Author Topic: Jeff Green vs. James Posey  (Read 3560 times)

Re: Jeff Green vs. James Posey
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Posey all day every day.  Stats are the last thing you should be looking at when talking about what he did for us.  Whereas Jeff does one thing, score.

Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 10:37:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I can understand the temptation to compare the two players: Both key reserves who come in and can hit a 3-pointer and play front court positions.  However, that is where the similarities end as already discussed above by others.  JG can the athleticism to play elite defense like Posey but not the ability at this point.  However,  Green is a better offensive player in that he has post moves that Posey does not.

The salary thing is not really relevant. Posey lot a lot after he left Boston but got paid essentially for "past performance". Green we expect to actually get better as he works off his current contract.

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 10:43:02 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Posey all day every day.  Stats are the last thing you should be looking at when talking about what he did for us.  Whereas Jeff does one thing, score.
Yep.  It seemed like Posey would do something positive in crunch time every time.  If an opposing team was trying to run a crunchtime play, I fully expected Posey to at least get a deflection to disrupt the play every freaking time.

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 10:46:21 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Posey was a very rare player, the kind who didnt care about stats but rather just winning. I am not saying Green is not like this but just that Posey was. Posey had the rare ability to do anything that was needed to win. It's extremely rare to find that in players today. Bird had this in abundance and so did Magic. To a lesser degree so did MJ althouhg he really didnt need it as much either.

A player who can make the right play at just the right time wether it be a key rebound, defensive stop or three point shot is a difficult player to find and Posey had it. Green though may end up impacting the game as much if he can keep improving his offense and be even half the player Posey was on D.

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 02:05:50 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Ah, the legend of James Posey... vastly exaggerated.

Mmmm not really. Key role player in the only championship in 20 plus years and without him they come up a bit short...deal with it. Legend no.

If those were the only accolades people would place on him, I'd have no problem with it.

But he wasn't infallible, lest we forget how often we gave away leads in the 4th partly because our defense deteriorated with him playing PF (a tactic that work against the Lakers though). He was part of the Doc fascination with small ball.

Or we forget his poor performance in the Piston's series on both sides of the floor... though he was effective in the little time he spent guarding Billups.

We forget that until the last game of the series, he was very ineffective guarding Kobe (which took a lot of team effort to do so on that day). He was very good against Odom though.

We forget how after the first couple of games in the series against the Cavs, he could no longer guard LeBron James. Yes, we're talking about LeBron a big talent, but because he could no longer contain him we had to rely on Pierce constantly when Posey role on this team was precisely to keep players like him in check so that Pierce didn't have to. Posey completely disappeared after 3 games.

And ultimately he was a limited offensive player for us, who thankfully hit those corner 3s when we needed it.

I loved Posey, but I don't think we need to be carried away with what he did in our championship run, and certainly a great leader in that squad, and gave us some good toughness and edge. He helped us win some key games, and for that I'll appreciate the heck out of him. But he had his faults, he had his down games, and he certainly had some games where the effort wasn't there like we'd like to see. So yes, he disappeared on occasions, yes he hurt us by being on the floor plenty of times, but we persevered.

Okay yeah I can agree that he got drastically overrated after helping us to a title..was overpaid and out of the league within a couple seasons but I'm not sure we win that title without him...heck of a role player on a loaded team...ill always respect him but hes no legend and Jeff green has twice the potential.

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
if the playoffs were to be played tomorrow, Posey.

We can revisit this topic in April, though, and by then I bet Green will be playing a lot better than today. His D can be fantastic but it seems like he can't play at full speed for more than 20 minutes. When the playoffs start, his physical condition will improve and he'll be a beast on both ends.

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 04:55:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Jeff Green is better than Posey was.  He's our 4th best player and should be starting.  Posey always was a role player.

Tough to compare to that 2008 team, though.  In 2008 we had three hall of famers close to their prime. 

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I never saw all that much to Posey ,  total bench player...from what I saw I'd rather have Green...he is a starter on alot of teams,

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 08:31:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Posey was a perfect fit off the bench of that title team. 

He played defense.

He consistently took advantage of the open outside shot.

But that team was also more talented at the top.  They had no need for a starter off the bench. 

Green is having a hot streak.  For him to be a better player for the Celtics (not the more talented player because he is), he needs this to be more then just a hot streak and to show up when it counts (playoffs)