Author Topic: If you're the Lakers, what would you trade Gasol for?  (Read 6187 times)

Re: If you're the Lakers, what would you trade Gasol for?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Step one: Luol Deng + Taj Gibson for Pau Gasol

Step two: Fire Mike D'Antoni and hire a defensive minded coach

Can't see Chicago doing that - not enough quality on the wing to send out Deng without getting a good wing in return.
Plus without Deng who will Thibs play for 47 minutes a game?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7rjyw44

Kind of a lateral move for LA, but I think Chicago would be much improved with Pau instead of Boozer.  It would give Chicago a second legitimate offensive go-to player.  It would also increase the height in the front court for Chicago which is something that could cause problems for their 2 main playoff competitors in the East (Miami and Boston).  Losing Deng to guard Lebron and Pierce hurts, but MWP isn't a scrub and I think the upgrade in the frontcourt is worth it.

I don't think Chicago will be in position to win it all this year with Rose presumably not 100% and their uninspired offseason efforts.  But they will be able to focus on strengthening the SG and backup SF position this offseason to put them in a much stronger position to contend in 2013-14.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 04:00:52 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

Can't see Chicago doing that - not enough quality on the wing to send out Deng without getting a good wing in return.

Although this trade would be great for LA - I can't see Chicago giving up Deng. He's their second best player. Gasol is 32. So much of their offense goes through Boozer.

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 04:01:56 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
Lakers Trade: Pau Gasol
Pacers Trade: David West, Danny Granger
I think LA would need to sweeten the offer a bit. Maybe a pair of first round picks and throw in Jodie Meeks to help their wing depth.

If Granger weren't injured - I think this would help both teams. But Granger is done for the year - and West and an injured Granger is simply not enough for Gasol. But TP, good idea.

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 04:13:57 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

Plus without Deng who will Thibs play for 47 minutes a game?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7rjyw44

Kind of a lateral move for LA, but I think Chicago would be much improved with Pau instead of Boozer.  It would give Chicago a second legitimate offensive go-to player.  It would also increase the height in the front court for Chicago which is something that could cause problems for their 2 main playoff competitors in the East (Miami and Boston).  Losing Deng to guard Lebron and Pierce hurts, but MWP isn't a scrub and I think the upgrade in the frontcourt is worth it.

I don't think Chicago will be in position to win it all this year with Rose presumably not 100% and their uninspired offseason efforts.  But they will be able to focus on strengthening the SG and backup SF position this offseason to put them in a much stronger position to contend in 2013-14.

I just think Deng is the best player in the trade. Given the dominance of Miami, I'm not sure I'm on board with this for Chicago.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
A new clean pair of big boy pants?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
If I'm the Lakers and D'Antoni's going to be my coach for the foreseeable future, I need some speed and shooting around Nash/Kobe/Dwight.  But I'm also looking at that sweet SF free agent crop in 2014 and wanting to keep my cap space open.

The best package that fits those criteria that I can come up with is Pau to Minny for AK-47, Ridnour and Cunningham. I get the ideal D'Antoni 4 in AK-47 (a hybrid of Diaw and Marion), a solid back-up for Nash with good shooting range and a decent back-up forward with a solid mid-range J.

The Minnesota side is a bit more problematic, but they get the guy they want in Pau and they'd still have the assets (Williams, Pekovic) to do something about their wing situation.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Lakers Trade: Pau Gasol
Pacers Trade: David West, Danny Granger
I think LA would need to sweeten the offer a bit. Maybe a pair of first round picks and throw in Jodie Meeks to help their wing depth.

If Granger weren't injured - I think this would help both teams. But Granger is done for the year - and West and an injured Granger is simply not enough for Gasol. But TP, good idea.

Granger's out for a couple months, not the year.  It's actually an overpay for Gasol.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
A couple of young prospects and #1 pick. In about 2 years Nash and Kobe will be gone and they will need to be in rebuild around Howard mode. Unless you can get someone who will guarantee you a legitimate shot a championship this and next year its the only play that makes sense. I am not sure there is that person around. LA is just not that good that one player is going to make the difference.

That may also be the recipe for ensuring that Howard leaves after this year.  I would guess he wouldn't stay if the Lakers look like rebuilders. 

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
What about Boston? 

Gasol or Varejavo?

Now that is a good question.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:00:27 PM by ThaPreacher »
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Houston will give up anything to get their hands on gasol. Dunno what assets they have but I could also see smith going from ATL. Wolves do have a lot of pieces.
Who knows but it will be fun to watch.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 06:43:15 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Houston will give up anything to get their hands on gasol. Dunno what assets they have but I could also see smith going from ATL. Wolves do have a lot of pieces.
Who knows but it will be fun to watch.

Houston would have before.  I forget where, but I read recently that they are no longer in the market for him.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd try to swing a trade that netted me Bargnani (perfect fit next to Dwight) and some other complimentary pieces (mobile, versatile players who can shoot).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Atlanta for Josh Smith
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 06:48:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If I were the Lakers, I would wonder if some form of Gasol and Blake to Utah for Millsap, Raja Bell, and Mo Williams would make sense, and which side would have to throw in additional assets to make it work.  It may require the Jazz to trade Al Jefferson for other useful stuff, first.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
I'd try to swing a trade that netted me Bargnani (perfect fit next to Dwight) and some other complimentary pieces (mobile, versatile players who can shoot).

Good offense with god-awful defense in Bargnani.  Perfect fit for D'antoni's joke of a system.