Author Topic: Is PHX the worst run team in the NBA?  (Read 7526 times)

Is PHX the worst run team in the NBA?
« on: December 10, 2012, 05:16:38 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'm starting to think so. They've made a variety of puzzling decisions over the past 3-4 years. The Childress deal, Hakim Warrick, their refusual to discuss Steve Nash for value, and others.

The latest (to me) was signing Michael Beasley. When you're rebuilding, this is the last guy you want to commit to. Now this tweet from Shaun Powell:

Suns source: Michael Beasley is "toxic," team in tailspin, could lead to major shakeup.

I'm shocked! Seriously, what did they expect? It's hard to understand what's happening there.

PHX may be more interested in starting fresh than anything else. So, my question: would you take Beasley if it meant getting Gortat? Bass, Terry and Collins for the two of them works, as does Bass, Terry and Lee for Gortat, Scola and Beasley...

Any other ideas?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Is PHX the worst run team in the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Any other ideas?
Yes, how about a trade proposal in which we give the Suns something real (that would mean Sullinger, Bradley, and/or Melo, in case you wondered  ;D).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 05:26:10 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86

The Suns reportedly view Michael Beasley as "toxic," and the team's 7-game losing streak could lead to a "major shakeup."
The report stems from long-time NBA writer Shaun Powell, citing an anonymous Suns source, but there are no details about what the "shakeup" might be -- for what it's worth, Chris Broussard reports that Alvin Gentry's job is still safe. As for Beasley, his bottoming out and becoming a negative presence in Phoenix is not at all surprising given his history, though few could have predicted the bottom falling out this quickly. The Suns inked him for $18 million over three years this summer, and it already looks like a bad investment.
Source: Shaun Powell on Twitter Dec 10 - 5:23 PM

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
How about that training staff though?

Nash has already missed more games for LA than he missed in his last FIVE YEARS in Phoenix!

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 06:07:31 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
How about that training staff though?

Nash has already missed more games for LA than he missed in his last FIVE YEARS in Phoenix!
Tp
Seemingly the best training staff...can we trade ours for theirs.  ;D

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Worst run?  Not sure.  But this team has taken a step back for like 7 consecutive years.  That's pretty hard to do. 

Beasley is one of the worst players in the league and plenty of people on celticsblog have wanted him year after year.  Better Phoenix than the Celtics.  He not only sucks, but he is a cancer.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 06:16:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yep, Sacramento is probably second worst.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hard to really feel sorry for Michael Beasley at this point, but I also don't think he's been in a situation that's ideal for his development at any point in his career so far.

Probably too late for him to become anything more than a role player at this, point, unfortunately.

He strikes me as the sort of guy who would really benefit from playing overseas for a year or three to learn some discipline.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Hard to really feel sorry for Michael Beasley at this point, but I also don't think he's been in a situation that's ideal for his development at any point in his career so far.

Probably too late for him to become anything more than a role player at this, point, unfortunately.

He strikes me as the sort of guy who would really benefit from playing overseas for a year or three to learn some discipline.
His ceiling right now is probably a Corey Magette type with Ron Artest type of issues. The combination of being disruptive and replacable makes him, indeed, very toxic.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:34:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

His ceiling right now is probably a Corey Magette type with Ron Artest type of issues. The combination of being disruptive and replacable makes him, indeed, very toxic.

Yeah, I don't know the nature of any personal issues he may or may not have.  At least with Artest we know that he had some psychological issues that he dealt with by seeing a psychiatrist.   I don't know that Beasley isn't just a jerk, or a selfish player.

He strikes me as an Andray Blatche kind of player.  The game has always been too easy for him, and he's never been forced to really work hard to earn his minutes and his shots.  He's been in a winning situation before in Miami, but it doesn't seem like they really managed his development that well in Miami.

I could see Beasley becoming a key reserve for a good team a few years down the road the way Blatche has become one for the Nets this season.  But he's going to have to go through some real adversity first, I think.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Dont forget letting Amare walk and getting nothing in return
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 06:46:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think it's still too early to write off Beasley.

He has spent the last couple of years in some of the worst situations in the league in Phoenix and Minnesota. In each place Beasley was mismanaged by the coaching staff. 

I want to see what happens to him in a good home. Shift him back to power forward and give him a run of a extended minutes in a role where he can just focus on what he does well.

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 06:51:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

Yeah, I don't know the nature of any personal issues he may or may not have.  At least with Artest we know that he had some psychological issues that he dealt with by seeing a psychiatrist.   I don't know that Beasley isn't just a jerk, or a selfish player.

He strikes me as an Andray Blatche kind of player.  The game has always been too easy for him, and he's never been forced to really work hard to earn his minutes and his shots.  He's been in a winning situation before in Miami, but it doesn't seem like they really managed his development that well in Miami.

I could see Beasley becoming a key reserve for a good team a few years down the road the way Blatche has become one for the Nets this season.  But he's going to have to go through some real adversity first, I think.
I don't think Blatche has cemented himself as a solid reserve just yet.  He's the same guy who happens to have a reason to give extra effort now- he was halfway out of the league a few months ago. He is still the same moron and he will mess up again.

Beasley just signed a fairly big new contract and he is playing worse than ever.  Coincidence?  He's not lost as a role player.  He has been given every oportunity to be a main man on the Suns.  He has plenty of tools but the guy just sucks as an NBA player.  Maybe Jeff Green and his contract aren't so bad after all.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 06:53:33 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Sarver is one cheap, whackt owner.

He sells draft picks (Thank you for Rondo)lets Stat, Nash and others go for nothing because he didn't want to pay them and signs Beasley at $6mil per because he was taking a flyer on someone who was recently the second overall pick in the draft.

Sarver values rookie contracts, draft picks and expirings.

Given that, lets give him Melo, Joseph, picks, cash and turn Bass and Lee into expirings from a third team for Sarver and get Gortat and swallow Beasley.

I know that doesn't seem that much for the Suns, but we are taking the "cancer", Beasley  (who I still think can be something)off their hands and the way Gortat is playing, his value is at its low point.

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
I think it's still too early to write off Beasley.

He has spent the last couple of years in some of the worst situations in the league in Phoenix and Minnesota. In each place Beasley was mismanaged by the coaching staff. 

I want to see what happens to him in a good home. Shift him back to power forward and give him a run of a extended minutes in a role where he can just focus on what he does well.
What does he do well?  He shoots a lot of contested long two's.  He is still doing that in Phoenix.  Power forward, small forward- he takes the exact same shots.