Author Topic: A big step in the right direction for the trade everyone threads  (Read 5539 times)

A big step in the right direction for the trade everyone threads
« on: December 10, 2012, 10:09:08 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Any notice how things are starting to click together.  Sure its been slow but our defensive rotations are not the easiest to learn and we've started the season with many new players, injured sg and 2 key reserves coming off HEART surgery.

After reading through the many fire doc, fire danny, trade just about everyone on the  roster ( burn green at the stake).  I'd like everyone to breathe deeply and notice the difference between last game and the start of season.  The defensive rotations still are not 100% but they are getting there.

Avery Bradley isn't the sole key to us winning but he is quite important, he is closer to returning.  Bradley returns we are deep in the guards spots, JET can get back to his customary instant offense off bench job and Lee becomes 4th guard.  Jeff Green is playing limited minutes which seems to have something to do with conditioning/rehab.  Green's offensive game is one the best on team.  Wilcox another heart patient is slowly showing to be a very capable backup to kg.  Sully has gone from start of season rookie who has no clue on defense to a legit backup pf in the league.  This is great as he only has a handful of games under his belt and the improvement is only going to get better.  I'm not sure if its Sully's play but Bass seems to have raised his work level on rebounding and defense.  When Brandon's shot falls it is deadly, he and rondo have the pick and pop down pat.  Many times last year and early this year if his shot wasn't falling he wasn't helping us much.  His rebounding and defensive efforts are much improved.  Of course we expect greatness from rondo (trade him?) Pierce (trade him?) and Garnett.  It seems like the rest of the group is coming around, hopefully enough that the three guys previous can take some games off here and there.

Raise our half filled glasses (filled with green kool aid).  Let Doc do what he does and work the entire team.  Its the playoffs that matter, our defense is getting noticeably better and that is the key, that and health.

Re: A big step in the right direction for the trade everyone threads
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:11:11 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am glad they are playing better, but I still want them to make a move when they can to improve the big man rotation on this team. 

The reason is still the same, Celtics are not getting past a healthy Heats team if they have to play small against them. 

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Agreed. I think the core of the team will remain the same, and Bradley and / or Sullinger are unlikely to be moved.

I do think the Cs will vet carefully what they can get for Bass, Lee or Terry (in that order) plus a pick or Melo at the deadline for a big guy or a ball handler.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:40:32 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I am glad they are playing better, but I still want them to make a move when they can to improve the big man rotation on this team. 

The reason is still the same, Celtics are not getting past a healthy Heats team if they have to play small against them.

Couldnt agree with you more. We need to take some of our assets and turn them into a big man to expose the Heats weakness. This team in no way can out small ball the Heat.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 11:15:49 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72

Couldnt agree with you more. We need to take some of our assets and turn them into a big man to expose the Heats weakness. This team in no way can out small ball the Heat.
+1

I think winning in the post season depends on having a C who can play behind KG for 20 MPG, plus an overall big man rotation that maintains high level of performance when KG is out.

One of the reasons I preferred keeping Ray Allen and using the MLE on a Center was just this. But Ray wouldn't do what I wanted him to do.  >:(

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I am not against a trade by the way, I just way to many people have been wanting a trade, putting outlandish ideas out there, blowing up the team etc.  Wilcox when playing at 100% is a good backup.  Would I rather Gortat, sure, the way he and the suns are going his trade value is going down every week.   We do still have an open (darko) roster spot, Collins is a solid 4th center, Melo will be no help this year.  I'd keep options open my topic was more stop and smell the roses.  We are improving, don't expect to see the real big 3 until playoffs.  I'd rather limit all their minutes, maybe not have the best record but go into playoffs healthy and running on all cylinders.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

I endorse this post 100 percent.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 12:48:34 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
We have Rondo (36), Terry (28), Bradley (25), Lee (20), Barbosa (20), Pierce (34), Green (25) to fill only 3 positions (144).

I didn't do the math but to make that work you'd have to cut more than one guy to less than half of the minutes they deserve, which is really more than what I put in parentheses for most of those guys.  A trade is likely inevitable.  Pairing 1 or even 2 of those guys with Bass or Sully for an upgrade to the bigs would make it much easier for our guys to get in a rhythm on the court.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 12:53:35 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
The C"s are one QUALITY BIG away from where they need to be.   A quality Big ... like Verejao ...would allow us to lock horns on a equal basis with the teams loaded with BIG men and get a step up on the smaller Heat.

Git er dun Danny !! ;D

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
The C"s are one QUALITY BIG away from where they need to be.   A quality Big ... like Verejao ...would allow us to lock horns on a equal basis with the teams loaded with BIG men and get a step up on the smaller Heat.

Git er dun Danny !! ;D
I don't think anyone would disagree that getting Varejao would be a big boost to the Celtics but he a valuable asset and it is going to take something to get him.

The deal would probaly need to be something like

Green, Wilcox, Melo
for
Varejao, Miles

Cle gets a SF (which they need) along with someone who can fill some C minutes (Wilcox), which they will need if the trade Varejao, and an interesting future prospect.

The Cs get their center and a servicable back up SF but have to give up on Green.  I am not sure if Cle could do better than this or not.  I think Green still has some value so maybe.

I would do this but I don't think Danny would.  I think he believes Green is part of the future core.

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 01:31:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I do think the Cs will vet carefully what they can get for Bass, Lee or Terry (in that order) plus a pick or Melo at the deadline for a big guy or a ball handler.
Um, actually Bass is pretty much untradeable. You need another rotation-caliber big guy to go _with_ Garnett, Bass, and Sullinger, because Wilcox is pretty awful right now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We have Rondo (36), Terry (28), Bradley (25), Lee (20), Barbosa (20), Pierce (34), Green (25) to fill only 3 positions (144).

I didn't do the math but to make that work you'd have to cut more than one guy to less than half of the minutes they deserve, which is really more than what I put in parentheses for most of those guys.  A trade is likely inevitable.  Pairing 1 or even 2 of those guys with Bass or Sully for an upgrade to the bigs would make it much easier for our guys to get in a rhythm on the court.
Barbosa has already fallen out of the rotation, and Bradley isn't even healthy yet.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Barbosa has already fallen out of the rotation, and Bradley isn't even healthy yet.

Yeah, I don't see the insistence from many about the playing time for Barbosa. Part of it he's been sick lately, but he'll have a very limited role going forward regardless.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 02:29:34 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Yeah, I don't see the insistence from many about the playing time for Barbosa. Part of it he's been sick lately, but he'll have a very limited role going forward regardless.

Barbosa is good insurance for the bench. If he plays and helps out a bit great but at this point I dont see a need for him to be given minutes. Terry and Lee have been doing a fine job of bringing the ball up the floor with and uptempo offense.

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 05:03:38 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
When Avery Bradley was healthy and our starting SG last season, we had a 70% winning percentage, were the best team in the league (including Miami), and were playing historically good defense.

When he comes back, I expect similar results.  Until then, just stay around .500 and don't get hurt.