Author Topic: Source: Derrick Williams' Agent Inquires About Trade Possibility  (Read 5142 times)

Source: Derrick Williams' Agent Inquires About Trade Possibility
« on: December 07, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Derrick Williams' agent, Rob Pelinka, has not formally requested a trade for his client, but he has asked the Minnesota Timberwovles about the possibility of parting ways due to lack of playing time, according to a team source.

The Timberwolves, however, let Pelinka know that they will first wait to see how Williams and Ricky Rubio mesh on the court once Rubio returns from a torn ACL.

"We told him to wait for our team to come together," the source said. "Wait for Derrick to play with Ricky (Rubio). When they played together last year, Williams benefited greatly."

Williams, the No. 2 pick in 2011 NBA Draft, is averaging nine points in just 19.9 minutes per game this season, when he has sat three times because of coach Rick Adelman's decision.

It is most likely that Rubio will return for a home game on Dec. 15 against the Dallas Mavericks.

Doubt the c's would have any interest, but thought it was worth posting . Does anyone else think Sully has more upside than Williams because of his rebounding and BBIQ? or is Williams just not getting enough playing time behind Love?

Re: Source: Derrick Williams' Agent Inquires About Trade Possibility
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Williams was a better college player than Sully, I think.   He was drafted higher and scouts like him more. Athletically he has more potential.  I think Sully is a harder worker and smarter though.   Williams has tons more potential than Sully but I would not count Sully out.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 06:54:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Derrick Williams has more physical and technical talent.

Gotta be concerned about what is between his ears at this point though.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 06:57:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I read where the TWolves wanted to trade a package of Williams, Pekovic and parts and a pick to LA for Gasol. Now, I can see where LA wouldn't want Pekovic since they have Howard but if ever the C's could get in on a three way there where

LA gets Williams, Bass, parts from Minny and a pick from Boston and Minnesota

Minny gets Gasol

Boston gets Pekovic

I would be all for that.

Boston could start Pekovic alongside KG at the 4 with Pierce, Bradley and Rondo and still have Wilcox, Sully, Green, Jet, Lee and Barbosa coming off the bench.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 07:12:09 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I read where the TWolves wanted to trade a package of Williams, Pekovic and parts and a pick to LA for Gasol. Now, I can see where LA wouldn't want Pekovic since they have Howard but if ever the C's could get in on a three way there where

Minny gets Gasol

Boston gets Pekovic

I would be all for that.

Boston could start Pekovic alongside KG at the 4 with Pierce, Bradley and Rondo and still have Wilcox, Sully, Green, Jet, Lee and Barbosa coming off the bench.

I don't think Bass has much value to LA if Derrick Williams was heading there.

Williams would presumably be their quick footed and perimeter orientated power forward. He'd need 30-35 minutes a night. Not much of a role left over for Bass. Not enough to justify his paycheck.

Jeff Green or Courtney Lee or Jason Terry could offer LA more options though though. Green as their new starting SF with Artest off the bench or the other way around. Or Courtney Lee off the bench with Kobe switching to SF. Lee playing a Raja Bell type role. Jason Terry as a super-sub scorer backing up both guard positions.

I think any one of those three would offer LA a lot more depending on what direction they wanted to go with their roster. I don't think Bass adds enough with Derrick Williams there. 

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:25:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Minny gets Gasol

Boston gets Pekovic

I would be all for that.

Williams would presumably be their quick footed and perimeter orientated power forward. He'd need 30-35 minutes a night. Not much of a role left over for Bass. Not enough to justify his paycheck.

Jeff Green or Courtney Lee or Jason Terry could offer LA more options though though. Green as their new starting SF with Artest off the bench or the other way around. Or Courtney Lee off the bench with Kobe switching to SF. Lee playing a Raja Bell type role. Jason Terry as a super-sub scorer backing up both guard positions.

I think any one of those three would offer LA a lot more depending on what direction they wanted to go with their roster. I don't think Bass adds enough with Derrick Williams there.
You see I don't see Williams as a perimeter 4. I see him like Jeff Green as a larger 3. Actually I see a lot of similarities between the two players.

I think LA to win this year would be looking for more of a tough minded mid range 4 like Bass to start alongside Howard, who's game Bass is familiar with. I think Bass would be a much better fit in LA at the 4 than Williams. And the Bass/{Pekovic salaries make the deal work better than the Green deal would.

I also don't see LA wanting Lee for what he brings to the table for the price he is being paid. Let's face it Lee and Green have contracts very few teams would be willing to take on for what they can do.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Minny gets Gasol

Boston gets Pekovic

I would be all for that.

If one of those other three left and Pekovic came back ...

A Pekovic, Garnett and Bass big man rotation would be a nice group. With a fourth big thrown in depending on matchups. Size with Collins. Speed with Wilcox. Or big picture with Sully (developmental playing time).

Barbosa could take over for Terry if necessary. If Lee or Green went, then the other who remains would have to take more of a role backing up the wing but they are both up to that job. 

There is no way Pekovic could play effective individual or team defense against Miami's small ball lineup. He is too slow to defend Bosh or even to play effective defense on a stand still perimeter shooter.

But nobody on Miami's roster could defend Pekovic in the paint either. Too strong. One of the most physically imposing players in the league. Bosh can't cover Pekovic. Neither could Haslem. Or Joel Anthony.

LeBron James is probably their best bet but that would be a very uncomfortable matchup for LeBron and one that he has a lack of experience with (he could get a lot better at it with more opportunities to learn). Dexter Pittman isn't ready for prime time but is their only non-LeBron option.

If Miami were smart, they'd stay small and try to out-gun Boston ... since they have no quality defensive options at their disposal anyway. No point in sacrificing that offensive firepower without more of an increase defensively.

Not sure Spoelstra is that smart though. I think he's much more likely to go big and to try and matchup against Boston.

C: J.Anthony vs Pekovic
PF: Bosh vs Garnett
SF: LeBron vs Pierce
SG: Wade vs Bradley
PG: Chalmers vs Rondo

So Miami would be playing a very weak offensive player at center + two slashers on the wing + playing Bosh at PF alongside two slashers and a non-entity offensively at center leaving little space for him to operate + which would make Chalmers their sole legitimate three point threat. Spacing would be a major problem.

Kevin Garnett can not only hold Bosh down but is capable of outplaying him at PF due to the decrease in Bosh's performance level in that type of lineup configuration. Avery Bradley can hopefully handle Wade. There certainly have been promising signs.

I think Boston has advantages in the paint with their two bigs vs Miami's and with their PG. Miami has advantages on the wing but with their dodgy spacing offensively, I think Boston can handle them well enough to beat Miami in a series.

PF/C: Haslem vs Bass
SF: Battier vs Green
SG: Ray vs Lee
PG: N.Cole vs Terry

I think that bench battle is fairly neutral. Bass and Haslem should cancel one another out. Green and Battier is either neutral or an advantage for Boston if Green gets it together. Terry has a major advantage against Norris Cole. I think Lee can defend Ray well and minimize Ray's advantage there.

I think Miami would have a terrible time with that. I think Boston would be the strong favourite in that situation.

If Miami stayed small, I'd think Miami's chances would be much better.

C: Bosh vs Garnett
PF: LeBron vs Pekovic (with Pierce defending Bron)
SF: Battier vs Pierce (with Pek defending Battier)

I think both teams would rack up a huge number of points. Neither side would be able to defend their other effectively.

In that type of a scenario, I'd give Miami a slight edge just because they have the best player in the league in LeBron James and because of their three point shooting.

That said, Boston would still have a pretty decent chance, it would be a really close series and I think the deciding factor could be how much Avery Bradley can slow down D-Wade.

I don't think Miami could win trying to matchup against Boston's bigger more physical lineup.

They just don't have that sort of option on the bench amongst their backup big men.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:40:38 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Minny gets Gasol

Boston gets Pekovic

I would be all for that.

You see I don't see Williams as a perimeter 4. I see him like Jeff Green as a larger 3. Actually I see a lot of similarities between the two players.

I think LA to win this year would be looking for more of a tough minded mid range 4 like Bass to start alongside Howard, who's game Bass is familiar with. I think Bass would be a much better fit in LA at the 4 than Williams. And the Bass/{Pekovic salaries make the deal work better than the Green deal would.

I also don't see LA wanting Lee for what he brings to the table for the price he is being paid. Let's face it Lee and Green have contracts very few teams would be willing to take on for what they can do.

I agree with a lot of this.  I think over the course of the next few years though, Williams will be a more viable 4 than Jeff Green.  That is pure hunch.

I think they'd prefer Bass in large part because for all the potential Williams has to fill, it is still largely unknown what he can do getting major minutes for a contender and in the playoffs.  With Bass, they know what they're getting and they are also getting a player who has done very well alongside Howard in the past.  I think the Lakers would love to have Brandon Bass.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I was hopeful of Derrick Williams being able to handle the three when he came into the NBA but he has looked completely lost on both ends of the court whenever I have seen him play there. No idea how to play effective perimeter defense or how to play to his strengths offensively.

I thought Derrick Williams could become a Paul Pierce type weapon at the three. That he had enough quickness to defend the position and that he could use his size/strength to cause major matchup problems in the low to mid post areas and had a legitimate three point shot to boot. That he could become a Pierce-like scorer as a power three.

But after seeing how lost Williams is at the three for Minnesota, I don't think that is going to happen so I would be looking at him now as a power forward. He has been a lot more comfortable there. He better understands where his scoring opportunities are coming from and he plays better defense there.

I think his future in the NBA will be as an undersized quick PF.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I was hopeful of Derrick Williams being able to handle the three when he came into the NBA but he has looked completely lost on both ends of the court whenever I have seen him play there. No idea how to play effective perimeter defense or how to play to his strengths offensively.

I thought Derrick Williams could become a Paul Pierce type weapon at the three. That he had enough quickness to defend the position and that he could use his size/strength to cause major matchup problems in the low to mid post areas and had a legitimate three point shot to boot. That he could become a Pierce-like scorer as a power three.

But after seeing how lost Williams is at the three for Minnesota, I don't think that is going to happen so I would be looking at him now as a power forward. He has been a lot more comfortable there. He better understands where his scoring opportunities are coming from and he plays better defense there.

I think his future in the NBA is pretty dismal actually. He's not a 4 and he just doesn't have the skill set to be a starting three. He's a tweener in every sense of the word and will probably have an off the bench career which will end sometime before he is 30.

Just one man's opinion. Never thought that much of him really.

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 07:51:26 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I think both teams would rack up a huge number of points. Neither side would be able to defend their other effectively.

In that type of a scenario, I'd give Miami a slight edge just because they have the best player in the league in LeBron James and because of their three point shooting.

That said, Boston would still have a pretty decent chance, it would be a really close series and I think the deciding factor could be how much Avery Bradley can slow down D-Wade.

I don't think Miami could win trying to matchup against Boston's bigger more physical lineup.

They just don't have that sort of option on the bench amongst their backup big men.

I can't see Lebron guarding Pekovic.  Not that I don't think this would make the most sense, I just don't think he'd be willing to do it.  I think he'd force Battier or Bosh to.  Maybe get Bosh on Pekovic and Battier on KG.  Lebron has come a long way, but I don't think he's at the point yet where he'd willingly guard a center as big as Pek for an entire series.  Wasn't he complaining about playing some center as recently as this past postseason?

Also, if Lebron is guarding Pekovic, the risk of him getting in foul trouble increases a ton (no matter what you may think of the favorable officiating he receives).
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Minny gets Gasol

Boston gets Pekovic

I would be all for that.

I think Courtney Lee is fairly paid. I don't think anyone will mind taking on that contract. I think Jason Terry is seen as great value (at least right now, this season) at his pay-level.

Jeff Green is a guy who I agree his contract could be seen as an albatross. I think some GMs still rate him very highly and would be willing to take a chance on him but that many others will be extremely wary of Green due to his health issues / contract. I think his value will vary from one extreme to the other. Just depends on where that individual GM is at. So Green could be a guy LA (or another team) like at his pay level, or, a guy who they won't touch with a 10 foot barge pole with that contract.

That is why I would say Green or Lee or Terry. Cause they might want no part of Green.

I think Jeff Green (SF) with his quickness and athleticism along with Derrick Williams (PF) would give that starting lineup a major shakeup and give LA a much better chance of fulfilling coach D'Antoni's instructions offensively. I actually think that is something they should consider strongly. Two long term starters in place for the post Kobe era alongside Dwight too.

My guess is LA wouldn't want to take a risk on Green since they reportedly don't want to take a risk on Derrick Williams either. I think they'll be looking for sure things and neither guy is that.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I can't see Lebron guarding Pekovic.  Not that I don't think this would make the most sense, I just don't think he'd be willing to do it.  I think he'd force Battier or Bosh to.  Maybe get Bosh on Pekovic and Battier on KG.  Lebron has come a long way, but I don't think he's at the point yet where he'd willingly guard a center as big as Pek for an entire series.  Wasn't he complaining about playing some center as recently as this past postseason?

Also, if Lebron is guarding Pekovic, the risk of him getting in foul trouble increases a ton (no matter what you may think of the favorable officiating he receives).

Oh yeah, LeBron would hate it. He'd be disgusted at having to do it.

It would need a strong coach to put him in that situation and to convince him that he needs to keep doing so for the good of the team. Not sure Spoelstra is strong enough to do that. In spot situations, probably. But for a whole series? With LeBron getting the crap beaten out of him and desperately wanting out of that matchup? I don't think Spoelstra has that in him.

So yeah, I agree, I don't think it would happen. I do think it's Miami best option though.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 08:00:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I think his future in the NBA is pretty dismal actually. He's not a 4 and he just doesn't have the skill set to be a starting three. He's a tweener in every sense of the word and will probably have an off the bench career which will end sometime before he is 30.

Al Harrington type? Or even worse?

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Al Harrington type? Or even worse?
I think he would be lucky to ever reach the level of play of Al Harrington.

I was thinking more like Hakim Warrick