Author Topic: Rondo can shoot!  (Read 3692 times)

Re: Rondo can't shoot!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 02:45:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'll be extatic if he doesn't, but nothing so far has shown me that he won't.

It is worth noting that while he is shooting extremely well this year, better than last year, it is only a hair better than his TS% in 09-10 and 08-09. Those seasons he averaged around 54% TS, and his TS this season is a hair above that. So there IS reason to believe this is sustainable.
A lot of this was an artifact of his free throw shooting and three point shooting being uncharacteristically high (as they have been in stretches before). Those have started sagging already in recent games.
He's right back to his usual averages for 3 point shooting and free throws. Doesn't take much as he doesn't get to the line or take many threes.

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

It is worth noting that while he is shooting extremely well this year, better than last year, it is only a hair better than his TS% in 09-10 and 08-09. Those seasons he averaged around 54% TS, and his TS this season is a hair above that. So there IS reason to believe this is sustainable.
A lot of this was an artifact of his free throw shooting and three point shooting being uncharacteristically high (as they have been in stretches before). Those have started sagging already in recent games.
He's right back to his usual averages for 3 point shooting and free throws. Doesn't take much as he doesn't get to the line or take many threes.
Also true. But unless the shot selection mix has changed, improved jump shooting while maintaining constant overall shooting efficiency indicates he's less efficient at the rim.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Re: Rondo can shoot!
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 03:13:25 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
As Chris mentioned earlier, Rondo's lower body mechanics are a lot better on his jumper.  His release seems cleaner, and his follow through more pronounced. 

I have no idea why he isn't better at the FT line.  Probably mental.  Rondo's best shooting comes when he's not thinking and just reacting, like at the end of the shot clock.  He's a quick twitch guy, and FT shooting is a slow twitch activity.  I'd suggest working with a sports shrink to teach him how to clear his mind when at the FT line.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 03:13:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Also true. But unless the shot selection mix has changed, improved jump shooting while maintaining constant overall shooting efficiency indicates he's less efficient at the rim.
It has changed but not so much this year as the it did after 09-10. The first four years he always had far more shots at the rim then jump shots. Starting two years ago the balance shifted to more of a 55% jumpers to 45 layups. (you can see it as his TS% dropped markedly)

He's still a 60%+ shooter at the rim, which is great for a guard.

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Fascinating fact: Rajon Rondo ranks 5th (min. 50 attempts) in mid-rage FG% at 51.6% (33-for-64).

:)
And?

Personal attacks are not allowed

-Fafnir
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:47:52 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 04:55:19 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
As Chris mentioned earlier, Rondo's lower body mechanics are a lot better on his jumper.  His release seems cleaner, and his follow through more pronounced. 

I have no idea why he isn't better at the FT line.  Probably mental.  Rondo's best shooting comes when he's not thinking and just reacting, like at the end of the shot clock.  He's a quick twitch guy, and FT shooting is a slow twitch activity.  I'd suggest working with a sports shrink to teach him how to clear his mind when at the FT line.

Confidence in your shot has a lot to do with FT shooting.

Confidence gained in his jumper is my guess to the improvement.

It has changed but not so much this year as the it did after 09-10. The first four years he always had far more shots at the rim then jump shots. Starting two years ago the balance shifted to more of a 55% jumpers to 45 layups. (you can see it as his TS% dropped markedly)

He's still a 60%+ shooter at the rim, which is great for a guard.

Good stat.

Really tired of hearing about Rondo not being good around the rim.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Fascinating fact: Rajon Rondo ranks 5th (min. 50 attempts) in mid-rage FG% at 51.6% (33-for-64).

:)
And?

Personal attacks are not allowed

-Fafnir

Oh drat, I'm late to the party again and missed on all the fun  :-\
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 01:52:38 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
rajon rondo with a jumpshot is a top 3 player in the league.

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 07:29:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rondo shooting is improved.   He still has a way to go.

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Lol Don't Jinx him!!!!

Via Insider

Rajon Rondo | PG | Boston Celtics

Trend: Shedding poor jump shooter label

When Rondo entered the league in 2006-07, he had the reputation of being a poor shooter. His statistics backed it up, too; that season, he shot 41.8 percent from the field, 20.7 percent on 3-pointers and 64.7 percent from the free throw line. Not pretty.

Six years later, even as Rondo has evolved into one of the game's top point guards, he continues to be a work in progress in some of these areas. It doesn't look like he'll ever be a consistent shooter at the free throw line -- he's never topped the mark he set as a rookie -- and the range on his jumper remains limited to inside the 3-point arc.

But as far as his consistency from the 16-to-23-foot range, Rondo is showing that it may be time to start giving him some respect. HoopData.com shows that as of last Monday, Rondo was shooting 49 percent from that range, a mark that ranks him third among all point guards averaging at least 30 minutes a game this season. Only Greivis Vasquez (53 percent) and Luke Ridnour (51 percent) are better. How's that for surprising?

One interesting part of this is that 47.8 percent of Rondo's made shots from 16 to 23 feet have been assisted, a marked jump from any earlier point in his career. This looks to be an indication that Rondo, like Jason Kidd over the course of his career, could be a much more efficient shooter in catch-and-shoot situations.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Rondo's definitely improved. For the most part he can keep defenses honest now so they have to guard him off the ball. He's fairly consistent at the elbow of the dribble or spotting up.
"Suit up every day."