Author Topic: This team is OVER the Hill.  (Read 7254 times)

This team is OVER the Hill.
« on: December 06, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The "experts" have been talking about it for years, and to this teams credit they fought tooth and nail and remained an elite team in the league. But now the time has come.

I think Kevin will never believe in his head that he's slowing down, but the big difference is Paul. Paul is really smart and he knows in his heart of hearts that there is just no way we can beat Miami anymore. You have to wonder if this is his last year. The fire is gone. The team is old. This team is slow. It's time to move on. It sucks.

Re: This team is OVER the Hill.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

The "experts" have been talking about it for years, and to this teams credit they fought tooth and nail and remained an elite team in the league. But now the time has come.

I think Kevin will never believe in his head that he's slowing down, but the big difference is Paul. Paul is really smart and he knows in his heart of hearts that there is just no way we can beat Miami anymore. You have to wonder if this is his last year. The fire is gone. The team is old. This team is slow. It's time to move on. It sucks.

Bro, its too early for you to be this drunk. Usually threads like this come after a loss not a win.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Well, this is going to be a productive and constructive thread...

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

These type of threads make me nostalgic for bring back toine posts.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 11:33:37 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

It's not so bad. To save time and effort, we can all just paste in our replies from last year.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

Not such much the team, but our offense IS over he Hill.

I hate it when they force passes to PP and KG.....while the other guys are open.  Even worse, not even sending cutters when the lane is open.   It is painful to watch at times.   

It happens when a team becomes a PG heavy team.  ONE guy controls EVERY move in prelude to the ONE pass. 

Absolutely Horrible!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 11:49:03 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Was this posted after the win against the Wolves?

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 12:33:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Pierce and KG both looked close to done at the start of last season.  KG looked like 50% of himself for the first half of the 2009-2010 season.

We've been here before.

This team is done being a dominant force night in and night out, at least during the regular season.  Even in the playoffs, when they are at the top of their game, they have it going some nights and on some others they lay an egg.

But they still have the pieces and the experience to go far.  They've gone from being one of the favorites in 2007-2008 to being a dark horse.  But they seem pretty comfortable in that role.  That's where we're going to be for the next season or two after this one, too, most likely.  So buckle up.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Bro, its too early for you to be this drunk. Usually threads like this come after a loss not a win.

or high,

KG and Pierce are competitors...I can't wait to see Miami in the playoffs

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Tommy Point.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

It's not so bad. To save time and effort, we can all just paste in our replies from last year.
Or from the year before that .... or the year before that ...
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224

I hate it when they force passes to PP and KG.....while the other guys are open.  Even worse, not even sending cutters when the lane is open.   It is painful to watch at times.   

It happens when a team becomes a PG heavy team.  ONE guy controls EVERY move in prelude to the ONE pass. 

Absolutely Horrible!!!
Man, I can't even agree halfsies on this one. Our offense hasn't looked this good in years. This team has stretches where it just scores at will. We hardly ever see the "clogged toilet" Paul Pierce iso compared to how it used to be. The young guys are getting buckets for us now. Rondo is taking full advantage of his new weapons.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Absolutely Horrible!!!
Man, I can't even agree halfsies on this one. Our offense hasn't looked this good in years. This team has stretches where it just scores at will. We hardly ever see the "clogged toilet" Paul Pierce iso compared to how it used to be. The young guys are getting buckets for us now. Rondo is taking full advantage of his new weapons.

Absolutely agree. If anything's wrong, it's NOT our offense.

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 01:20:19 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

In another thread you want to fire Ainge and now you want to dump Pierce or whomever. What's really bugging you?

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 01:23:10 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Pierce and KG both looked close to done at the start of last season.  KG looked like 50% of himself for the first half of the 2009-2010 season.

We've been here before.

This team is done being a dominant force night in and night out, at least during the regular season.  Even in the playoffs, when they are at the top of their game, they have it going some nights and on some others they lay an egg.

But they still have the pieces and the experience to go far.  They've gone from being one of the favorites in 2007-2008 to being a dark horse.  But they seem pretty comfortable in that role.  That's where we're going to be for the next season or two after this one, too, most likely.  So buckle up.

You just described what its like for pretty much every team, young or old.

Its a long season and all teams have their ups & downs.  The better teams just have more 'ups' than 'downs'.  But even the best teams have 'down' moments.

Basketball players are not machines.  They are human and subject bad days, slumps and bad luck, both on an individual and group level.

We here are spoiled by either long term memories of the Bird-era Celtics and more probably by memories of the 2007-2008 season.  Folks need to understand that it is extremely rare for a team to be as dominant as that team was, from beginning of the season to the end.   The net point differential of that team places it among the best teams ever.

But even that team lost to the Wizards ...

On the subject of THIS team, its funny how the team is still thought of as 'old' when so many, many key pieces on the roster are under 28.   And more funny is how folks just don't seem to realize that most of the problems we've had have been with the under-performance of the _younger_ (and newer) players.

By almost all objective measures, compared either to their own careers or to their peers throughout the league, our 'Ancient Three' (KG, PP & JT) are all playing great basketball.