Author Topic: maybe Phoenix does have the big we need  (Read 6136 times)

maybe Phoenix does have the big we need
« on: December 11, 2012, 03:40:35 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Here are some quotes from Jermaine O'Neal, who is presently on an expiring, destined-to-be-traded league minimum contract with the terrible Phoenix Suns.

"I had a fantastic time in Boston with the city, the fans were phenomenal, the organization was phenomenal, I just don’t know if the playing situation was right to be quite honest... The hardest thing for me was to not be able to do some of the things I have been quite comfortable with doing all my life. I accepted the challenge. I accepted the role. (I didn’t want) 10 shots a game, but it was hard to be told not to worry about (scoring)."

“When I was asked about (offense), I tried to be as professional about it as possible but it’s hard,” he said. “You put any player in that position and ask them how that’s going to pan out for them; it’s hard mentally because you’re fighting against yourself every single day. And it’s not like you’re getting the reps, even in practice, because they’re gonna stay away from that in practice because they don’t want you to start leaning towards that in games. It was really rough. The things that kept me going was the guys on that team, (team president of basketball operations) Danny Ainge and just the passion of that city. No one wants it to end the way it ended, but it did. I was never really healthy mentally.

O'Neal has been healthy and very effective for the Suns this year, and has earned his imminent trade or release to a contending team. Phoenix will probably get a pick in exchange- perhaps a later first rounder or a second rounder depending on his continuing performance and health.

Obviously, he would be an asset on defense... he was a very good defender even when he was hurt. He clearly would not wish to come back to Boston unless he could play more of a role on offense. Is there room in the new Celtics offense for a rejuvenated JO?

Re: maybe Phoenix does have the big we need
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
For the record, JO is presently taking about one shot every three minutes. With the Celtics, he took one shot every four and a half minutes.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:49:24 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would take him back in less than a second. However, I dont see why he would want to leave the Suns Medical staff. He is finally getting a chance to play and be healthy. I dont think he cares as much about contending as he does about resurrecting his career and getting good healthy minutes.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't see anyone giving up a draft pick for JO. Too old, too injury prone.

I would be surprised if Phoenix bought him out. I expect him to finish out the season there and look for a move to a title contender in the summer. Not Boston. Somewhere else.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Are we forgetting how he left the Celtics last time?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
pass
twice he opted to not have surgery in the off season and ended up having it during season instead
only 20 games in, should be better out there

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
JO does look like a totally different player with the Suns,  but I think that ship has sailed.

I do think a Phoenix\Boston deal needs to occur.  I have been reading blogs on the Suns Site and that team is blowing up at the seams.  I was'nt thrilled about the idea at first, but I now think the c's need to try to get Beasley as a part of a gortat package.  Maybe something like bass,  Lee,  and Melo for Beasley and gortat. The beauty of the deal is it addresses the c's lack of size,  and it brings in young sf/pf talent.

If the c's make this deal on the Jan 15th, they would have a month to evaluate the team with Jeff green before the trade deadline.  If things are still not working,  maybe he can be packaged for another impact big player without having to worry about creating a void at backup small forward.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 04:29:53 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

Torn tendon, needed wrist surgery... tried to play through it... didn't get used on offense... maybe asked for a buyout or trade, maybe not, denies it... C's couldn't find a trading partner... decided to get the surgery.

All of the direct quotes from either side always sounded amicable to me. There were lots of headlines about his discontent, but the only actual information out there makes it sound like (1) he had a brutally hard and disappointing couple of years because his knees and wrist wouldn't cooperate and (2) he was forced to watch as his teammates got used to playing without him.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Torn tendon, needed wrist surgery... tried to play through it... didn't get used on offense... maybe asked for a buyout or trade, maybe not, denies it... C's couldn't find a trading partner... decided to get the surgery.

All of the direct quotes from either side always sounded amicable to me. There were lots of headlines about his discontent, but the only actual information out there makes it sound like (1) he had a brutally hard and disappointing couple of years because his knees and wrist wouldn't cooperate and (2) he was forced to watch as his teammates got used to playing without him.

To me it always seemed like how he disappeared said a lot.

Enough rumors and talk that there was beef with him to lead me to think there is something there too.

I know Bill Simmons isn't a real reporter or anything, but he very confidently has said the rift was major between Jermaine and the Celtics.  He usually will say something like "I've heard" with those kind of rumors but he has just flat out said that.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:59:20 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
pass
twice he opted to not have surgery in the off season and ended up having it during season instead
only 20 games in, should be better out there

Why do all the JO apologists gloss over this fact?

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
JO does look like a totally different player with the Suns,  but I think that ship has sailed.

I do think a Phoenix\Boston deal needs to occur.  I have been reading blogs on the Suns Site and that team is blowing up at the seams.  I was'nt thrilled about the idea at first, but I now think the c's need to try to get Beasley as a part of a gortat package.  Maybe something like bass,  Lee,  and Melo for Beasley and gortat. The beauty of the deal is it addresses the c's lack of size,  and it brings in young sf/pf talent.

If the c's make this deal on the Jan 15th, they would have a month to evaluate the team with Jeff green before the trade deadline.  If things are still not working,  maybe he can be packaged for another impact big player without having to worry about creating a void at backup small forward.
beasley<green with bad shot selection added in

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 05:11:24 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5

beasley<green with bad shot selection added in

I agree that green is better than Beasley, and I hope if this trade went down doc would find away to use them together effectively (very doubtful,  but maybe).

However,  if by the trade deadline,  green is still not playing consistently and providing the impact the c's need at trade deadline time,  he could be a valuable asset to use to bring back an impact big( Jefferson,  Millsap, Varejo, etc.).  Green's loss in a trade will not create that much of a void behind Pierce because of Beasley, and the team could potentially have a game changing front line to pound the heat with.

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 05:44:58 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
However,  if by the trade deadline,  green is still not playing consistently and providing the impact the c's need at trade deadline time,  he could be a valuable asset to use to bring back an impact big( Jefferson,  Millsap, Varejo, etc.).  Green's loss in a trade will not create that much of a void behind Pierce because of Beasley, and the team could potentially have a game changing front line to pound the heat with.

I'm going to nit-pick you a little bit here. I don't think there's any chance the Jazz trade Millsap; he's their best player. I also don't think Jefferson is the kind of big the Celtics would make a move for, especially mid-season, because he's so soft. Jefferson is an amazing scorer and rebounder, but they aren't shopping for scoring. They need someone with a Tyson Chandler-Anderson Varejao-Omer Asik type game; a finisher on offense who rebounds and plays hard defense.

The poor-man's versions of those players are, well, Emeka Okafor if he's right, Marcin Gortat (hence all the commotion), Jason Thompson kinda?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:03:39 PM by sofutomygaha »

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 05:51:34 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If he really feels this way then I hope Gortat is listening.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 05:54:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I'm going to nit-pick you a little bit here. I don't think there's any chance the Jazz trade Millsap; he's their best player. I also don't think Jefferson is the kind of big the Celtics would make a move for, especially mid-season, because he's so soft. Jefferson is an amazing scorer and rebounder, but they aren't shopping for scoring. They need someone with a Tyson Chandler-Anderson Varejao-Omer Asik type game; a finisher on offense who rebounds and plays hard defense.

I agree with this post...They won't give up Milsap , Jefferson would not be brought in as THE type of BIG we need , C's need a Varejao type player.  If Danny trades , it will be for that type .  Scoring is not the issue , its rebounding and paint defense.  Not to say Jefferson won't ever be a Celtic.  Just not this year.