Author Topic: Free Jeff Green!!! : Doc's new rotation  (Read 5642 times)

Re: Free Jeff Green!!! : Doc's new rotation
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sully was a bit of a steal.  He probably should have been a late lotto pick and we grabbed him at #21.  Right now he's right up there as one of the 10 best rookies.

Still... if you get a chance to bring in a star-level big man for a late lotto pick... you do it.

I'll make it easier.  Take off your homer goggles for a second.  Would you rather have Meyers Leonard (picked 10 spots ahead of Sully, performing just as well and is over 7 feet tall) or would you rather have Big Al/Josh Smith/Pau ...  You probably go with the established starting big at the expense of Meyers Leonard... in spite of the "impressive" 5 point 5 rebound averages.  It's nice and all... but it's expendable when you're bringing in a guy who can put up 20 and 10 immediately.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:30:39 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 05:27:03 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I wouldnt be opposed to moving sully for an allstar calibar Big

but most of the trade scenarios have us trading him for someone like Gortat.

who IMO isnt someone who is going to put you "over the top" and you are giving up More talent for someone who is marginally better.

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 05:37:42 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
How about on December 15th we just trade some package of Courtney Lee, Sully, Bradley, Melo and future 1sts for an impact big (Gortat, Big Al, Josh Smith, etc) .. and then just start Jeff Green at his natural SF and Pierce at SG.

Example:

PG - Rondo
SG - Pierce
SF - Green
PF - KG
C - Big Al

... Bring Jason Terry and Barbosa off the bench to be the microwaves they are.  Bass would be a very effective backup big.

Bad trade for the Celtics. Give WAY too much. PP and KG can't handle a ton of minutes, PP would have a hard time against fast SG's.

Bradley's D is going to be great in the playoffs against the other back courts not allowing them to get into there offense till later in the shot clock.

Sully is putting up Bass like numbers, with out the same amount of experiences. Solid for a back up PF.

Now Bass,Lee,and Melo works numbers wise, send them to Utah, Send Big Al to Atlanta and Ship Smith to Boston. Not sure if all teams would jump on this, but would be a better trade then giving up the good half of the bench.

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I agree Green needs more time, particularly against the tougher units with Pierce out there. They are both good in ISO and can create match up nightmares.
I also think that Sullinger needs way more time out there. To think we drafted this guy at 21 still baffles me. He was an absolute steal.
The problem for Sully right now is that he can't get his shot off around the basket comfortably- he's working on it and he's smart enough that he'll develop a way to score amongst the trees in the NBA.

Doc's dilemma is that Sully is a rebounding BEAST. I mean he's gotta be the best, or one of the best rookie rebounders since Fareid right?
But because he can't get his shot off 100% around the rim yet without getting swatted, you're basically sticking him in there to get the rebound and kick it out like Reggie Evans.
The kid has so much talent and we want him to be a stretch 4/5 like KG and nail that 15-18 footer.We want him to be the wealthy version of Carlos Boozer that can shoot, rebound AND play defense.

He's been phenomenal attacking the glass on both ends and just manhandling some NBA giants. I can only imagine how strong and effective he'll be in 2-3 years time.

Free Jeff Green, free Jared Sullinger!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
How about on December 15th we just trade some package of Courtney Lee, Sully, Bradley, Melo and future 1sts for an impact big (Gortat, Big Al, Josh Smith, etc) .. and then just start Jeff Green at his natural SF and Pierce at SG.

Example:

PG - Rondo
SG - Pierce
SF - Green
PF - KG
C - Big Al

... Bring Jason Terry and Barbosa off the bench to be the microwaves they are.  Bass would be a very effective backup big.

Bad trade for the Celtics. Give WAY too much. PP and KG can't handle a ton of minutes, PP would have a hard time against fast SG's.

Bradley's D is going to be great in the playoffs against the other back courts not allowing them to get into there offense till later in the shot clock.

Sully is putting up Bass like numbers, with out the same amount of experiences. Solid for a back up PF.

Now Bass,Lee,and Melo works numbers wise, send them to Utah, Send Big Al to Atlanta and Ship Smith to Boston. Not sure if all teams would jump on this, but would be a better trade then giving up the good half of the bench.

If that's all value Atlanta or Utah can get for Smith or Jefferson I'd be stunned. 

Bass is an average starter at best, Lee is an average reserve and Melo is a raw prospect.  Jefferson and Smith are borderline all-stars.  You need to give up talent to get talent.  Volume mediocrity doesn't add up to enough to attract talent.   

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Example:

PG - Rondo
SG - Pierce
SF - Green
PF - KG
C - Big Al

Agreed, horrible trade. You can't give up Lee AND Bradley.

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 07:44:42 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

If that's all value Atlanta or Utah can get for Smith or Jefferson I'd be stunned. 

Bass is an average starter at best, Lee is an average reserve and Melo is a raw prospect.  Jefferson and Smith are borderline all-stars.  You need to give up talent to get talent.  Volume mediocrity doesn't add up to enough to attract talent.    

Nice, I gotta agree here. This just spells it out well IMHO. Utah doesnt really need more back up bigs either. If anything, they would want at least 1 impact guy like Jeff Green that can upgrade their rotation. He probably still doesnt get it done.

Problem here is that we just have a couple of undersized and overvalued players. Atlanta is more likely to trade with us directly if we can give them some quality depth. We just dont have a big to spare that they can use.

To get a trade like this done we will need a top 15 or so draft pick to compensate for the lack of talent. Aint gonna happen, sorry.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Sully was a bit of a steal.  He probably should have been a late lotto pick and we grabbed him at #21.  Right now he's right up there as one of the 10 best rookies.

Still... if you get a chance to bring in a star-level big man for a late lotto pick... you do it.

I'll make it easier.  Take off your homer goggles for a second.  Would you rather have Meyers Leonard (picked 10 spots ahead of Sully, performing just as well and is over 7 feet tall) or would you rather have Big Al/Josh Smith/Pau ...  You probably go with the established starting big at the expense of Meyers Leonard... in spite of the "impressive" 5 point 5 rebound averages.  It's nice and all... but it's expendable when you're bringing in a guy who can put up 20 and 10 immediately.

Maybe someone will put on their homer glasses and point out that 2 of the 3 players that you claim can put up 20/10 immediately have never done so in their (fairly long) careers. Apparently not wearing those glasses doesn't lead to improved vision.

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I agree Green needs more time, particularly against the tougher units with Pierce out there. They are both good in ISO and can create match up nightmares.
I also think that Sullinger needs way more time out there. To think we drafted this guy at 21 still baffles me. He was an absolute steal.
The problem for Sully right now is that he can't get his shot off around the basket comfortably- he's working on it and he's smart enough that he'll develop a way to score amongst the trees in the NBA.

Doc's dilemma is that Sully is a rebounding BEAST. I mean he's gotta be the best, or one of the best rookie rebounders since Fareid right?
But because he can't get his shot off 100% around the rim yet without getting swatted, you're basically sticking him in there to get the rebound and kick it out like Reggie Evans.
The kid has so much talent and we want him to be a stretch 4/5 like KG and nail that 15-18 footer.We want him to be the wealthy version of Carlos Boozer that can shoot, rebound AND play defense.

He's been phenomenal attacking the glass on both ends and just manhandling some NBA giants. I can only imagine how strong and effective he'll be in 2-3 years time.

Free Jeff Green, free Jared Sullinger!

I think sully has been doing a great job at not getting swatted to be honest. His up-fake has got numerous guys landing on his back and giving him free throws and he has scored several tip-ins.

Per 36 this guy is 10/10 already. For a rookie they're great numbers.

This is why I'm so hesitant to package sully for a middle of the heap player like Gortat.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 07:18:12 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I almost wonder if Green is playing so few minutes because his stamina isnt quite there yet...he's still being productive in his 23-25minutes...but im not sure why he i'snt getting minutes over guys like Bass/Lee

whether its illness or not, Barbosa seems to have fallen out of doc's rotation.

I think there is something to this, and Doc wanted to ease Jeff back into the league.  We forget that the NBA season is 82-games long, with a ton of travel, and with a grinding playoff system.  Not the best recipe for someone coming off of open-heart surgery.

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 07:36:06 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
SAW IT!  Just watched 2nd Philly game on rerun, Green very clearly raised his arm to bench for sub and pierce is put in
This would be expected off heart surgery but was wondering a bit ago if they were keeping his minutes in check.

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 08:40:34 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Green off the bench has work the last few games. 

I rather see Lee put back in the starting lineup until AB returns and takes that spot back. 

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Green off the bench has work the last few games. 

I rather see Lee put back in the starting lineup until AB returns and takes that spot back.
I FULLY agree on the Lee part.  If Terry's shot is off he doesn't offer us much, he hustles on defense and keeps ball moving on offense but he can do the same from bench.  Lee will really hustle and bring good defense every game.  Terry is "microwave" like, he can come in and change a game easily.  I'm wondering if he might be more comfortable at this point coming off bench?  Of course watching Rondo's legs last game I'm wondering if he is due a break and lee and terry will start.  Both rondo & paul aren't looking fully healthy, rondo for sure did his ankle.