2 (4.8%)
Jared Sullinger by a little
7 (16.7%)
They will both be about the same
4 (9.5%)
Neither will be playing four years from now due to the Mayan apocalypse
5 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Who will be better four years from now: Avery Bradley or Jared Sullinger?  (Read 7624 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
There are a lot of trade ideas out there and a lot of posts about trades boil down to how much posters value Bradley and/or Sullinger.

So, this is a question about upside.  Not who is better now.  Not who has more trade value.  Who is going to be the better player four years from now?  Who will have a better 2016-2017?

I think that Bradley has more potential and is the more likely player to be a borderline All-Star player four years from now.  (To be clear, I am not saying that he is more likely to be a borderline All-Star than not, just that he is more likely than Sullinger.)  I am pretty sure other people disagree with that statement.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Who will be better four years from now: Avery Bradley or Jared Sullinger?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:27:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd say Avery, just because he has one elite NBA-level skill.  He's got a nice skill set offensively, but his defense will keep getting him minutes to hone his other skills.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:28:40 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I have a problem answering this because they don't even play the same position. How are we supposed to compare them?

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Wow, good question. I vote for Sully.

I'm really high on Sullinger as I think he can become double-double threat every night. If he can drop some weight, only injury will hold him back imo.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Bradley by a lot. His defense is already elite. His cutting is very good, outside shot solid, handle improved.

Both are undersized at their position. But Bradley has elite athleticism to help offset his height.

4 years from now I expect Bradley to be just below all star level.

Sullinger's ceiling is probably a below average starter, or good 7th man bench player. That is great for a big picked in the 20's.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 05:10:48 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Bradley by a lot. His defense is already elite. His cutting is very good, outside shot solid, handle improved.

Both are undersized at their position. But Bradley has elite athleticism to help offset his height.

4 years from now I expect Bradley to be just below all star level.

Sullinger's ceiling is probably a below average starter, or good 7th man bench player. That is great for a big picked in the 20's.

Not saying I think Sully will be an all-star  but I think you are undervaluing his ceiling.  The guy is 20 with 1 month in the league and is almost already at the level you say is his ceiling.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Good question im not sure. The reason id rather trade sully over ab tho is because i think AB can help us the most NOW. As far as four years from now.......could go either way but ill say AB. Simply because hes elite at something already and his defense will keep him on the floor if all else fails.

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
I voted the last option  :P

Seriously, I think Bradley will have a slight advantage because I think Sullinger will have more of an injury plagued career. But who knows? They both can have heart problems in a couple of years (shout out to Wilcox and Green)
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I imagine Sullinger growing up to be David Lee and I imagine Bradley growing up to be a short Doug Christie.

So about even, but they really are apples and oranges. I think both will, in their primes, be clear starters on good teams. I think Sullinger will make more money. Sullinger has the better shot at building a statistical all-star resume (i.e. offense+rebounds).

Over/unders:

1.5 all-star games between the two of them?
2.5 2nd-team all-defense for AB?
3.5 seasons averaging a double-double for JS?

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Bradley will likey get hurt and fall off because of his intensity , it may be his demise , I hope not. I love Bradley , next to KG he is my favorite Celtic.

Sully , is built like a truck.   He plays steady eddie , low stress ball,  and he is smart .   He just bounces off people and they off him.  NOT jumping will save his knees.  He should be around forever.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I have a problem answering this because they don't even play the same position. How are we supposed to compare them?

The same way you would make a comparison if you were asked who was better, Rajon Rondo or guy-playing-a-completely-different-position Brandon Bass.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 06:04:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Over/unders:

I think it is a no-brainer to take the under on the first and the last.  Probably wise to take the under on the middle one as well.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Over/unders:

I think it is a no-brainer to take the under on the first and the last.  Probably wise to take the under on the middle one as well.

I'd say under-over-under.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
The same way you would make a comparison if you were asked who was better, Rajon Rondo or guy-playing-a-completely-different-position Brandon Bass.
In that case I say AB, but only by a little.

The thing I like about the both of them is that their best skills don't rely on something that's going to seriously deteriorate with age. But I have to concede the argument that AB's best skill is elite-level, while Sully is just a good basketball player, and that edges the matchup for me.

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'd say Avery, just because he has one elite NBA-level skill.  He's got a nice skill set offensively, but his defense will keep getting him minutes to hone his other skills.
What makes his offensive skill set nice?  He's athletic enough to finish at the rim and occasionally beat his man without the ball, but there's tons of D-Leaguers that can do that.  On top of being undersized, his range and FT shooting has been questioned since college.  Can you name many undersized guards that don't either have a great handle or shoot 3s at a high clip?  He doesn't even have one area that he excels at (like Tony Allen in transition) he's just a well-rounded player with very average skills.  He also has shown his favorite/most comfortable move is pulling up for the ~20 foot jump off the dribble (the least efficient shot in basketball).

That doesn't mean his speed/athleticism can't allow him to become an average or above average offensive player.  Just if he does it won't be because he got himself there with his own skillset.  It'll be great creators like Pierce and Rondo drawing defenders and finding him in the right place at the right time.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale