Author Topic: Pierce, it is time to take Jeff Green under your wing  (Read 7387 times)

Re: Pierce, it is time to take Jeff Green under your wing
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Pierce should teach Green to take a three-point shot anytime that Pierce would.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
His biggest problem is is footwork.
He jumps off the wrong foot on each side of the basket, he travels so much, and we are lucky he's not called from more travelling violations.
Luckily he's so athletic that he can contort his body mid air to make up for the awkward take off.
Ball handling and footwork drills are what he needs.

THIS!!!

Thank You for saying this!

Jeff Green can never be Paul Pierce-like, because what makes Paul Pierce so special, is for a guy his size, and (non)athleticism, his foot work is phenomenal! (I'd say some of the best footwork over the last 20 years.)

Jeff Green has some of the worst footwork, I've seen since like Anthony Johnson! (old backup point guard for pacers and Nets). Jeff Green's raw athleticism, and large hands, bail him out all the time, from his horrible feet.

This is a large part of why, Jeff Green gets a number of charge fouls, and why he really can't turn the corner on hand-offs and pick-n-rolls.

I'm not sure if he can ever learn those herky-jerky, and hesitation moves of Paul Pierce, because those moves require great footwork and balance. In order to do those kinds of moves Jeff Green is going to have to totally reconstruct his body mechanics. It's pretty much too late for that.

Having said all that, I love what Jeff's done over the past 5 games, and I think he is going to start becoming more consistent, because his found a niche in the system, where he is comfortable. ;D

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 01:15:37 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
JG has show flashes of being a really good player.  But why is anyone comparing him to PP?  Other than playing the 3 position for us, they are completely different players.  The expectations on JG from this board are way too high.  I think best case for us when PP either retires, or starts coming off the bench, is that JG will be able to step in and be a good / nice complimentary starter.  If we want to contend for championships after the KG/PP era, there will need to be more superstar power than RR/JG/Sully/AB.

But really where did the idea come from that he was our next superstar?  With some more maturity, and a bigger role he may develop a bit more alpha dog type mentality but I don't see him becoming an all-star player.  He doesn't seem to have the type of personality to take over a game.  He is what he is, a really good complimentary player.  Why do  we need more from him than that?

don't put a ceiling on anyone.

what is that even supposed to mean?  I gave an opinion.  JG is who determines his ceiling.  Not us.  I would love it if JG turns out to be an allstar.  A lot of people seem to expect to be a future superstar, but I don't believe he will be.  And I really like him as a player...

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 02:02:36 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
What bothers me is that even Green's aggressiveness looks forced. You can literally see him get the ball, hesitate, then think "Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be aggressive," then think for another second, gather himself and then drive to the hoop.

Against any competent playoff defense this is just going to be a disaster.

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 02:31:25 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
The biggest improvement I've seen from Green has been on defense.  He's doing a much better job guarding his man and closing out on shooters.  Offensively, he's just making shots.  When he was struggling, he took exactly the same shots--the corner threes, postups, drives to the hoop--but ever other game, they didn't go in frequently.  Made shots have beget more shots and more playing time. 

I don't think the difference between Pierce and Green is footwork.  Pierce is just a lot quicker than Green, still and when he was Green's age, he was a whole lot quicker.  I know Green is universally considered a better athlete than Pierce ever was and in terms of end to end speed and hops, I agree but quickness isn't always packaged with those attributes.  Pierce had an elite first step and quick second and third steps as well whereas Green is mid-tempo throughout his drives.  If Pierce was matched up against Hawes like Green was on Friday, he wouldn't have struggled to blow right by him.  Green never blows by his man in iso situations; they stay square with him and that's one reason why Green's layup attempts come far from the hoop. 

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 04:51:24 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Watch this video. He talks about Greens footwork.
It's so freaking awkward.

I want you to watch Jeff Green next game and watch his footwork. It's just horrid at times.
Thanks god for his reach, length and soft touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OnTC_KU0Qk
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 05:36:19 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
The guy in that video is very orthodox.  Nowadays jumping off your right foot and shooting with your right hand is not that uncommon.  If it was a sign of terrible footwork, Rondo, Westbrook, Nash, Tyreke Evans, Ginobili, Parker and so on would have bad footwork.  Being able to make shots while jumping off the "wrong" foot is an advantage because it disrupts the timing of the defense and/or helps to get the shot off quicker.

That video showed off Green's inability to drive to his left more than it did bad footwork.  Green's just one of those players who can only drive in one direction.  The Spurs are one of the few teams that really seem to emphasize the weaker hand of the opposition and it's no surprise they forced Green to his left.  For instance, they're one of the most insistent teams at trying to force Chris Paul to his left since Paul almost always goes to his right and finishes with his right. It's easier said than done however because Paul has a killer crossover and changes directions so explosively that he can still get back to his right more times than not.

Green actually showed very nice footwork in the post when he spun his way to a turnaround jumper.

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 05:53:57 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Watch this video. He talks about Greens footwork.
It's so freaking awkward.

I want you to watch Jeff Green next game and watch his footwork. It's just horrid at times.
Thanks god for his reach, length and soft touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OnTC_KU0Qk

Gah our defense is sooooo much better now...why did you have to remind me of that game.....?!?!

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2012, 06:52:18 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The guy in that video is very orthodox.  Nowadays jumping off your right foot and shooting with your right hand is not that uncommon.  If it was a sign of terrible footwork, Rondo, Westbrook, Nash, Tyreke Evans, Ginobili, Parker and so on would have bad footwork.  Being able to make shots while jumping off the "wrong" foot is an advantage because it disrupts the timing of the defense and/or helps to get the shot off quicker.

That video showed off Green's inability to drive to his left more than it did bad footwork.  Green's just one of those players who can only drive in one direction.  The Spurs are one of the few teams that really seem to emphasize the weaker hand of the opposition and it's no surprise they forced Green to his left.  For instance, they're one of the most insistent teams at trying to force Chris Paul to his left since Paul almost always goes to his right and finishes with his right. It's easier said than done however because Paul has a killer crossover and changes directions so explosively that he can still get back to his right more times than not.

Green actually showed very nice footwork in the post when he spun his way to a turnaround jumper.

You need to watch him closer for more games. He's done it his whole career and it's a big problem for him.
Ginobli and Rondo rarely step off the wrong foot, and when they do, they are doing it under control.
Jeff Green somewhat loses control going to the basket a lot, and also over thinks his moves on the perimeter and particularly when back down in the post.
I want you to watch Jeff and see how easily opposing defenders slap the ball out of his hands and how often he travels without it being called.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and I've supported him since the day he was traded as much as anyone here. The only time I was slightly worried was about 12 games in and he was still hesitant and the next game he shut out all doubt I'd ever have.
I understand what you're saying about players jumping off the wrong foot but it's a pure mistake/error on Jeff's part and he does not mean to do it. Thankfully he's got enough athleticism and physical gifts to make up for this problem. I'll try and find some more videos to highlight this.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.