Author Topic: Boy was I wrong, I wanted Jujuan Johnson over Marshon Brooks...  (Read 8714 times)

Re: Boy was I wrong, I wanted Jujuan Johnson over Marshon Brooks...
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 12:44:35 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
jajuan is playing for the mad ants d-league team in indiana

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 01:35:51 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
JJJ is terrible.

The day I heard he wasn't returning to Boston was the day I became a happy man. Moore on the other hand, was a solid player for us.

When you get drafted in the first round and outplayed by your teammate who got drafted in the second round...that's usually not a good sign!!

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 07:53:37 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I was praying for Kenneth Faried to keep falling.
as was I but based on who was available when Danny picked, I was hoping for either Brooks or JJJ

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 08:05:31 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Brooks would have been firepower off the bench for Boston, and if he was retained there and got stuff done his rookie, year, there would have been more of a reason to dump Ray Allen last season and actually get something for him. 

I wanted Kenneth Faried.  Too bad Danny couldn't have moved up for him.  Using hindsight, Lavoy Allen would be quite useful, as would Kyle Singler or the aforementioned Parsons.

Brook likely wouldn't have gotten OFF that bench for Boston.

The best thing that could have happened to him at that spot in the draft, did:  He got traded to a crappy team that could afford to play him.

I don't agree.  The guy has a ton offensive talent, and Boston's stable culture could have helped him become more of a well rounded player. The Cs were starved for offense last season.

He would have been at best the third SG behind AB and Ray.  (likely behind Pietrus at that spot as well) 

I agree with the idea that he isn't the prize the Celtics missed and that the Celtics used that asset well by ending up with Lee. 

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 08:40:47 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Scoring guards are dime a dozen. Celtics aren't missing anything. Marshon is nothing special.

They are missing a decent trade asset at the very least.

Ainge turned JJ pick into Courtney Lee. It counts as a win.

And now Ainge can turn Courtney Lee into a better win

Yeah well danny pulled a horse shoe out of his butt on that.

Your original claim still doesn't make sense. At the very least Danny should have been able to pull of the same exact trade with Brooks and presumably Brooks could have been a contributor on the team last year

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 09:26:18 AM »

Offline cavman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
If Brooks was here last year:
How much time would he have seen behind Ray?
Would he have kept Bradley from blossoming when Ray got hurt? Would he have provided the defensive pressure that makes Bradley so valuable to the Celtics?

None of these "I wish" things exists in a vacuum. You have to accept the negatives along with potential positives.
"The most important thing is the ability to communicate.  It's not how much you know.  It's how you communicate what you know."  Red

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Brooks is averaging about 11 minutes per night in New Jersey Brooklyn, despite putting up very good offensive numbers.  That should tell you how much the rest of his game is valued.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:25:35 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
I can't wrap my head around any scenario where drafting JJJ in hindsight was better than drafting Brooks.

I mean we likely could have flipped Brooks last year for someone legitimate to help us out last year. You know, someone who could have helped us in a certain 7 game series.

This is all in hindsight. Its not like I knew at the time. I just think it's fairly obvious mistake

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 09:42:18 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
Basically if you are going to tell me we would have been worse off last year and this year and beyond if we drafted Brooks instead of JJJ im going to wholeheartedly disagree

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
meh, you win some you lose some.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 09:58:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wanted Brooks from the beginning, and was upset that he got traded on draft night. With "that guy" being injured last year, and Bradley, we could've really used him as a 6th man scoring option.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Brooks is averaging about 11 minutes per night in New Jersey, despite putting up very good offensive numbers.  That should tell you how much the rest of his game is valued.
Yeah I think he's a better prospect than JJJ, but he's not exactly a star or even looking like a starter.

He might just be Jodie Meeks, though he certainly has talent to be better than that.

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 12:08:08 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
FWIW:

JaJuan is currently playing 34 mpg for the NBADL Fort Wayne Mad Ants.   He currently leads the team in rebounds and blocks (and is among the DL leaders in those categories, both totals and rates).  Here is his abreviated stat line:

MPG   PPG   FG%   FT%  ORB  DRB TRB APG SPG  BPG TO
JJJ    34.0  11.6 33.7  76.2  3.0  6.7 9.7 .6  .9  2.43 1.7

He has the physical tools to make it back to the NBA.  He'll have to continue to push and take advantage of every minute in the DL to prove he deserves another chance, though.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
FWIW:

JaJuan is currently playing 34 mpg for the NBADL Fort Wayne Mad Ants.   He currently leads the team in rebounds and blocks (and is among the DL leaders in those categories, both totals and rates).  Here is his abreviated stat line:

He has the physical tools to make it back to the NBA.  He'll have to continue to push and take advantage of every minute in the DL to prove he deserves another chance, though.

You forgot to highlight his shooting percentage - 33.7%

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
FWIW:

You forgot to highlight his shooting percentage - 33.7%

It's right there in plain site.

He's not really expected to be a scorer.  'Might as well point out Brook's defensive numbers in the context of this thread (The Nets are +14.1 points better per 48 minutes with Brooks sitting on the bench so far this season.)

Each player at this level is, in the end, limited to a role.  I wouldn't expect JJJ to be a great shooter (he isn't) and I wouldn't expect Brooks to block many shots or grab many rebounds or know how to defend on the perimeter (he doesn't).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:54:06 PM by mmmmm »
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.