Author Topic: Is anyone ready to fire Danny.  (Read 8195 times)

Re: Is anyone ready to fire Danny.
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I don't want him fired, and I know I'm in the minority, but I do disagree with retooling and not rebuilding this year.

I would of been okay to suck this year and go for a shot at Nerlens Noel. I realize that is a long shot, but let's face it. This isn't LA or Miami, we are going to have a rough period at some point. Because I really doubt Ainge can pull off a KG like trade again, and even that took us being turrrrible.

Would you have been ok if we didn't win the lottery and still sucked 5 years from now.

Yes, I'm admitting that we/I/Celtics are going to have to suck for a while to get good again. It's just the natural order of things. And since I didn't see us winning it this year(unless lucky injuries happen to other teams) I was ready to start the long and crappy process of rebuilding.

In my opinion it came down to not willing to delay the rebuilding in the hope that other teams have injuries.

There's a lot of "right time, right place" to sucking and rebuilding. rebuilding through sucking means getting a top pick (or picks) when impact players are available in the draft. The spot you get in the draft is based (aside from how the ping pong balls go) by your record the year before, not what you do in the years before that. Getting bad sooner rather than later might not speed up the rebuild, it's just as likely to merely prolong it.

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I don't want him fired, and I know I'm in the minority, but I do disagree with retooling and not rebuilding this year.

I would of been okay to suck this year and go for a shot at Nerlens Noel. I realize that is a long shot, but let's face it. This isn't LA or Miami, we are going to have a rough period at some point. Because I really doubt Ainge can pull off a KG like trade again, and even that took us being turrrrible.

Would you have been ok if we didn't win the lottery and still sucked 5 years from now.

Yes, I'm admitting that we/I/Celtics are going to have to suck for a while to get good again. It's just the natural order of things. And since I didn't see us winning it this year(unless lucky injuries happen to other teams) I was ready to start the long and crappy process of rebuilding.

In my opinion it came down to not willing to delay the rebuilding in the hope that other teams have injuries.

There's a lot of "right time, right place" to sucking and rebuilding. rebuilding through sucking means getting a top pick (or picks) when impact players are available in the draft. The spot you get in the draft is based (aside from how the ping pong balls go) by your record the year before, not what you do in the years before that. Getting bad sooner rather than later might not speed up the rebuild, it's just as likely to merely prolong it.

I agree that being bad doesn't automaticly give you a franchise guy, but I was willing to take the chance at landing that player sooner rather than later, than to try and win a title with this team. I think we would of had a much much much better chance at Nerlens Noel(who I think is a franchise guy) than winning a title.

I also would like to note that I find it funny that Ainge criticized Red for keeping the big 3 together, and yet never pulled off a trade involving Ray and let him walk for nothing. And then extended the "Window" by bringing back KG.

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
No, no, no, no, no, a thousand times no.

You know why?  Because I have a memory that extends beyond the past couple of games.  Because I remember how absolutely horrible and directionless this franchise was before Danny got here.  Because I see other franchises that struggle with horrible mismanagement year after year.  Because I remember previous seasons when it's taken the team a little while to congeal, and I trust that when all is said and done the pieces that have been assembled will have us in the hunt.

I mean...  do you remember the Rick Pitino years?  You want to go back to that?  When the Patriots lost to Seattle and went to 3-3, did you call for Bill Belichick to be fired, too? 

Get a grip, people.

T to the P.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 04:32:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I agree that being bad doesn't automaticly give you a franchise guy, but I was willing to take the chance at landing that player sooner rather than later, than to try and win a title with this team. I think we would of had a much much much better chance at Nerlens Noel(who I think is a franchise guy) than winning a title.

I also would like to note that I find it funny that Ainge criticized Red for keeping the big 3 together, and yet never pulled off a trade involving Ray and let him walk for nothing. And then extended the "Window" by bringing back KG.

That is so nice of you to be willing to take that risk.  Are you also the one investing millions of dollars in the team?  Because that plays a role in this too, and it is a pretty big risk, when you know you are going to struggle to fill seats, without a very high probability of payoff.

As far as "criticizing Red", I think a lot of people twist the story with that.  Ainge criticized Red for passing on a couple specific trades, that he believed would have helped extend the window of the team, that Red passed on because of his loyalty to Bird and McHale.  Danny claims (and I believe him) that he has not had any offers close to what Red turned down.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 04:37:21 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
There always seems to be a team out there ready to trade a solid fringe all star for a lottery pick and go in a different direction. Maybe someday that's the direction we go in getting a solid #3 to pair with our solid #2 (Rondo). Maybe then with cap space we can convince a #1 to come in via free agency. Of course there is also the opposite approach and completly blowing it up and rebuilding through the draft.

I just don't think now was the time to go either direction. There is still gas left in the tank here and plenty of time to go one of those other directions in the future. Rondo is still young.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 04:45:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Would you have wanted to speed the rebuild in the late 80s if you knew that we wouldn't be real contenders again for 20 years? Do you understand that there's probably as good a chance we'll go another 20 years without drafting a franchise player than there would be that we'd have gotten Noel?

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 04:53:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Would you have wanted to speed the rebuild in the late 80s if you knew that we wouldn't be real contenders again for 20 years? Do you understand that there's probably as good a chance we'll go another 20 years without drafting a franchise player than there would be that we'd have gotten Noel?

And lets also not ignore the fact that Noel (or anyone in this years draft class) doesn't look all that great.  If you ask me, Noel looks more like Tyrus Thomas than KG, and that's not getting you back out of the lottery. 

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 05:00:08 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I hope Ainge is the GM for the Celtics for the next decade. Its is hard to find an above average GM in this league. And the NBA has many more player movement restrictions compared to Baseball and Football.

Considering the restrictions, he has done a solid job, and has improved as he has gone along.

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

That is so nice of you to be willing to take that risk.  Are you also the one investing millions of dollars in the team?  Because that plays a role in this too, and it is a pretty big risk, when you know you are going to struggle to fill seats, without a very high probability of payoff.

As far as "criticizing Red", I think a lot of people twist the story with that.  Ainge criticized Red for passing on a couple specific trades, that he believed would have helped extend the window of the team, that Red passed on because of his loyalty to Bird and McHale.  Danny claims (and I believe him) that he has not had any offers close to what Red turned down.

So I should be glad that we have a team that can make Wyc money? Ok. If that is the goal for fans, then I think we have the perfect team expect for Green's contract as I think that is wasting Wyc's money.

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

I think putting off rebuilding bc of the fear of not being good again is not a good decision. Not to mention Bias/lewis dieing was kinda big.

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 05:19:41 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

And lets also not ignore the fact that Noel (or anyone in this years draft class) doesn't look all that great.  If you ask me, Noel looks more like Tyrus Thomas than KG, and that's not getting you back out of the lottery.

I think he is going to be really really good. Which would take us out of the lottery.

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 05:20:27 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Pretty random thread.

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I think putting off rebuilding bc of the fear of not being good again is not a good decision. Not to mention Bias/lewis dieing was kinda big.

I think that giving up a shot at a title because you feel like losing 60 games might get you closer to being good in the unforeseeable future isn't a good decision either.

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
/slap  :o

Get a grip.

It's early.  And this team is deep.

Ainge is truly the bright spot this past year.

U guys were all anti-Bradley, kg is too old, trade rondo ATM certain points in the last few years.....

Danny is one of the best GMs in the Nba!

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
And please, don't point to OKC. It doesn't take a genius to draft Kevin Durant. He was a consensus number 1 pick, and nobody expected him to not be drafted 1st.

Don't forget to drop the mic as you exit the stage :)

Speaking of someone who looks MUCH older than he actually is...