Author Topic: Pierce, it is time to take Jeff Green under your wing  (Read 7394 times)

Pierce, it is time to take Jeff Green under your wing
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:41:36 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Dear Paul Pierce,

Show Jeff Green the ropes. I need you to get into his ear and talk to him about how to be more effective. Green has all the tools of a young Pierce, what he is missing is the mental approach. Help him out captain!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:36:42 PM by Redz »
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Peirce, it is time to take Jeff Green under your wing
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Dear Paul Pierce,

Show Jeff Green the ropes. I need you to get into his ear and talk to him about how to be more effective. Green has all the tools of a young Pierce, what he is missing is the mental approach. Help him out captain!
I've noticed KG is already in Green's ear.  I agree with the tools part.  If I could pick a basketball body to put a brain in, Jeff Green would be on my list.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:24:53 PM »

Offline twistedrico14

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Jeff Green has really turned his game up the last 4 games. He looks awesome again tonight.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:29:29 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Dear Paul Pierce,

I've noticed KG is already in Green's ear.  I agree with the tools part.  If I could pick a basketball body to put a brain in, Jeff Green would be on my list.

I agree also that JG has the tools, but I think he has a high bball IQ too. He just needs to be more confident and aggressive,

John Thompson Jr. says that JG is "the smartest bball player" he has ever coached.He's gonnna get it together. Trust me.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Dear Paul Pierce,

I agree also that JG has the tools, but I think he has a high bball IQ too. He just needs to be more confident and aggressive,

John Thompson Jr. says that JG is "the smartest bball player" he has ever coached.He's gonnna get it together. Trust me.

TP for the quote. Jeff is starting to get things together, and play D to add to his good offense. By the end of february, we'll see a glimpse of what this team can be, with a healthy Avery and Jet+Lee+Green playing and not thinking so much as right now.

go Celtics!

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Dear Paul Pierce,

TP for the quote. Jeff is starting to get things together, and play D to add to his good offense. By the end of february, we'll see a glimpse of what this team can be, with a healthy Avery and Jet+Lee+Green playing and not thinking so much as right now.

go Celtics!

Like the optimism...+1

Re: Pierce, it is time to take Jeff Green under your wing
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 04:41:06 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This comparing of Jeff Green to Pierce has to stop.

They are very different players, despite the fact that they play the same position.  We need to expect different things from Jeff than we expect from Pierce.  Jeff is never going to become Pierce.

Pierce is an all-time great scorer.  He will know how to score until the very last day he steps on a court.  For his career, Pierce has averaged 21.5 points per 36 minutes, on 15.8 shot attempts and 7.2 free throws.  Jeff is an average scorer who can exploit matchups to go off at certain times.  For his career, Jeff has averaged 14.9 points per 36 minutes, on 12.6 shots attempts and 3.5 shot attempts.  Pierce's career high PER is 23.6, and his average PER is 20.6.  Jeff has never had a PER higher than 13.9 -- below league average.

Ideally, Jeff Green is a glue guy who will make some big plays and give you a nice all-around contribution without being the focal point.  He's got a lot more Lamar Odom in him than Paul Pierce.  That's not even a bad thing.  We just need to let him play that role and not try to shoehorn him into one he's not suited for.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 05:04:19 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think I understand what JSD is saying...if I took a stab at it, JSD's comments could be construed as:

"Paul Pierce - show JG how to be a playmaker..make your teammates better."

Jeff Green already knows how to score..he's showing flashes of playing defense. He's long and athletic. He needs to become more of a vocal leader - but the leadership part can wait. He needs to become a better facilitator - someone to run the offense THROUGH - not so much get points. Need more assists out of him.

BUT - in the role that Doc and the team has for him RIGHT NOW? He's perfect. We don't necessarily NEED - right NOW - for him to average 12 pts, 5 rebs and 4 assists off the bench. That stat line would be great, but I'm thankful for that scoring.

Jeff Green is providing that - the scoring. I believe he already has the tools to provide the assists and everything else we could eventually need from him as a potential future starter on this team.

With that, I'm guessing that's where JSD is going with his post. Jeff Green could very well be a future piece on our team, and in replacing Paul Pierce we'd need a bit more out of him.

But RIGHT NOW? I'm happy for the man and his production. Keep it up, Super 8.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 05:51:39 AM »

Offline Celticsbloke

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Green has all the tools of a young Pierce, what he is missing is the mental approach.

Jeff is starting to play some nice ball, but I wouldn't say he has all the tools of a young Pierce yet. The thing that really limits him is his ball-handling. At the moment, teams can shut him down if he doesn't get the right mismatch or a good lane to the basket. 

If Pierce can help Green develop his ball-handling and pick up some of his tricks for throwing defenders off-balance, he will be able to maneuver defenders to draw fouls, get to the basket or create a mid-range shot for himself.

Those skills won't develop overnight, but I'd like to think that over the next couple of years, Jeff will apply himself and gradually acquire some of Pierce's tricks.

The Celtics would then be in pretty good shape at SF, with Pierce able to transition to more of a veteran scorer's role off the bench if he wants to down the track. 

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 07:57:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
What Jeff Green needs is some of Pierces "COLD BLOODED" offensive instincts, no hesitation to score.  How to intimidate the other player, get under his skin , distract him and then throw down in his face.

Green has his own moves... he needs to learn the pleasure (Pierce) feels as he destroys his opponents.  He needs to let the game come to him and assert himself everytime a Jeff Green matchup advantage comes his way.

Jeff , just be ruthless on the court. Talk smack and get under the skin of your opponent some.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 08:12:11 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
What Jeff Green needs is some of Pierces "COLD BLOODED" offensive instincts, no hesitation to score.  How to intimidate the other player, get under his skin , distract him and then throw down in his face.

Green has his own moves... he needs to learn the pleasure (Pierce) feels as he destroys his opponents.  He needs to let the game come to him and assert himself everytime a Jeff Green matchup advantage comes his way.

Jeff , just be ruthless on the court. Talk smack and get under the skin of your opponent some.

Jeff isn't a smack talker. That's just not him.

I do agree that he can have a bit more of an intimidation factor though.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

As others have said, that's just not Green's game.

Green is in his 5th NBA season now!  He is who he is at this point.  And he is NOT Paul Pierce, nor anybody like Paul Pierce.

We should be hoping for Jeff Green to maximize the talents he has and the style of play that he is comfortable playing, not hoping for him to suddenly turn into a young Paul Pierce.

Jeff Green is not Rudy Gay. (not saying Rudy Gay is a young Pierce, but he's a scorer first, the way Paul always has been)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 08:58:13 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Hopefully, Green is this year's Avery Bradley, and he finally will get it and get the most of his considerable ability.  I'm not that hopeful, since the guy's been around the NBA for over a half decade now. 

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 10:12:20 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
His biggest problem is is footwork.
He jumps off the wrong foot on each side of the basket, he travels so much, and we are lucky he's not called from more travelling violations.
Luckily he's so athletic that he can contort his body mid air to make up for the awkward take off.
Ball handling and footwork drills are what he needs.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 10:45:38 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
not to mention he  still have to leaarn how to deffend lebron
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!