Author Topic: Kings wanna deal...Are we a match?  (Read 15665 times)

Re: Kings wanna deal...Are we a match?
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
You don't think Garnett could get in his ear and teach him how to be a pro?
Garnett is great, but he's not a miracle worker and so far he's only helped people who wanted to help themselves in the first place.

I think i tend to agree. His reputation as a miracle worker with bench bigs seems a little overblown to me.

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The two players I would want off that Kings team is Jason Thompson and Aaron Brooks.

Thompson and Brooks for Bass and Lee work

ANd when I order a sundae, I will take it with plain vanilla ice cream, sans whipped cream, and without any other superfluous topping aside from cold chocolate sauce.
We are just simple men after all IP. :D

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2012, 03:06:06 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Garnett is great, but he's not a miracle worker and so far he's only helped people who wanted to help themselves in the first place.

I think i tend to agree. His reputation as a miracle worker with bench bigs seems a little overblown to me.

It's coaching. He can give advice, players can take it or not, but at the end of the day a player needs the talent to roll with it.

Give me the best gameplan in the world to stop Dwight Howard, I'm not going to be able to do it. Tell Ryan Hollins the perfect way to grab a rebound...

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I don't think he'll ever stop taking the awful jumpers. Once a player's shot selection is broken so badly its hard to get them to remove it from their game.

Playing with an actual PG certainly couldn't hurt. 

And players improving their shot selection has happened before.

Bottom line is Cousins, isn't happening but I think on our team with Doc we are talking an All-Star player and possibly the leagues best C.  He has the talent, and the mixture of Rondo, KG, Doc would be great for him.  But it won't happen.

Tyreke would be amazing too off the bench with all that flexibility but not sure what's being given up there.

It's coaching. He can give advice, players can take it or not, but at the end of the day a player needs the talent to roll with it.

Give me the best gameplan in the world to stop Dwight Howard, I'm not going to be able to do it. Tell Ryan Hollins the perfect way to grab a rebound...

I definitely agree.  I think if you look at Big Baby you can see KG's work as a teacher.  Even with one year with him Steimsma improved quite a lot I think.

Cousins is in another league of talent and certainly has had issues but being in Boston would be a different world comparatively.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2012, 03:08:37 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The two players I would want off that Kings team is Jason Thompson and Aaron Brooks.

Thompson and Brooks for Bass and Lee work

Bass < valuable to them than Thompson, and more expensive.

Lee < valuable to them than Brooks, and much more expensive.

Don't see it. I'd think Bass is particularly unattractive to Sacramento. Other than rookie contracts, Jeff Green's the only guy who really makes sense for them (leaving out KG, PP and RR, of course)
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
It sounds like the Kings are impressed with Thomas Robinson's work ethic and maturity. I expect he is a guy they'll want to hold onto. That they believe he'll continue to improve over time and become a very good player for them.

I imagine Robinson and Cousins are the two guys they don't want to deal. Everyone else is readily in the offing.

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2012, 03:15:43 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't think he'll ever stop taking the awful jumpers. Once a player's shot selection is broken so badly its hard to get them to remove it from their game.
Well, Zach Randolph did, and I've seen him take some of the most horrible three pointers in recent memory.

But I agree that the likelihood is not too high.

Good comparison. Also some maturity comparisons.

Remember when Z-Bo played for the Knicks? He was far older than Cousins, and deemed by almost everyone a loser, a cancer, and a lost cause. 

He just needed to find the right coach to turn things around. He doesn't need to win any community service awards -- just play to his strengths and stay out of trouble -- and he's a dominant player.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Tyreke Evans is a poor man's Monta Ellis.

I don't see this at all. Keep in mind that Evans is 6-6/220 and his game is much more reminiscent of Harden's. Evans is also extremely young. Just turned 23!

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Call me crazy, but I'd be willing to give an Evans/Rondo backcourt a shot. I think Evans is still far from a finished product and he's never had a solid role with the Kings. They wanted him to be a power point guard, but I don't think he has the playmaking ability/IQ to really do that. However, there are aspects of his game that he's young enough to improve. He can become a better cutter and shooter. He's never going to be a good 3pt shooter IMO, but his midrange game can. I think if we stick with the formula of the inverted offense (guards that want to get to the rim with bigs that can shoot) + have a guard off the bench that can shoot (J.Terry), it could be functional.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I could support the Jason Thompson idea. He's a little less physical, but overall quite Gortat-like and with some room to grow.

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'd go for Tyreke Evans, he has the potential to be a special player. Didn't Ainge have some interest in him not that long ago?  I think he would thrive under Doc and next to Rondo.

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Kings should be asking for young players still on rookie scale contracts, likely lottery picks, and absolutely no bad contracts that are longer than 1-2 years.  The Celtics are not a good match if the Kings actually seek out the sort of trades they should want.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
The Kings should be asking for young players still on rookie scale contracts, likely lottery picks, and absolutely no bad contracts that are longer than 1-2 years.  The Celtics are not a good match if the Kings actually seek out the sort of trades they should want.

Sullinger and Bradley fit that description well. The celtics are a good match if the kings want to deal Evans

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2012, 07:47:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
But the Celtics seem very unlikely to be able to supply a decent draft pick, so I just can't see them as likely players for a big mid-season trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2012, 07:59:59 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Cousins of course.

Thompson and Brooks as well.