Author Topic: OJ Mayo: 21 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, PER 19.73 per game  (Read 6382 times)

Re: OJ Mayo: 21 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, PER 19.73 per game
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
All you're saying is that he used to be a good player in Memphis, not that he's not a good one now.
I never said this.

What I said was that he's been the same player in Dallas as Memphis, he's just hitting an unsustainable number of 3 point shots thus his scoring efficiency and totals have gone up.

How does that point to regression, and why would regression matter?  Either way he's an excellent shooter and either way he's an unbelievably better scorer than Kyle Korver.  And with Dirk back the quality of his shots are only going up.  If he ends up with 44% shooting and at least 2 per game, that's STILL more impressive than Korver hitting 1 on 53% shooting.
It points to regression because he's never been as good a shooter as Korver in the past, is taking more shots, and is taking worse quality three point shots. (ie he's not just taking wide open 3s)

The volume of shots allows for regression to happen and happen more quickly than a low volume shooter and his past performance indicates his true shooting "skill" isn't 50% its 40%.

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
OJ Mayo is currently shooting 52% from 3 point land. His career average is around 36%. He is NOT going to be able to keep this up. That is a completely unsustainable jump ... I don't think you could find any player in the history of the league who has jumped almost 20 percentage points in shooting efficiency in one season. Not going to happen.

His FGA per game have not increased noticeably (19 to 20). He is just on a hot stretch.

Not that he is a bad player, by any means, but the way he is playing now is not how he is going to play all season, unless we are witnessing literally a once-in-the-history-of-basketball Most Improved Player campaign.

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 02:11:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
OJ Mayo is currently shooting 52% from 3 point land. His career average is around 36%. He is NOT going to be able to keep this up. That is a completely unsustainable jump ... I don't think you could find any player in the history of the league who has jumped almost 20 percentage points in shooting efficiency in one season. Not going to happen.

His FGA per game have not increased noticeably (19 to 20). He is just on a hot stretch.

Not that he is a bad player, by any means, but the way he is playing now is not how he is going to play all season, unless we are witnessing literally a once-in-the-history-of-basketball Most Improved Player campaign.
Translated in stats, this means he'll be making one less three per game, therefore his ppg drops from 21 to 18. So he'll basically be Paul Pierce.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Translated in stats, this means he'll be making one less three per game, therefore his ppg drops from 21 to 18. So he'll basically be Paul Pierce.

Explain the bolded.

(If you're just saying PPG... well there's a lot more going on than that on the floor)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:26:50 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Explain the bolded.

(If you're just saying PPG... well there's a lot more going on than that on the floor)
I'm saying that he'll be statistically comparable to Paul Pierce, for what it's worth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 05:52:23 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
OJ Mayo is a baller! Plain and simple. Memphis couldn't make it work and that's there loss. I wish we had him.

Happiness in the work place can change things. I am sure he enjoys Dallas more then Memphis. Mentally he looks like a different player out there. He is more assertive and aggressive then I have seen him since he was a rookie.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 07:03:22 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I wonder which GM chose him in CB's 2011-12 Summer Draft.

Whoever he is, he's a genius. ;D