Author Topic: If you're the Lakers, what would you trade Gasol for?  (Read 6183 times)

Re: If you're the Lakers, what would you trade Gasol for?
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 07:42:55 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Apparently they have received enquiries from Toronto and Minnesota.

Toronto are apparently offering a package of:

Bargnani, Calderon, Linas Kleiza

Minnesota:

Pekovic, Derrick Williams, Filler

So we can stop this ridiculous over-offering for gasol now. His perceived value from those in the know isnt that high.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If I were the Lakers, I would wonder if some form of Gasol and Blake to Utah for Millsap, Raja Bell, and Mo Williams would make sense, and which side would have to throw in additional assets to make it work.  It may require the Jazz to trade Al Jefferson for other useful stuff, first.

I don't think Pau Gasol has much value to Utah. They have two blue chip prospects in Favors and Kanter who need more minutes. Bringing in a 32 year old to start ahead of him is more a problem than a solution. Then there is Big Al.

I don't think Utah is a good trading partner for LA.

Maybe in a three team deal. They do have some pieces to offer and needs to fill.

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 08:12:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
So we can stop this ridiculous over-offering for gasol now. His perceived value from those in the know isnt that high.

It's unlikely that Toronto and Minnesota are offering the maximum they are willing to give up.  Those are probably lowball offers to see how much the Lakers are demanding.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 08:16:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Yeah, I do think that Pau Gasol's trade value has been tanking over the last few months. LA has hung onto Pau for too long. Shot themselves in the foot, trade value wise.

I think they are looking at a player who is a top 6-12 level talent at their respective position (just outside to well outside All-Star caliber talent) in exchange for Pau Gasol (who I still rate as a top 3 center). Plus, if they are lucky, maybe LA can nab mid-level type asset in addition to that lower tier star.

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 08:16:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If I were the Lakers, I would wonder if some form of Gasol and Blake to Utah for Millsap, Raja Bell, and Mo Williams would make sense, and which side would have to throw in additional assets to make it work.  It may require the Jazz to trade Al Jefferson for other useful stuff, first.

I don't think Pau Gasol has much value to Utah. They have two blue chip prospects in Favors and Kanter who need more minutes. Bringing in a 32 year old to start ahead of him is more a problem than a solution. Then there is Big Al.

Well, I did suggest Utah may need to trade Jefferson first.  If Utah could overhaul their roster so that the net is trading out Millsap and Jefferson for Gasol and some potential long-term solutions at the guard spots, that would make sense.  Utah seems to think it can be a player for a max free agent next summer, but perhaps trading for All-Star caliber players is a better idea.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Amare Stoudemire -- after he gets back onto the court and shows he's healthy.

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Amare Stoudemire -- after he gets back onto the court and shows he's healthy.

Sideways move.

The Lakers need depth as much as they need a better fit at PF. 

Amare would have the same problem on the Lakers that he has on the Knicks -- he's at his best when he plays center.  Always has been.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Minnesota:

On the contrary, I think people are low-balling the Lakers big time right now because they are hoping the Lakers will be desperate enough to take that kind of offer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2012, 11:47:50 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Minnesota:

I don't think either one of those offers are particularly low-ball. Especially the Minnesota one.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner