Author Topic: This team is OVER the Hill.  (Read 7250 times)

Re: This team is OVER the Hill.
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Its a long season and all teams have their ups & downs.  The better teams just have more 'ups' than 'downs'.  But even the best teams have 'down' moments.

All true, but my point is that it's unreasonable to hope for this team to win 60+ and go on 10-15 game winning streaks like they've done in the past.

why not? they easily could...whats so different than last year? other than they aer younger...

It's unreasonable because they haven't been that kind of team since the fall of 2010 when they had a healthy Shaq.

With all due respect to the current team, who I think will be fine, this is absolutely true.

That 2010 squad was monstrous at the start of the season.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Re: This team is OVER the Hill.
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 03:24:36 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If we're talking over the hill in terms of to old it's not the team, it's just Pierce and Garnett. That's not a slight to them, it's pretty amazing that they're still playing at such a high level considering they're age(Mid 30s = NBA retirement age). I have no doubt this team will post a solid record and make the play-offs, but to contend we need another all-star. We need a guy who can put up similar numbers as Pierce and Garnett to help off-set their decline.

Rondo won't do?

No.

We need another all-star in addition to what we already have.

Ah, we need four all-star caliber players to be a contender?

I think it's getting to the point where you might be able to have a good argument about whether or not Pierce and KG are really All-Star caliber players on a nightly basis.

Not saying they aren't, necessarily, but it's getting close.  Admittedly with KG I think it's mainly that he's playing 28 minutes a night.

Eastern All-Stars:

G - Rondo / Holiday / Lowry
G - Wade / D-Will
F - LeBron / Pierce
F - Melo / West / Garnett
B - Varejao / Bosh / Chandler

Pierce gets on there mainly because the SF position is pretty weak league-wide this year.  You've got LeBron, Durant, Melo, and then a handful of guys who are pretty good -- Pierce is at the head of that second group.  That's about it.

Garnett is a borderline add among the "big man" group, competing with guys like Joakim Noah, Al Horford, and Brook Lopez.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain