Author Topic: Rondo can shoot!  (Read 3689 times)

Rondo can shoot!
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »

Offline schabette

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Fascinating fact: Rajon Rondo ranks 5th (min. 50 attempts) in mid-rage FG% at 51.6% (33-for-64).

:)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:07:10 AM by IndeedProceed »

Re: Rondo can't shoot!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Fascinating fact: Rajon Rondo ranks 5th (min. 50 attempts) in mid-rage FG% at 51.6% (33-for-64).

:)
And?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 10:42:12 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
he knows how to pick his shots, and other people shots.
Thats what makes him better
also... he finally dominate his floater... and I can only love that
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 11:01:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I said this before, I will say it again.

Rondo is a good shooter. I have seen it, sometimes in clutch situations as well. Problem I think with him is, he thinks he's not. He's not confident with his jump shots. So this is a mental thing more than a skill thing I believe.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 11:29:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Rondo is a good shooter. I have seen it, sometimes in clutch situations as well. Problem I think with him is, he thinks he's not. He's not confident with his jump shots. So this is a mental thing more than a skill thing I believe.
Rondo is a streaky shooter. Given that he's been shooting jump shots, foul shots and the three above his usual level for the first quarter of the season, I fully expect him to go on a slump pretty soon. I'll be extatic if he doesn't, but nothing so far has shown me that he won't.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 12:14:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't think it's so much confidence in his jump shot as his thinking that his jump shot was the best shot that the team could get on a given trip down the court.

Re: Rondo can shoot!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 12:20:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think we are seeing the natural progression of a player who has completely reworked his shooting mechanics, and the muscle memory is finally catching up.  Much like other poor shooting PGs before him, he has now become a quality shooter. 

The next step will be the defenses realizing this, and working harder to close out on him and not go under picks, which will hurt his shooting percentage, but should make him an even more effective overall player, because then he can use his speed and passing to beat them even more. 

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:27:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I think we are seeing the natural progression of a player who has completely reworked his shooting mechanics, and the muscle memory is finally catching up.  Much like other poor shooting PGs before him, he has now become a quality shooter. 

The next step will be the defenses realizing this, and working harder to close out on him and not go under picks, which will hurt his shooting percentage, but should make him an even more effective overall player, because then he can use his speed and passing to beat them even more.
I can't see much difference in his shooting mechanics between now and 2008. It's also worth mentioning that he's had good shooting 20-games stretches before, too.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I can't see much difference in his shooting mechanics between now and 2008. It's also worth mentioning that he's had good shooting 20-games stretches before, too.

His lower body has changed pretty dramatically.  His release was never much of a problem, but his lower body was a mess.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 12:41:22 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't see that Rondo is a threat even at mid-range.  Most of his shots are still pretty much wide open.  Teams are still happy to let him shoot.  I think he has improved this year over last buthe still has a way to go.

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
His lower body has changed pretty dramatically.  His release was never much of a problem, but his lower body was a mess.
This is possible. I must admit I typically mostly look at the shoulders and the release.

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
It's always been between the ears with him I've been saying it for a while. He's seemed to gain confidence with his jumper, but the free-throws still need work.

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 12:57:43 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Rondo is no Ray Allen as a shooter , but I'll be first to admit he has improved. His first year ..I'm not sure he had a shot other than a layout and bricks.

I do appreciate the way he has gone about improving.  While slow , he has tried to make it painless as possible , by not chucking up a shot everytime he has any kind of look.

He usually takes only shoots unless he has a pretty clear look. 

I also agree he is deveopling a nice form .  AS gifted as he is , with spot on passing .  Seems he would have potientel to become a average to good shooter anyway.

At least he is taking enough jump shots, other than various tricky layups to actually discuss his shooting skills.   Alot of is mental , and wanting the team to win by letting a better shooting team mate take the shot.

Rondo does need to take alot more of those medium range jump shots , to make teams honor him outside the paint a bit more.

I', satisfied with his progress shooting, except freethrows , which I don't trust him ... ;D

Lee is the one that really needs to step up shooting the med-short range jumpers. Has he ever shot so bad in his life?

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I'll be extatic if he doesn't, but nothing so far has shown me that he won't.

It is worth noting that while he is shooting extremely well this year, better than last year, it is only a hair better than his TS% in 09-10 and 08-09. Those seasons he averaged around 54% TS, and his TS this season is a hair above that. So there IS reason to believe this is sustainable.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I'll be extatic if he doesn't, but nothing so far has shown me that he won't.

It is worth noting that while he is shooting extremely well this year, better than last year, it is only a hair better than his TS% in 09-10 and 08-09. Those seasons he averaged around 54% TS, and his TS this season is a hair above that. So there IS reason to believe this is sustainable.
A lot of this was an artifact of his free throw shooting and three point shooting being uncharacteristically high (as they have been in stretches before). Those have started sagging already in recent games.