Author Topic: The media considers Kobe better than Larry and Magic  (Read 6304 times)

The media considers Kobe better than Larry and Magic
« on: December 06, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
All these people keep mentioning how Kobe is "right up there" with Michael. They're wrong. Kobe is a great player and a top 10 player all time (not top 5), but he simply is not better thank Larry and Magic.
Magic came out and said Kobe is the best Laker of all time (do you really believe that Magic or are you just trying to appear humble?). Im not making this thread to bash Kobe because I dont even dislike the guy. Its just annoying how they bypass the two greats who were without a doubt more complete, and all around better players than Kobe is.

anyways for the record, here is my top 10

1. MJ
2. Russell
3. Wilt
4a. Bird
4b. Magic
6. Kareem
7. Kobe
8. Olajuwon
9. Shaq
10. Oscar Robertson

Re: The media considers Kobe better than Larry and Magic
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 05:30:51 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'm not really convinced he's even better than Dr. J.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 05:35:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he has the BIGGEST head ever in the NBA

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:38:58 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Kobe is top 15. I don't even have him over SHAQ. Shaq was a more dominate player than kobe and he was the man on those lakers teams.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 05:47:08 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't see why he'd be seen as having a better career than Duncan or Garnett. I'd also say that, while he's had a much longer career, he's not a better player than LeBron especially at the same stage of his career.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 05:52:11 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm glad yet shocked to see most of you not buying into the kobe hype. Hes great but once you try to put him top 3 or top 5 or *gasp* the greatest to ever play the game, he quickly becomes one of the most overrated players of all time.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:12:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Currently, the ELO rankings at b-r.com have Bryant at 276th, behind players such as Metta World Peace and Rony Seikaly.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 01:01:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Off the top of my head, I'd say he's one of the very best players to have spent their entire careers on one team.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 01:26:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Based on superficial numbers, the media has a great case. but I dont think its as strong as the numbers might suggest.

Kobe is difficult to gauge. despite his MVP and 5 titles and memorable performances and scorig acumen, Kobe still played with Shaq, when Shaq was the best player in the NBA. Never was Bird, Magic, or MJ the second best player on their own team.

But it's not like they did it alone either. We all know Larry's supporting all-star casts, but MJ had Pippen and Rodman for 3 titles, Magic had what, 3 other HOFers for 3 of his titles?

But none of them had a player who was as dominant as Shaq. And, in an expanded league. I don't think it's wrong to say Kobe is in Magic and Larry's class, but to say with certainty that he's better, erroneous.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 01:46:45 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Based on superficial numbers, the media has a great case. but I dont think its as strong as the numbers might suggest.

Kobe is difficult to gauge. despite his MVP and 5 titles and memorable performances and scorig acumen, Kobe still played with Shaq, when Shaq was the best player in the NBA. Never was Bird, Magic, or MJ the second best player on their own team.

But it's not like they did it alone either. We all know Larry's supporting all-star casts, but MJ had Pippen and Rodman for 3 titles, Magic had what, 3 other HOFers for 3 of his titles?

But none of them had a player who was as dominant as Shaq. And, in an expanded league. I don't think it's wrong to say Kobe is in Magic and Larry's class, but to say with certainty that he's better, erroneous.

people forget how dominant shaq was. his play alone made all those rule changes.

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 02:49:21 AM »

fitzhickey

I don't see how you can have Kobe over Hakeem. Hakeem, while fasting for Ramadan, destroyed David Robinson, reigning MVP, and Robinson said it was the best game he had ever seen. The dream mentored Kobe. The dream is better, considerably.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 03:26:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not sure if Kobe is even Top 10 for me, to be honest.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 04:13:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
funny seeing what Celtics fans say about one of the greatest Lakers of all time.
Someone suggested he's not as good as Dr J?
lawl. Green glasses.

Without Kobe, Shaq's not beating the Kings or Garnetts T wolves or those Spurs teams. It's a two way street. I doubt Jordan is winning many rings without Pippen.

Kobe will go down as one of the GOAT's.
He's amazing even if he is a POS Laker scumbag.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 04:22:49 AM »

fitzhickey

I'm not sure if Kobe is even Top 10 for me, to be honest.
Agree; mine is
MJ
Bill
Wilt
4a bird
B magic
Hakeem
Kareem
Oscar rob
Shaq
Tim Duncan
11th Kobe

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 04:27:59 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'd say it's pretty wrong to say Kobe was in Bird and Magic's class. Did you watch the 80s? The main reason Bird didn't win 4 straight MVPs was the voters got tired of giving it to him. People spent much of his prime discussing whether he was the best ever, something *nobody* was saying about Kobe (outside of LA at least). And it's not just homerism, Magic was in Bird's class, Kobe's just as far from that level.