Author Topic: C's recall Fab Melo from D-league  (Read 8313 times)

Re: C's recall Fab Melo from D-league
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Just hope he doesnt spill the water or gatorade. Dont want KG, PP, or anyone else slip and fall
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Wilcox for all his bad defensive play has managed to make enough offensive plays to be a net 0 for this team. Which I'll take any time KG isn't on the court, any time at all. Can he sustain that? For the regular season probably, but he does need to get some more boards too.

Playoffs? That's when things will get dicey for him.

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 05:21:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
On cue, caused by the extremely poor performance of Wilcox. We need all the help we can get there.

Ummm, I think the only cue is that the C's have 3 days off in a row, for him to practice with the team, and the Red Claws are off until Friday.  He will be back in Maine on Friday, I imagine.
I agree with Chris.  Wilcox looks to me to be doing well with his recuperation, as does Jeff Green...getting stronger all the time.  I don't think Melo was brought back as "punishment,"  a "scare tactic," or even to potentially stay with the main club...simply to get him some practice time and let him bond a little with the main team during these few off days for both.
I think they brought him up because it's a good chance to give him a long look. But if he shows even a rudimentary capability to participate in team defense, he may not be going back.

I would love to bet on this.

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 05:24:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
On cue, caused by the extremely poor performance of Wilcox. We need all the help we can get there.

Ummm, I think the only cue is that the C's have 3 days off in a row, for him to practice with the team, and the Red Claws are off until Friday.  He will be back in Maine on Friday, I imagine.
I agree with Chris.  Wilcox looks to me to be doing well with his recuperation, as does Jeff Green...getting stronger all the time.  I don't think Melo was brought back as "punishment,"  a "scare tactic," or even to potentially stay with the main club...simply to get him some practice time and let him bond a little with the main team during these few off days for both.
I think they brought him up because it's a good chance to give him a long look. But if he shows even a rudimentary capability to participate in team defense, he may not be going back.

I'm sure Vegas can give you odds.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I'm sure Vegas can give you odds.

The problem is, if I bet in Vegas, I would probably have to put up $500 to win $1 if he goes back to Maine...since just about everyone knows that is what they are doing.

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'd put money Fab is back to watch the action during the 3 day layoff, seeing as Fab has been injured the last 2 Maine games.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I am a big Melo fan...love his length, movement, and willingness to learn.  I would also love it if he has progressed fast enough to join the club.  I have said from the beginning that I think he will be getting minutes by the end of the year.  (How's that for fence sitting?   ;) )
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2012, 06:34:36 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
You're being quite liberal with what "recently" means. He's been great in the last 3 games at the very least.

He plays his role quite well, and makes quite good on his opportunities, 70%+ FG I won't cry too much about it on his limited opportunities.
I don't know, all I see is consistenly late rotations, getting pushed around on defense, and no rebounding to speak of. And this _is_ in the last three games. 10 rebounds and 9 fouls for that stretch is just bad (for what it's worth, it's been like that all season: 43 and 41, respectively).

I am particularly unimpressed by the shooting percentage. The guy takes 2 and a half shots per game, on average, and the overwhelming majority of these are wide open dunks.

I'm just saying that he's been great in the role he plays. I certainly see he needs to improve his rotations, but I haven't seen them being as egrogious as you do. I'll pay a little more attention.

But again, he has quite the limited role, he's not hurting you on offense, and I don't think he's hurting you that much on defense either, though certainly could be better.

If anything, I'd like to see him rebound better, but I think calling him playing poorly is quite the stretch. For that matter, I think he fits really well when he's playing with our starters. His problems are more noticeable when you have also Sully/Bass on the floor since they all have their defensive problems.

Of all the bigs sans Garnett, he's been the most consistent for us on both sides of the floor, but he doesn't bring much, he just fits and enables us to have something that resembles a competent rotation among our bigs.
Maybe I'm exaggerating. But at some point, I caught myself thinking, "Wow, you can't keep Wilcox on the floor when Rondo is off, because there's noone to give him wide open bunnies, and he's such a liability in all other phases of the game". In any case, he strikes me as the obvious upgrade slot in our lineup. We'll see.

Jeez, what are you expecting from him? To be Shaq? He is a very good F-C for a 8th/9th player on a contending team. He fills his role excellently and does nothing more or less than expected of him. He catches dunks, hustles and brings speed, athleticism and energy to the team on the court.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Fab Melo's Back!!! What! It's over now. He's obviously worked out all the kinks in his game now. Has great range now, out till  about twenty two feet. His hands, are tremendous, similar to Moses Malone's. And he said he's been watching a lot of Mchale and Olajuwon highlights, so he's got all there moves now.

This guy is going to be special. He's a quick study.

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2012, 06:51:15 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I love how some people are copmletely dismissing the idea that Fab Melo could actually provide some useful minutes this year.

Anyone every heard of Greg Stiemsma?

Try and argue against that without saying Stiemsma has been playing longer (5 min a game for Wisconsin) or that he was a former D league DPOY (LOL!)

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Jeez, what are you expecting from him? To be Shaq? He is a very good F-C for a 8th/9th player on a contending team. He fills his role excellently and does nothing more or less than expected of him. He catches dunks, hustles and brings speed, athleticism and energy to the team on the court.
I expect him not to be a liability in all phases of the game that are not a wide open dunk. He doesn't have to be Shaq, he can just be Glen Davis or Leon Powe. But he isn't.

He's not "very good" as an 8th/9th player. As a matter of fact, it's probably a stretch to call him mediocre. Someone like Taj Gibson on the Bulls, Rasheed Wallace on the Knicks, or Spencer Hawes on the 76ers is a good 8th/9th player.

Wilcox is giving you the typical "10th guy to borderline DNP" type of performance.The problem is, we cannot afford this, mostly because he's the primary backup of a guy that's playing 28 minutes per contest.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2012, 07:06:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He catches dunks, hustles and brings speed, athleticism and energy to the team on the court.

Are you from Syracuse because his stats do not reflect this nor does his play although I wish he did those things and wish him well.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/nbdl/players/s/stiemgr01d.html

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/fab_melo/

I have heard of him and guess what he has better stats than Melo in the D league.   Bet you would not have guessed that.   Much better rebounding, PPG and blocks than Melo.

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2012, 07:13:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
He catches dunks, hustles and brings speed, athleticism and energy to the team on the court.

Are you from Syracuse because his stats do not reflect this nor does his play although I wish he did those things and wish him well.

I have heard of him and guess what he has better stats than Melo in the D league.   Bet you would not have guessed that.   Much better rebounding, PPG and blocks than Melo.
As pointless it is to discuss a 5-game sample, it needs to be pointed out that per-36, they're pretty much the same guy.

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2012, 07:14:04 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Steimsma was pretty well seasoned when he was in the D-league.  Apples and oranges in the sense that Melo is becoming a player while Steimsma was hoping that his ceiling would be enough.  Steimsma is a servicable 5-15 minutes guy -- unlikely to get much better than that.  Melo has an unknown ceiling (not to be confused with an unlimited ceiling).

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 07:14:04 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Just saying it's not that far-fetched to imagine Fab being able to get 10 min a game by the end of the season.

My god those Stiemsma stats are eye popping  :o