Author Topic: I'm actually satisfied with our current record.  (Read 2252 times)

I'm actually satisfied with our current record.
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:00:43 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Okay. I'm sure many would disagree. Sure, 10-9 isn't that really good if you are looking on paper but we still have 63 games to go.

Just look at the current record of the teams that are ahead of us in the Conference:

New York - 14-4
Miami - 12-5
Atlanta - 11-5
Chicago - 10-8
Brooklyn - 11-7
Philadelphia - 10-8

- We still don't know what New York is really capable yet so I can't say anything on them for now.

- Miami is just 5 L away from us and we still have 63 games to catch them up.

- Looks like Brooklyn is starting to slip.

- I'm not worried about Atlanta. Look at the last year's playoffs

- Philly is same as Atlanta and we actually snatch the division title from them last year.

- We just beat Chicago on their homecourt.

Things to be excited from this team:

- The defensive is starting to be solid. It would be more solid once Avery Bradley comes back

- Jeff Green is starting to get his groove. It would be great if he more minutes so Pierce can get more rest.

- Consistent effort from our point guard Rondo. Last year, many are complaining on how inconsistent he is. He seems to put that issue away now.

- We no longer need to worry about offensive options. The only thing to worry is Doc's decisions.

- Our rebounding efforts also improved. Good to see someone on our team being a threat in the paint.

Things to improve on remaining games:

- Although the defense are already there, it is still not on the level of defense from last season. That can be fixed in time

- As much good as our perimeter defense are, I can't say the same thing in the paint. We have now less option on the big since Darko left the team. I hope Danny can fix it by acquiring some decent big to contribute.

- Turnovers are killing me. But as much as I hate them, it is unavoidable. They need to get familiar with each play and mistakes might be the only way to improve it.

- Doc's bad coaching habits. Sometimes, he is just being too stubborn. Refusing to bench the best players when they are definitely playing bad. If he realize it, he can make better rotation and match up for games. Also, he needs to know when to use the small ball lineup.

To those who said this team is finished, better finish the whole season or at least the all star break or you might eat a crow.

Re: I'm actually satisfied with our current record.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 06:09:51 AM »

Kiorrik

That lil' rant of your should really be worth at least a couple of Tommy points.

Cheers, good read, that.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 06:22:21 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Right now, this team sucks. There's no other way to describe it. They haven't beaten one good team yet. Not sure what others seeing but right now, I just see a bad team that can't close out games.

And by the way, the 10-9 record is hardly indicative of how good they are. If it wasn't for wins over cream puff teams like Washington, Toronto, Minnesota and Utah, they might not have won a game yet.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 06:22:40 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
TP for the post.

We've been playing better as of late, but still a way to go IMO.

- The defense is still not where it should be, though again, better lately.   We have been a top-tier defensive team in terms of points/possession the past several years, and this year we are middle of the pack.

- Turnovers hurt us too much.  We take better care of the ball vs. Philly last night,we win in regulation.

- While we are not cut out to be a good rebounding team, we are absolutely terrible.  Moderate improvements in this area would also help.   Like many of you, I expect a trade to help us shore up the interior D/rebounding.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:00:13 AM by Kuberski1 »

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 06:24:48 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Right now, this team sucks. There's no other way to describe it. They haven't beaten one good team yet. Not sure what others seeing but right now, I just see a bad team that can't close out games.

And by the way, the 10-9 record is hardly indicative of how good they are. If it wasn't for wins over cream puff teams like Washington, Toronto, Minnesota and Utah, they might not have won a game yet.
The OKC team sure does sucks :)

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 06:32:31 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Lol, yeah. Any chance we can flip Pierce for Durant?

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 06:37:45 AM »

Kiorrik

Lol, yeah. Any chance we can flip Pierce for Durant?
Yeah. No.

Very, very doubtful, at the very, very best.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 07:01:37 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I am not satisfied with the record, but it's not the end of the world.  They were 15-19 last year after 34 games.  They played .700 ball after the break and arguably should have won the Eastern Conference.

Avery Bradley, back and healthy, is huge for us.  Courtney Lee is not getting it done right now.  That airball last night was horrendous.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 07:51:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Love this team regardless of record since 78!

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 08:07:32 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

I was gonna say "I bet someone posts something negative soon".

But TP to the guy. There's a lot too be positive about.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 08:08:25 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
for me personally, i dont care about the record at all.  there are only three things i want from this team (4, if u include a title):

1: make the playoffs and hopefully avoid miami in the first round

2: be healthy heading into the postseason

3: head into the postseason playing well

for me, the first half of the season doesn't matter.  the second half and postseason do.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 08:30:59 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
for me personally, i dont care about the record at all.  there are only three things i want from this team (4, if u include a title):

1: make the playoffs and hopefully avoid miami in the first round

2: be healthy heading into the postseason

3: head into the postseason playing well

for me, the first half of the season doesn't matter.  the second half and postseason do.

THIS. Point for point.

Doesnt matter what our record is, as long as we make the playoffs healthy, it's good enough for me.

We have proven that we don't need HCA to win a series. We just need to be there, no matter what the record says.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 10:21:46 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I am actually concerned.  Both Pierce and KG look old to me so far this year and I feel they are the key to the team.  Yeah, it's early, yeah, we get Bradley back soon, yeah, a trade for some beef would help, so I recognize a lot can still happen.

With PP and KG, they are both playing well and it is not that they have fallen off a cliff or anyting but I am seeing enough shadows of father time to be concerned.

With Pierce for example it is turnovers.  It seems there are just more plays that end up with a sloppy pass where he just can't make the play he wants to.  With KG, I see it with his one on one defense.  He is really limited side to side.  Both guys are warriors and if healthy will likely elevate some for the playoffs so I am not concerned to the point of blow it up but I am concerned.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
KG is averagine 15ppg and 7rebounds on 50% shooting...not sure how you can say he looks old out there.

Pierce, his shooting percentages have been poor..but he doesnt look injured..I think they'll come back to normal

what has been a bane to this team so far is their defense ...but it is clearly improving game to game...we held the 76ers to 37% shooting last night...if you can hold teams to those points you WILL win alot of games...and Bradley coming back in the next few weeks will help that as well.

it's a make/miss league. Pierce/KG make those bunnies we may be talking a different game?

last year we were below .500 at the all-star break and ended up going on a 70% win streak to end out the season

we are already playing better than that, and if the Defense get's back to its level by January I could see us going on a nice run...and the Nets/Knicks will surely have their periods of downtime during the season...EVERY TEAM does

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
last year we were below .500 at the all-star break and ended up going on a 70% win streak to end out the season
A lot of people are referencing this point as a source of their optimism.  I must say that I thought the Celtics would be better based on the preseason roster development and perhaps based on watching last season's post-all-star surge.  I don't know.  I am just conncerned based on what I see on the court.

We can't defend if KG is not on the court and we have trouble closing out games if PP is not "hot".  At some point, they just won't be able to flip that post-all-star/Playoff switch and right now, I am concerned that this is what we are banking on to save the season.