Author Topic: Rondo is the best shooter (guards) in the league.  (Read 1198 times)

Rondo is the best shooter (guards) in the league.
« on: December 08, 2012, 01:06:19 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
As of yesterday: NBA shooting leaders, guards:

1.) Rondo (.506)
2.) Ray Allen (.500)
3.) Eric Bledsoe (.496)
4.) Wade (.488)
5.) JET (.483)

I knew Rondo was shooting the ball well, but not this well. Hats off to him. Also very impressed to see another Celtic on this list. Danny did a great job grabbing JET for the price that he did. .500 compared to .483 is nothing.

I personally believe rondo has potential to be the MVP easily. He has developed a deadly mid-range jumpshot to his repertoire.

Re: Rondo is the best shooter (guards) in the league.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 01:42:12 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I think the JET one is just as impressive....Rondo gets a lot of layups.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 01:51:33 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
I think the JET one is just as impressive....Rondo gets a lot of layups.
-82games
    Jump % - Percentage of players total field goal attempts that are jumpshots

Efg% Effective Field Goal Percentage; the formula is (FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA. This statistic adjusts for the fact that a 3-point field goal is worth one more point than a 2-point field goal. For example, suppose Player A goes 4 for 10 with 2 threes, while Player B goes 5 for 10 with 0 threes. Each player would have 10 points from field goals, and thus would have the same effective field goal percentage (50%).

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 01:57:04 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I was actually going to put up some stats for this the other day, just to get a feel for how everybody on the team is shooting from different spots on the floor.

Here goes:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:34:00 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 02:03:19 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I was actually going to put up some stats for this the other day, just to get a feel for how everybody on the team is shooting from different spots on the floor.

Here goes!

Player     | Inside | Close | Mid | Corner 3 | Above Brk 3
---------------------------------------------------------
R Rondo    |   60%  |  45%  | 52% |    33%   |     26%
J Terry    |   59%  |  50%  | 55% |    39%   |     38%
P Piece    |   56%  |  24%  | 41% |    11%   |     38%
B Bass     |   55%  |  32%  | 44% |    n/a   |     n/a
K Garnett  |   71%  |  46%  | 49% |    n/a   |     0%
L Barbosa  |   51%  |  56%  | 25% |    40%   |     43%
C Lee      |   50%  |  67%  | 53% |    33%   |     11%
J Green    |   58%  |  21%  | 42% |    50%   |     0%
J Sullinger|   63%  |  40%  | 37% |    n/a   |     100%
C Wilcox   |   75%  |  75%  | 0%  |    n/a   |     n/a
J Collins  |   25%  |  n/a  | n/a |    n/a   |     n/a

While I'm at it, may as well chuck in some other advanced statistics as well:

Player     | OREB%| DREB% | REB% | AST%  |TORatio| TS%
--------------------------------------------------------
R Rondo    | 2.3% | 12.9% | 7.7% | 54.5% | 12.03 | 54.5%
J Terry    | 0.4% | 7.6%  | 4.1% | 11.9% | 9.27  | 60.1%
P Piece    | 1.0% | 17.5% | 9.7  | 16.1% | 11.08 | 54.7%
B Bass     | 8.4% | 16.2% | 12.4%| 4.9%  | 8.18  | 50.3%
K Garnett  | 4.4% | 25.9% | 15.7%| 13.0% | 10.25 | 57.8%
L Barbosa  | 0.5% |  8.1% | 4.3% | 19.8% | 7.35  | 53.4%
C Lee      | 2.2% |  8.9% | 5.8% | 9.1%  | 16.41 | 50.8%
J Green    | 3.3% | 13.1% | 8.4% | 6.1%  | 13.63 | 52.7%
J Sullinger| 10.5%| 21.1% | 15.9%| 5.2%  | 10.59 | 55.3%
C Wilcox   | 7.0% | 12.8% | 10.1%| 3.2%  | 15.91 | 72.5%
J Collins  | 10.0%| 13.9% | 10.8%| 0%    | 47.39 | 22.5%

Just thought I'd chuck these up here for anyone who may be interested. 

lol @ Collins' Turnover Ratio and True Shooting %!  ;D

So what this tells me is that terry should be getting a couple more of pierce's shots...

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 02:13:51 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Scoring at a high % is not the same as being a good shooter. Is D howard a better shooter than Durant because he shoots a better %?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 02:32:27 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
For curiosity, lets take a look at ALL shots taken outside of the paint as well as ALL shots taken inside the paint.  This could help to tell us who have been out best inside and outside scorers so far:

Between these stats and the previous ones I posted, a few things I find interesting...

1. Barbosa has been a better back-up PG than many of us realise.  He is second on the team in Asst% and his TORatio is the beston the lowest on the team.  I don't have access to the formula to calculate pure point ratio, but Barbosa's is probably pretty solid right now.   

2. Jeff Green has been shooting better than Paul Pierce both from Outside the paint AND inside the paint.  I've been criticising the idea of Green starting over Pierce, but maybe it's not such a long shot.  At the very least Pierce's minutes should go down (around 28, on par with KG) and Green should get those extra 5 minutes or so.  Not only would this allow Pierce to be better rested (and hopefully get his percentages up) but would also give Green more opportunity to get involved in the game.

3. Rondo has taken as many outside shots as Terry, yet he has shot at the same overall percentage.  This is skewed by the facts that (a) Terry takes more three point shots and (b) Rondo's jumpers are usually wide open, but still it's proof that Rondo's jump shot has improved dramatically.  In fact I'm guessing that his 52% shooting from midrange is probably one of the best in the league right now among PG's. 

4. Our most productive scorer this season has actually been KG.  Despite taking more overall shot attempts than anybody else on the team, he's ranked first in FG% outside the paint and second in FG% inside the paint.  Right now when we get desperate for points, we should be chucking the ball in to KG.  Factor in KG's dominant defnse along with his intangibles and you can understand why we suck so badly when he steps off the floor.

5. Whenever Wilcox gets catches the ball from anywhere within the paint he is practically automatic - he is connecting on 75% of his field goal attempts inside the paint.  Many people will argue that this is just an early season anomoly due to the small sample size, but he actually shot 53-87 (61%) from inside the paint last season.  75% might be exhagerated, but Wilcox is a seriously capable finisher around the basket. 

6. At 20 years of age (and with only ~20 games of NBA expeience) Sullinger is already the best rebounder on our team.

7. Jason Terry has arguably been our most efficient shooter so far.  KG has actually scored at a higher percentage, but Terry's TS% (factoring for three point attempts) has been slightly higher.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:47:28 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 02:34:38 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Scoring at a high % is not the same as being a good shooter. Is D howard a better shooter than Durant because he shoots a better %?

If Howard shot a significant number of midrange jumpers and shot them at a better percentange than Durant, then I would say it's safe to argue that Howard is a better midrange shoooter.

In reality Durant has taken 98 midrange shot attempts @ 44% accuracy, while Howard has taken 12 midrange shots @ 8% accuracy. Clearly Durant is a better midrange shooter, though not a spectacular one.

Garnett has taken 115 midrange jumpers @ 49% accuracy.  I think it's safe to conclude that KG is a better midrange shooter than Durant so far this season.

On the other hand Howard has taken 162 attempts from inside the restricted area which he has connected @ 69% accuracy. Durant has taken 99 ****s from this area and connected @ 64% accuracy.  I think it's safe to say that Dwight Howard is a better scorer than Durant from inside the restricted area.

Now Terry has shot 61-139 (44%) from outside the paint - that includes midrange and all three point attempts.

Pierce has shot 66-173 (38%) on shots from those same locations.  I think it's safe to say that Terry has been a better shooter better than Pierce so far this season.

I think he's talking about the poor title to the thread, dude.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 02:43:05 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yeah, Im saying a guy who pads his shooting % with layups and has failed to show a consistent jumper, he is an efficient scorer, but not necessarily a top tier shooter.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 03:18:16 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Oh, well you're right about that - I've edited out that part of my post, as I misunderstood! :)

That said I may have to disagree with the "failed to show a consistent jumper" part.  20 or so games into the season he is second on the team in FG% on shots taken outside of the paint - his jump shot right now is very good, though he still lacks consistent 3 point range.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:51:18 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 05:26:23 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
as far as 3pters, rondo has his highest 3pt% of his career, and he is taking the shot more than ever. (currently about once per game... not that often but it is better than d wade once every 10 games)