Author Topic: Free Jeff Green!!! : Doc's new rotation  (Read 5652 times)

Free Jeff Green!!! : Doc's new rotation
« on: December 09, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »

Offline Spinmove00

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Please Doc, let Jeff Green play!  I will agree he started the season off lethargic and lost.  But as of the last 5 games or so he has been playing great basketball consistently, and has earned a right to play 30 minutes a night.  He deserves to play more than Bass and Lee.

Doc, it's time you stop being so stubborn.  It's time to change the rotation and the quicker you realize it, the better!  This team can and will be so much better if you just utilize the roster you have now properly. 

This is my proposal for the new rotation

PG: Rondo-35mins/ Barbosa-13mins
SG: Terry-30mins/ Pierce-8mins/ Lee-10mins
SF: Pierce-22mins/ Green-26mins
PF: Sullinger-25mins/ Bass-19mins/ Green-4mins
C : KG-28mins/ Wilcox-20mins

It's time to start committing to going with a big lineup.  Remember Doc, this rotation does not have to be etched in stone.  It is just an average of where you want there minutes to be around.  Example; if you are playing the Sixes, give Jeff Green some extended minutes at the 4 because of the matchup with Thaddeus Young.    Also, if a player has a hot hand, keep him in and roll with it until he cools of or gets tired. If a player is having an off night, sit him.  Thats what we have a deep roster for, use it!

Once Avery Bradley comes back and he gets to the level of late last season or better you have to get him at least 28-30mins a game as well.  That is probably going to come at the expense of Barbosa and Lee.  Also can cut some of Terry's mins too.

After evaluating the team being utilized properly and seeing what each player can really do, then Danny can pull the trigger on a trade to put is over the top and grab banner 18!

Re: Free Jeff Green!!! : Doc's new rotation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 01:09:47 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
I almost wonder if Green is playing so few minutes because his stamina isnt quite there yet...he's still being productive in his 23-25minutes...but im not sure why he i'snt getting minutes over guys like Bass/Lee

whether its illness or not, Barbosa seems to have fallen out of doc's rotation.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »

Offline Spinmove00

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Stamina issues would be the only reason I can accept him getting 23 mins a game.  I have noticed Barbosa minutes have dropped.  I think it's the illness and the defense of Lee that has kept him off the floor.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Please Doc, let Jeff Green play!  I will agree he started the season off lethargic and lost.  But as of the last 5 games or so he has been playing great basketball consistently, and has earned a right to play 30 minutes a night.  He deserves to play more than Bass and Lee.

Doc, it's time you stop being so stubborn.  It's time to change the rotation and the quicker you realize it, the better!  This team can and will be so much better if you just utilize the roster you have now properly. 

It's time to start committing to going with a big lineup.  Remember Doc, this rotation does not have to be etched in stone.  It is just an average of where you want there minutes to be around.  Example; if you are playing the Sixes, give Jeff Green some extended minutes at the 4 because of the matchup with Thaddeus Young.    Also, if a player has a hot hand, keep him in and roll with it until he cools of or gets tired. If a player is having an off night, sit him.  Thats what we have a deep roster for, use it!

Once Avery Bradley comes back and he gets to the level of late last season or better you have to get him at least 28-30mins a game as well.  That is probably going to come at the expense of Barbosa and Lee.  Also can cut some of Terry's mins too.

After evaluating the team being utilized properly and seeing what each player can really do, then Danny can pull the trigger on a trade to put is over the top and grab banner 18!

Why not start Green at the two and keep pierce at the 3 until Bradley comes back. Indian seemed to do pretty well starting two SF with Granger and George. I don't see who this wouldn't work for the Celtics.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Why not start Green at the two and keep pierce at the 3 until Bradley comes back. Indian seemed to do pretty well starting two SF with Granger and George. I don't see who this wouldn't work for the Celtics.

Love it.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Love it.

Did this against Philly once I think?

Jason Richardson on Pierce, Turner on JG.

Did not abuse the mismatches. I was super excited because even with my untrained eyes I saw mismatches galore. But they were apparently "not selfish enough".

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Overall my thought is whether Jeff starts or not , his recent play /attitude /effort deserves him an increase in playing time. 

I think Doc now owes it to Green now that Jeff has stepped up for the team to give him more floor time.... especially with  KG and Sullinger on the court , they can pull the defense to honor the mid range ball and let Jeff ISO's go to work.

I still think the most potent lineup is  KG-GREEN-SULLY-RONDO-JET/Pierce

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 02:00:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think any plan that involves Pierce (or Green) playing the 2 on a regular basis is not a good idea.  It may make sense as an in-game adjustment to specific personnel, but it is not something they should be planning on doing every game.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
How about on December 15th we just trade some package of Courtney Lee, Sully, Bradley, Melo and future 1sts for an impact big (Gortat, Big Al, Josh Smith, etc) .. and then just start Jeff Green at his natural SF and Pierce at SG.

Example:

PG - Rondo
SG - Pierce
SF - Green
PF - KG
C - Big Al

... Bring Jason Terry and Barbosa off the bench to be the microwaves they are.  Bass would be a very effective backup big. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:15:40 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 03:09:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That bench is really weak but I would rather have a good starting five than a good bench.   Can Bass play back up center?

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 03:18:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
That bench is really weak but I would rather have a good starting five than a good bench.   Can Bass play back up center?
Who is our backup center right now?  Right now we don't even have a starting center... we have KG playing out of position at center. 

If we had a starting lineup of actual starters, we could always use smallball as it's intended... sporadically off the bench.  And in those instances if you don't want to play someone like Wilcox or Collins, you can just have Bass be the default "center" in that lineup.

We'd have some backup bigs in Wilcox and Bass... backup guards in Terry and Barbosa.  I think the main concern would be backup SF if Pierce and Jeff Green were both starting.  I wouldn't worry about that, though.

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
To me,  JGreen is the key.  He is the piece we were missing last season vs Miami.  Can't see the Cs winning the East without JGreen playing a big part.

He should play more minutes with the starters.

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I also love Sullinger's step up in minutes, this kid might be the best Celtics rookie we've seen in a long time. The kid seems to be really understanding his rotations, he's not grabbing rebounds he's attacking them, his shot is developing, and he's a very VERY intelligent passer. Where Brandon Bass hesitates to make the safe pass, Sully hits his teammates nice as they're coming off screens and keeps them in an attacking flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZm_laBbEb4

I love this kid.

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 04:03:32 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I also love Sullinger's step up in minutes, this kid might be the best Celtics rookie we've seen in a long time. The kid seems to be really understanding his rotations, he's not grabbing rebounds he's attacking them, his shot is developing, and he's a very VERY intelligent passer. Where Brandon Bass hesitates to make the safe pass, Sully hits his teammates nice as they're coming off screens and keeps them in an attacking flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZm_laBbEb4

I love this kid.
I agree he looked real Z-Bo like here he just knows where to be, carves space up, isn't a big leaper but somehow gets it over bigger guys. The rebounds where he's dang near the 3pt line yet still gets it over guys near the rim is just impressive.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 04:06:28 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Who is our backup center right now?  Right now we don't even have a starting center... we have KG playing out of position at center. 

This is Incorrect....if KG is "out of position at center" then the Spurs are playing Tim Duncan "out of position" as well

at this point in his career KG has the best mismatches offensively playing Center...he's not quick enough to play Power Forward full time and be effective

after how well he has played last yeaqr when he was switched to the 5 through this year, they are Not moving him back to PF