore isn't going to change.
True if Jeff wants to keep CB hosted by SBNation.  I'm guessing SBNation takes care of a lot of the technical issues that come with hosting a site that Jeff and staff used to have to take care of themselves.  A lot less headache for them probably.  So there're trade-offs; a user interface that users don't like as well, but far fewer headaches for the site owner.  It's a reasonable trade-off, in my view.

I don't like the new front page as well as the old either, but have gotten accustomed to the new, so no longer have major issues with it.  Besides, if I want to see the articles in a 'table of contents' format with a few lines of the content showed, I also use FeedDemon feed reader, and CB is one of a number of Celtics sites bookmarked in there, which, in a way, almost duplicates what the old CB functioned like.

At the end of day, the site is about the community that contributes, and whether or not you appreciate the many writers and commenters that provide the content and insight.  That, and whether or not you like and are comfortable with the way a site is moderated, etc.  I appreciate that CB doesn't use too heavy a hand in their moderation, and it has some of the best commenters around.  A little homerish, sure, but that's the nature of a fansite.

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I pretty much only come to the forums, but my commenting has dropped off because I've been more focused on football (and before that politics) than on basketball. Come early winter and I'll tune more into basketball.

I hate to admit the above, but that's just the reality given that I only have so much bandwidth for entertainment (after doling out existing bandwidth to family and work)...
Celtics fan for life.