Author Topic: Is anyone ready to fire Danny.  (Read 8175 times)

Re: Is anyone ready to fire Danny.
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I don't want him fired, and I know I'm in the minority, but I do disagree with retooling and not rebuilding this year.

I would of been okay to suck this year and go for a shot at Nerlens Noel. I realize that is a long shot, but let's face it. This isn't LA or Miami, we are going to have a rough period at some point. Because I really doubt Ainge can pull off a KG like trade again, and even that took us being turrrrible.

Would you have been ok if we didn't win the lottery and still sucked 5 years from now.

Yes, I'm admitting that we/I/Celtics are going to have to suck for a while to get good again. It's just the natural order of things. And since I didn't see us winning it this year(unless lucky injuries happen to other teams) I was ready to start the long and crappy process of rebuilding.

In my opinion it came down to not willing to delay the rebuilding in the hope that other teams have injuries.

There's a lot of "right time, right place" to sucking and rebuilding. rebuilding through sucking means getting a top pick (or picks) when impact players are available in the draft. The spot you get in the draft is based (aside from how the ping pong balls go) by your record the year before, not what you do in the years before that. Getting bad sooner rather than later might not speed up the rebuild, it's just as likely to merely prolong it.

I agree that being bad doesn't automaticly give you a franchise guy, but I was willing to take the chance at landing that player sooner rather than later, than to try and win a title with this team. I think we would of had a much much much better chance at Nerlens Noel(who I think is a franchise guy) than winning a title.

I also would like to note that I find it funny that Ainge criticized Red for keeping the big 3 together, and yet never pulled off a trade involving Ray and let him walk for nothing. And then extended the "Window" by bringing back KG.

Would you have wanted to speed the rebuild in the late 80s if you knew that we wouldn't be real contenders again for 20 years? Do you understand that there's probably as good a chance we'll go another 20 years without drafting a franchise player than there would be that we'd have gotten Noel?

I think putting off rebuilding bc of the fear of not being good again is not a good decision. Not to mention Bias/lewis dieing was kinda big.

I think that giving up a shot at a title because you feel like losing 60 games might get you closer to being good in the unforeseeable future isn't a good decision either.

And that's fine. I just don't have the confidence that you must have that this team has a real shot at winning a title.

Currently constructed I don't think we have any chance to win a title this year unless we get very lucky breaks like last year with other teams injuries.

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't want him fired, and I know I'm in the minority, but I do disagree with retooling and not rebuilding this year.

I would of been okay to suck this year and go for a shot at Nerlens Noel. I realize that is a long shot, but let's face it. This isn't LA or Miami, we are going to have a rough period at some point. Because I really doubt Ainge can pull off a KG like trade again, and even that took us being turrrrible.

Would you have been ok if we didn't win the lottery and still sucked 5 years from now.

Yes, I'm admitting that we/I/Celtics are going to have to suck for a while to get good again. It's just the natural order of things. And since I didn't see us winning it this year(unless lucky injuries happen to other teams) I was ready to start the long and crappy process of rebuilding.

In my opinion it came down to not willing to delay the rebuilding in the hope that other teams have injuries.

There's a lot of "right time, right place" to sucking and rebuilding. rebuilding through sucking means getting a top pick (or picks) when impact players are available in the draft. The spot you get in the draft is based (aside from how the ping pong balls go) by your record the year before, not what you do in the years before that. Getting bad sooner rather than later might not speed up the rebuild, it's just as likely to merely prolong it.

I agree that being bad doesn't automaticly give you a franchise guy, but I was willing to take the chance at landing that player sooner rather than later, than to try and win a title with this team. I think we would of had a much much much better chance at Nerlens Noel(who I think is a franchise guy) than winning a title.

I also would like to note that I find it funny that Ainge criticized Red for keeping the big 3 together, and yet never pulled off a trade involving Ray and let him walk for nothing. And then extended the "Window" by bringing back KG.

Would you have wanted to speed the rebuild in the late 80s if you knew that we wouldn't be real contenders again for 20 years? Do you understand that there's probably as good a chance we'll go another 20 years without drafting a franchise player than there would be that we'd have gotten Noel?

I think putting off rebuilding bc of the fear of not being good again is not a good decision. Not to mention Bias/lewis dieing was kinda big.

I think that giving up a shot at a title because you feel like losing 60 games might get you closer to being good in the unforeseeable future isn't a good decision either.

And that's fine. I just don't have the confidence that you must have that this team has a real shot at winning a title.

Currently constructed I don't think we have any chance to win a title this year unless we get very lucky breaks like last year with other teams injuries.

Yep, lucky like Jeff Green, Chris Wilcox, Avery Bradley, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce injuries. Very lucky indeed.

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Whuh?

We're 10-8 and we're ready to fire one of the best GMs in the NBA?

Wow.

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Whuh?

We're 10-8 and we're ready to fire one of the best GMs in the NBA?

Wow.

ive seen more negative threads after a positive win than after some losses..

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 08:11:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Can we pull this guy's fan card?  JK

I love Danny as GM.   I like Doc as coach.  I love the C's, this team is still fun for me to watch.

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2012, 09:39:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
So, let's recap the last few yrs:

Danny acquires KG and Ray Ray, even AFTER our attempt to land the number 1 or 2 pick in the 07-08 draft falls through.

We subsequently win Banner 17.

Absolutely BRILLIANT move by Danny, because neither Durant or Oden would've brought us Banner 17.

We then go 62-20, but fall to ORL in the playoffs due to KG's injury. Not Danny's fault. We retool the roster a bit, minus Posey, add Micky Moore and Marbury, but STILL have a fine season.

If KG was healthy, we'd have Banner 18 that yr, and the Lakers would still have only 15.

Next season 09-10, we have a miraculous run to the finals, Rondo establishes himself as a star, LeBron, frustrated by BOS once again, bolts. We frustrate DH again, Danny adds Nate and Sheed. Sheed proves big in the playoffs, but we still lose.

Basically, if KG was recovered AND Perk was healthy, we'd have banner 19.

10-11? Shaq proves HUGE for us while healthy. We have perhaps our best run in several yrs, going 40-11 with Shaqtus manning the middle. JO proves helpful while healthy. Thanks to a DWade takedown of Rondo, any shot we have at beating MIA is for nought.

Again - not Danny's fault.

11-12? Another awesome run...AB (Danny's pick) proves HUGE. We basically falter once again due to injuries.

So are we still rdy to can Danny? I'm not. 

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
And who would you want to be our GM?

The buffoon or The emperor again?

the Celtics has been well-organized since he got here.

My dream would have been Ainge as GM and Bird as Coach. But we got Doc - who is a pretty good coach too.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2012, 10:02:24 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
No. I have never been a huge fan of Danny, but for the life of me cannot understand why anyone would want to fire him

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2012, 10:05:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
No. I have never been a huge fan of Danny, but for the life of me cannot understand why anyone would want to fire him

Some people believe in change for the sake of change.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Nope.
Reason 1: he's not doing a bad job.
Reason 2: who would you replace him with?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2012, 10:33:55 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Danny has proven over the past few years to be one of the best executives in the league. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Weren't we firing him last season??

For Boston not being a landing spot for FA he's been doing a good job keeping the team competitive. Even maybe changing minds of FA's to come down the road.

Lee hasn't been awful. His D is always good, just needs to find his place on offense. And Terry is finding his shot more regularly. And when AB comes back and is ready, these are our bench guys in the back court.

Green has had a string of a few games that have been solid after Doc called him out. I still think he will be up and down for an other month. The guy had Heart surgery, and he's playing a year later. Even the doctors are impressed with that. He hasn't played in a year, that alone takes some getting back to form. Remember Jordan when he came back, and no Im not comparing them in the least bit, But Jordan was healthy away from the game, and maybe the best player ever looked bad at times when he first laced them up. People thought he was washed up. So Green just might need a bit more getting the feel for the game and a couple more good ones to get is confidence up. And  I think he still has it in his head not to go all out yet.

I think DA still has some thing up his sleeves for trade time. Some thing right comes a long he'll pull the trigger.

Lets talk about firing when we're having a string of 15 win years okay?

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2012, 06:52:56 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
And please, don't point to OKC. It doesn't take a genius to draft Kevin Durant. He was a consensus number 1 pick, and nobody expected him to not be drafted 1st.
[dang] hes ugly

Don't forget to drop the mic as you exit the stage :)

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2012, 07:27:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
And please, don't point to OKC. It doesn't take a genius to draft Kevin Durant. He was a consensus number 1 pick, and nobody expected him to not be drafted 1st.
[dang] hes ugly

Don't forget to drop the mic as you exit the stage :)

he looks old to me

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2012, 08:33:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I always thought he was like 30 when they drafted him in terms of his looks but I was wrong his body is like a 40 year old.