Author Topic: Sixers (11-8) at Celtics (10-9) 12/8  (Read 27938 times)

Sixers (11-8) at Celtics (10-9) 12/8
« on: December 08, 2012, 01:52:17 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at   
Philadelphia 76ers (11-8) at Boston Celtics (10-9)
Saturday, December 8, 2012
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #20, Home Game #11
TV: CSNNE, CSNP, NBA LP 757
Radio:  WEEI,  WPEN
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG: Rajon Rondo ...................................... SG: Jason Terry

C: Kevin Garnett

SF:  Paul Pierce ....................................... PF: Brandon Bass

Celtics Reserves
Jared Sullinger
Jason Collins
Courtney Lee
Jeff Green
Kris Joseph
Leandro Barbosa
Chris Wilcox

Injuries

Avery Bradley (shoulders) out

D-League
Fab Melo

Probable Starters

PG: Jrue Holiday ....................................  SG: Jason Richardson

C: Lavoy Allen

SF: Evan Turner  ......................................  PF: Thaddeus Young

Sixers Reserves
Sixers Reserves
Damien Wilkins
Spencer Hawes
Arnett Moultrie
Maalik Wayns
Kwame Brown

Injuries
Andrew Bynum (knee) out
Royal Ivey (groin) doubtful
Nick Young (toe) questionable

Key Matchups 
  vs 
Paul Pierce vs Evan Turner
Turner is becoming the Sixers go-to guy.  He scored 26 points  (10-26) and grabbed 10 rebounds in the last game including the game winner.  Paul Pierce had an almost identical shooting night with 27 points on 9-24 shooting to go with 4 rebounds and 5 assists. Pierce also played almost 45 minutes and that could be a factor in this game.  If his legs aren't there he needs to pass more and shoot less. 

vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Jrue Holiday
As has been the case so many times, as Rondo goes, so go the Celtics.  When Rondo is aggressive the Celtics seem to click on all cylinders.  When he is passive, they struggle to score and seem to lapse into trying to do too much as individuals instead of playing team ball.  Rondo had a triple double in the last game, but missed the last shot in both regulation and in OT.  The Celtics need him to continue to be aggressive in this game also. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - As always, defense is key to winning.  Period.  The Celtics did a good job of holding the Sixers to 37% shooting in the first game but some of that was the Sixers missing open shots.  The Celtics need to ramp up the defense even more.  The Sixers scored 40 points in the paint and the Celtics need to do better at defending the basket. 

Take Care of the Ball  - The Celtics tend to turn the ball over way too much.   The Celtics need to keep their focus and make smart passes and avoid the costly turnovers that almost always lead to a score for the other team.  They turned the ball over 18 times for 21 Sixers points.  That was the difference in the game.  They must take better care of the ball. 

Rebound - When the Celtics put out the effort to win the battle of the boards, they usually win..  Rebounding is mostly effort and will and when the Celtics put the effort on the glass it usually shows up in other areas also.   They did a good job of staying with the Sixers in the rebounding category and they need to continue to do that again in this game. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics need to stay aggressive.  They have to be more aggressive going to the hoop and not settling for outside shots.   They have to be more aggressive going to the basket.   They have to be aggressive on defense, in going after loose balls, and in going after rebounds.  They have to be the team that wants it more. 

Game Notes
The Celtics take on the Sixers for the second night in a row as they complete the home and home series.  The Celtics are coming off of a heartbreaking loss in over time in the first game.  And playing the extra minutes in overtime may result in less energy for this game.

This game will be at home and hopefully the crowd can give them a boost and help them to dig down and find some extra energy.  The Sixers also played the extra minutes the night before, but they are younger and it probably won't affect them as much. 

The Celtics need to drive the ball more and depend less on jumpers and 3 pointers since their legs may not be there in the second of back to back games.  Rondo is coming off of a triple double and pretty much had his way with Jrue Holiday, who might be looking to regain the edge.  Rondo needs to continue to play aggressively on both ends of the court. 

The Sixers have now won 2 preseason games and 2 regular season games.  The Celtics need to make a stand here as this game may come back to haunt them at the end of the season when they are vying for playoff seeding.   The Celtics need to dig down and win this one. 

X-Factors

Back to Back  and Home Court
The Celtics seem to be affected more when they play back to back games.  Hopefully they don't run out of gas before the end.  The home crowd should give them a bit of added energy. 

Re: Sixers (11-8) at Celtics (10-9) 12/8
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 01:58:09 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Come on celtics win this!

Sick of losing to these chumps. Philly always seem to give us a hard time.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 12:45:04 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I have a feeling that we come out with intensity/fire tonight after last nights loss..

the team gets a chance to avenge the loss and I think they will.

but, with Pierce/KG logging heavy minutes(more pierce than KG IMO) we are going to need the bench guys to step up.

looking for good games from; Rondo, Jeff Green tonight'

and bounce back games from: Terry, Bass

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Honestly, if we win i won't feel any better about this team. If we lose i will feel worse tho.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 12:58:31 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
38 points, 13 rebounds, 8 assists, 4 steals

Anyone know what this is?

Evan Turner's stat line tonight.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Hysterical.  I'll give you a tommy point a day for a month if he even comes close to those numbers. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
No more playing down to bad teams. Collins is the worlds biggest cheerleader . He has them believing they are great....and they are not. 

Come on GREEN !!! bring these jokers back down to earth.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Barbosa Bass and Courtney lee with fresh legs. sully too.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
No more playing down to bad teams. Collins is the worlds biggest cheerleader . He has them believing they are great....and they are not. 

I disagree, i think the sixers are good man.

Their back court is going to be very good for years to come. They will regret bynum though.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

Their back court is going to be very good for years to come. They will regret bynum though.

Their coach has made believers out of them for sure, he has em play en better than they really are IMO.  I thought it was Iggy that slayed the Celtics , we should be beating them now .

Maybe Jeff Green 's young legs will take over put the Celtics over the hump tonight.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 04:23:51 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279

Hysterical.  I'll give you a tommy point a day for a month if he even comes close to those numbers.
It's on!  ;D

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 05:04:44 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1948

Agreed.  Philly always plays us tough too.

Honestly, I didn't expect to win both of these games, so I will definitely be satisfied if we win tonight, but very disappointed if we lose.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 05:11:16 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Their coach has made believers out of them for sure, he has em play en better than they really are IMO.  I thought it was Iggy that slayed the Celtics , we should be beating them now .

Maybe Jeff Green 's young legs will take over put the Celtics over the hump tonight.

See, i guess we just see their players differently. I Think Holiday is a stud scorer, not top 25 or anything yet at 22, but he'll be a multiple allstar before he's done.

Turner is quickly showing that the "Bust" label was put on him to quickly, He's going to be a lights out scorer, he's already putting up good numbers. I see him as more of a 2 though.

LAvoy Allen is a nice young piece too.

They need to add a true 3, and depth in the front court, but they aint the raptors man, and we're not the Celtics of 2 years ago.

regretfully, I think the two teams are pretty close talent wise at this point.

I think Philly will be around in the end. Heck unless we show some stones soon they might win the Atlantic.

All that said, We should beat them tonight at home, and in a playoff series. There not quite there yet.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
looking for a better night from JET (couldn't be much worse)

a better night from Sully and Bass too.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 06:40:45 PM »

Offline Swoopz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
I have a feeling that Terry's gonna make up for all those missed shots last night. I also think that Rondo's gonna come out with some fire too