Author Topic: Why do so many see Sully as "untouchable" in trades?  (Read 20003 times)

Re: Why do so many see Sully as "untouchable" in trades?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 02:00:51 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
People keep talking about his back issues but so far i see no issues at all. Seems like alot of people overreacted to it. As far as being untouchable goes, im on record saying id trade him for the right guy.

and you are?  ::)

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
People keep talking about his back issues but so far i see no issues at all. Seems like alot of people overreacted to it. As far as being untouchable goes, im on record saying id trade him for the right guy.

They said the same thing about Roy and his knee early in his career and look how that turned out.

I hope the back never gives out but saying since it hasn't happened yet, it must not be a worry isn't true.

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The deals being proposed smell like a Joe Johnson for Tony delk and Rodney rogers...especially if Bradley was involved.

I see at least one person here is guilty

As a note; sometimes I wonder if the Joe Johnson trade has permanently scarred some Celttics fans.

Trading away Sullinger and/or Bradley is in no way comparable to trading away Joe Johnson, particularly Sullinger.  Neither player have any hope of ever being on Johnson's level.

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 02:11:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The deals being proposed smell like a Joe Johnson for Tony delk and Rodney rogers...especially if Bradley was involved.

As a note; sometimes I wonder if the Joe Johnson trade has permanently scarred some Celttics fans.

Trading away Sullinger and/or Bradley is in no way comparable to trading away Joe Johnson, particularly Sullinger.  Neither player have any hope of ever being on Johnson's level.
and why is that?  JJ wasn't projected to get to the level he's at which is why they traded him.  seems really premature to say that neither Avery or Sully can get to that level.  Bradley still has a lot of untapped potential and his D can mke him a real game changer.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Trading away Sullinger and/or Bradley is in no way comparable to trading away Joe Johnson, particularly Sullinger.  Neither player have any hope of ever being on Johnson's level

Couldn't be any more wrong....Johnson was midway through his rookie season and no one had any hope he would be what he is.. we kept another rookie wing at the time who we could've used in the trade instead but thought he had more potential...he soon after was out of the league.....sully and Bradley both have more potential then anyone thouhght Joe potentialltly had then....as evidenced by the players we fit in return. Sorry.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:22:55 PM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 02:17:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Excuse me, but my permanent scarring came from Chauncey Billups being traded halfway through his rookie season.

For Kenny Anderson. :'(
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Where did I say that Sully was the same player as Gerald Green?

There are dozens of reasons why a player's potential might not work out.  There's an argument that, even best case scenario, Sully will never be as good as Varejao or Gortat.  When you add the substantial risk that Sully will never reach that upside, trading him for legit talent doesn't seem all that risky to me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 02:21:39 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Couldn't be any more wrong....Johnson was midway through his rookie season and no one had any hope he would be what he is.. we kept another rookie wing at the time who we could've used in the trade instead but thought he had more potential...he soon after was out of the league.....sully and Bradley both have more potential then anyone thouhght Joe potentialltly had then....sorry

And I dont really think Joe Johnson is that great, especially anymore. Iso - Joe. Thats all he does. He rebounded well for a few years but at this point in his career he is an isolation player that has a horrible shot selection and a painfully low basketball IQ.

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Sully has perhaps the highest basketball IQ of any 20 year old to ever play in the NBA.

Smitty77

That's maybe overstating things a little?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 02:28:38 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

There are dozens of reasons why a player's potential might not work out.  There's an argument that, even best case scenario, Sully will never be as good as Varejao or Gortat.  When you add the substantial risk that Sully will never reach that upside, trading him for legit talent doesn't seem all that risky to me.

That argument is overrating varejao and gortat. At their best they were backups on playoff teams/contenders....and starters on crap teams. Pretty sure Jared can do that already.

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 02:44:30 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224

I don't see where anyone accused you of it, I just think it's not an apt comparison. Sully is not some amorphous ball of athletic potentiality; he's rookie that's 18 games into his NBA career, and is already delivering on his promise, somewhere on a TV screen near you.

There's an argument that Sully will never be as good as Bob/Gortat... given certain criteria. Not criteria like "shooting range" or "free throws", though. I think it's important to keep in perspective that he will probably be a different kind of player, even if it's in the same position.

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That argument is overrating varejao and gortat. At their best they were backups on playoff teams/contenders....and starters on crap teams. Pretty sure Jared can do that already.

You see Sullinger putting up 15/15 as a starter on a poor team?  I think that's a bit optimistic.

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I'd trade Sully but would offer Bass first.

My thoughts too. Love the kid, love his game, and I think he is going to be a Boozerlike player in the league; but if AV or Gortat are available to nab and the deal includes Sully then I ship him off.

This where I'm at too.   We kinda know Bass is at his prime .  Man ...I just can't wait to see Sully and Bradley in 1-2 years.  I just hope they are STILL Celtics so I don't have to cringe watching them on the Lakers or Bulls stomping the Bug-Juice out of the Celtics one day ...

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 02:54:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I've seen numerous fans say that they wouldn't give up Sullinger for the likes of Gortat or Varejao.

What am I missing?  Sullinger has some potential, but so did Gerald Green.  What do people see in Sullinger that suggests that he holds more value than an above-average starting center?
Epitome of homerism, really.  That's the only explanation.   Sully is solid.  He's in the Bass/Glen Davis mold.  Should be a solid role player for many years to come.  Could eventually crack a starting lineup by default (like Bass and Davis).  He's the 10th best rookie this year so far which is somewhat encouraging.  He's up there with the likes of Kyle Singler and Alexey Shved.  I'd trade either one of those guys for a legit starter as well.

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

You see Sullinger putting up 15/15 as a starter on a poor team?  I think that's a bit optimistic.

Don't think its unreasonable for him to  in a stretch of games in his career(all av has done). I think he can be consitenty better than varejao has been where there's an argument(more like fact) this year is a fluke...hes never before averaged over 10 points and its his 9th season...I have no doubt in my mind Jared can have a better career....but I don't think hes untouchable but find it completely unfathomable that best case scenario he wont be as good as varejao...uh
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:28:58 PM by scaryjerry »