Author Topic: Obama Meets With Al Sharpton on Taxes  (Read 1759 times)

Obama Meets With Al Sharpton on Taxes
« on: December 07, 2012, 09:49:10 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 559
  • Historical Draft Best Overall/Best Defensive team
Obama spoke with several influential progressives about taxes and preventing tax hikes on the middle class.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/04/obama-rachel-maddow-al-sharpton_n_2240011.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Just kind of ironic I think that Sharpton was one of those included in the discussion seeing as how as of Dcember 2011 he owed $2.6 million to the federal government in income taxes and over $900K in NY state income taxes. 
Indiana CB Draft, Kevin Durant, Deron Williams, Luis Scola, Robin Lopez, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Jeff Taylor, Andrew Nicholson, Shaun Livingston, Markieff Morris, Michael Beasley

Re: Obama Meets With Al Sharpton on Taxes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 352
Obama spoke with several influential progressives about taxes and preventing tax hikes on the middle class.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/04/obama-rachel-maddow-al-sharpton_n_2240011.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Just kind of ironic I think that Sharpton was one of those included in the discussion seeing as how as of Dcember 2011 he owed $2.6 million to the federal government in income taxes and over $900K in NY state income taxes.

He'd make a great treasury secretary.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1941
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I can't stands Al Sharpton. Not one single iddy biddy little bit.

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK
Free Agency Tracker: Link

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 09:58:55 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey

It sounded like a pretty well rounded group, Obama, Maddow, Sharpton, Schultz.  Im sure there were alot of ideas from differing viewpoints flying around in that meeting
Indiana CB Draft, Kevin Durant, Deron Williams, Luis Scola, Robin Lopez, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Jeff Taylor, Andrew Nicholson, Shaun Livingston, Markieff Morris, Michael Beasley

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:04:56 AM »

Online foulweatherfan

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1507

It sounded like a pretty well rounded group, Obama, Maddow, Sharpton, Schultz.  Im sure there were alot of ideas from differing viewpoints flying around in that meeting

My guess is the conversation was more about promoting policy than making it.  Obama's been trying to create public pressure on the Republicans to fall in line with his fiscal cliff plan.

Either way I don't like it a bit.  Didn't like it when Bush met with Hannity, Ingraham, and other RW pundits, don't like it now.  Journalists and politicians should have an adversarial relationship, not a cozy one.  Another side effect of the rise of partisan media, I suppose.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 10:11:19 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 2003

My guess is the conversation was more about promoting policy than making it.  Obama's been trying to create public pressure on the Republicans to fall in line with his fiscal cliff plan.

Either way I don't like it a bit.  Didn't like it when Bush met with Hannity, Ingraham, and other RW pundits, don't like it now.  Journalists and politicians should have an adversarial relationship, not a cozy one.  Another side effect of the rise of partisan media, I suppose.
Agree with fwf here. I thought the meeting ridiculous.

I also think Fox lambasting the President for this just as ridiculous since they did the same thing with Bush.

Either way, the President should leave the media to report the news, not promote his policies. Sadly, that doesn't happen and won't be changing anytime soon.
2015 CB HISTORICAL DRAFT: COMING THIS OCTOBER
FORMAT:
3 players from 1960-73
3 players from 1974-86
3 players from 1987-00
3 players from 2001-Pres
1 player from any era

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 248

It completely eludes me how Sharpton can have any credibility with anyone after Tawana Brawley or why anyone would want to be associated with him.

I did like him in Mr. Deeds, though.

"For goodness sake, let them eat cake."

The guy's a clown.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:33:00 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 11:44:15 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 114
One of the greatest transformations in American Politics. Al Sharpton was a sweatsuit wearing outcast at one point, now he is lunching with presidents.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 11:46:15 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 221
This is a fake controversy. Obama has an agenda, he met with people who can help him push it. Dog bites man.

I don't find anything wrong with it whatsoever, and that also goes for Bush. People like Hannity (and Sharpton) are not journalists, either. Real journalists would be insulted by the comparison.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
This is a fake controversy. Obama has an agenda, he met with people who can help him push it. Dog bites man.

I don't find anything wrong with it whatsoever, and that also goes for Bush. People like Hannity (and Sharpton) are not journalists, either. Real journalists would be insulted by the comparison.

Fake controversy for people who choose to turn a blind eye to the presidents inviting criminals into the white house

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 12:17:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1941
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Fake controversy for people who choose to turn a blind eye to the presidents inviting criminals into the white house

Dick Chaney was there all the time, and he shot a guy in the face, cuz he didn't like the way the guy kept referring soda as 'pop'.

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK
Free Agency Tracker: Link

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 12:18:47 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey

Dick Chaney was there all the time, and he shot a guy in the face, cuz he didn't like the way the guy kept referring soda as 'pop'.

But he wasn't invited, he just kept showing up

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I guess that this is supposed to be a sick burn or something, but I'm being completely serious when I say that I don't even care about this stuff. I don't subscribe to any of the "guilt by association" baloney that seems to be a go-to favorite argument of some conservatives. Obama can call Bill Ayers on the phone and wish him a Merry Christmas, this won't result in my suspecting that he's a secret left-wing terrorist.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 01:07:03 PM »

Online foulweatherfan

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1507
I guess that this is supposed to be a sick burn or something, but I'm being completely serious when I say that I don't even care about this stuff. I don't subscribe to any of the "guilt by association" baloney that seems to be a go-to favorite argument of some conservatives. Obama can call Bill Ayers on the phone and wish him a Merry Christmas, this won't result in my suspecting that he's a secret left-wing terrorist.

What if he wished him...H**** H******s?  (ominous violin sting)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:15:01 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
What if he wished him...Happy Holidays?  (ominous violin sting)
Whoa, dude. Whoa. There are children who visit this website.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog