Author Topic: is Green finally turning the corner?  (Read 7699 times)

Re: is Green finally turning the corner?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 12:09:46 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I bet green could average what pierce is averaging if he shot as many shots and played as many mins.

Probably not.  Pierce still gets to the line more and, going into this game, took more three's while making them at a higher percentage.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 01:50:20 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
A really good handful of games from Jeff. He is going to need to take more of the load off pierce as the season goes on.

Played 30 minutes tonight. Hopefully he is getting close to his peak physical ability.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 03:28:10 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Quote from: LooseCannon
Probably not.  Pierce still gets to the line more and, going into this game, took more three's while making them at a higher percentage.
[/quote

After today's game:

Green: 15-33 (46%)
Pierce: 32-90 (36%)

Pierce has taken more yes, but he's also playing significantly more minutes and has a much higher usage rate (29% vs 22%)

Even if you adjusted for all that Pierce would still be a higher volume three point shooter, but it doesn't necessarilly mean he's been a BETTER three point shooter. 

Green has been killing it from the corner.

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 03:48:28 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I keep tellin ya'll about James Worthy!

I can never tell if these comparisons are jokes, but Green doesn't even remotely resemble James Worthy to me.

He has looked good lately, though.

James Worthy Green is not, but that's lofty company.  Green's certainly been a lot better and strung together about four good games in a row after not putting back to back good games together before then.

I still don't know what to make of Green.  I'm glad he's nailing the corner 3 and I was ecstatic to see him grab an offensive board and put it back in against Philly.  He's defending better and he doesn't lack the physicality to get to the line, which I like a lot.  But why can he not take advantage of Hawes guarding him?  He executed a gorgeous swooping finger roll against Hawes once but the other times he had difficulty getting by him and resorted to taking long jumpers that clanked. There is no way a slowfooted guy like Hawes should be able to defend Green on the perimeter.  Green should be able to blow by him.  He's just not all that quick.

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 04:18:18 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

After today's game:

Green: 15-33 (46%)
Pierce: 32-90 (36%)

Pierce has taken more yes, but he's also playing significantly more minutes and has a much higher usage rate (29% vs 22%)

Even if you adjusted for all that Pierce would still be a higher volume three point shooter, but it doesn't necessarilly mean he's been a BETTER three point shooter. 

Green has been killing it from the corner.

Bradley hits that corner three, as well, but that doesn't necessarily make him as good as a scorer as Terry or Ray.

You have got to consider the shots they are taking before making a judgement. A future hall of famer will never get as many open looks as Green gets, that's for sure. When the defenders respect your shot, you are contested more often than not and end up missing quite a few.
Saying Green is as good as a shooter as captain is a bit like saying Rondo is the best shooting amongst the guards because he's often left wide open.

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 04:24:47 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I think he's still backing out of the driveway. ;)

He'll have to show improvement on a consistent basis to prove himself worthy of extra minutes.

A lot of good signs there, though.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 05:06:38 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Nothing has changed my opinion of Jeff Green.  He's a starting SF in this league.  He's very good.  He's the 4th best player on this team behind KG, Pierce and Rondo.  In Oklahoma he was forced to play out of position, because of Durant.  In Boston, he's forced to come off the bench, because of Pierce.  It's not an idea situation at all.  The sooner we make a trade the better.  I'm still in favor of starting Pierce at SG, starting Jeff at his natural position and making a big push (using some of our mediocre SG/PF assets) to land another starting big (gortat, Pau, Big Al, Josh Smith... whoever)

Unfortunately, because Jeff's role isn't very well defined and he's not getting the consistent minutes he deserves... people have the wrong impression of what he's capable of.   When a guy gets 16 spot minutes off the bench... what exactly do you expect him to do?  Most players under significant pressure to perform would struggle adjusting to a new team when they are getting 16 sporadic minutes off the bench.

What we've always known about Jeff is that he's more than capable of scoring 15-17 points a night and pulling down 6-7 boards a night.  He did that while he was the 3rd option next to two MAJOR scorers.  His percentages were 45% FG, 35% from three and 77% from the line.  In rare games where Durant sat, Jeff consistently stepped up and scored 20-25. 

What about this season has changed my impression of him?  Nothing.   Take a look at his stats this season:

22 minutes, 9.4 points, 3.1 rebounds 44% FG, 36% from three and 78% from the line.  Project those minutes to the 37 he SHOULD be playing as a starter... and you got a guy who is averaging 16 points and 5 boards... In other words, he's the same consistent player he's always been... just getting less minutes and a smaller role. 

For people who are down on Jeff... what exactly are you expecting?  Do you somehow think he should be doing more than he did in Oklahoma in spite of playing 15 less minutes a night and having less of a role?  Cut him some slack... he's been solid.

We're paying Jeff like a starter.  He's more than capable of being a starter. He'll eventually be a starter.  I'm not reading too much into anyone's performances until after the trade deadline when our roster shakes out.   
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:13:07 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 05:19:35 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
While I'm ranting... I don't get why people are down on Courtney Lee either.  The dude is only getting 5 shots a night.  What exactly is someone supposed to do when he's getting 5 shots a night?  He's shooting 46% and is (until Bradley comes back at least) our best defensive guard.  A lot of that comes down to role.  Terry and Barbosa are both shooting very well.  We have too many interchangeable mediocre guards on this team.  Can't wait until we can start making moves.

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 05:32:29 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
green is impressing me. that corner 3 when he hits it is money.

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 05:46:50 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
While I'm ranting... I don't get why people are down on Courtney Lee either.  The dude is only getting 5 shots a night.  What exactly is someone supposed to do when he's getting 5 shots a night?  He's shooting 46% and is (until Bradley comes back at least) our best defensive guard.  A lot of that comes down to role.  Terry and Barbosa are both shooting very well.  We have too many interchangeable mediocre guards on this team.  Can't wait until we can start making moves.

I dont consider Terry to be mediocre and Barbosa is amazing value considering he's here on the minimum. Barbosa doesn't really add many dollars in a trade either so you lose more than you gain trading him in my opinion. Bradley is also great value on a rookie contract and a heck of a prospect. Very reluctant to trade him.

That leaves Lee.

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 07:03:05 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
As I have been saying all along - give Green minutes and especially minutes with Rondo/Pierce/KG and he will produce.  He has to play much more than Lee and Bass.

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 07:40:55 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Green should play no less than 30 minutes a game.  Keep this guy on the court!

"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Green should play no less than 30 minutes a game.  Keep this guy on the court!

I liked green in the closing unit alot better than bass...he provides more floor spacing for kg/rondo/pierce and has more offensive moves...if he can continue to hit the glass like he did last night, and has the stamina to play 30+minutes I see him getting more playing time with that unit.

offense: Rondo/terry/pierce/Green/KG
defense: Rondo/Bradley/Pierce/Green/KG

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
another solid game for green..

16points on 7-12 shooting....he looks alot more comfortable out there offensively.

also nice to see him getting on the same page with Rondo for alley oops/dunks...

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 10:18:56 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
lets face it. OKC got fleeced.