Author Topic: Why do so many see Sully as "untouchable" in trades?  (Read 19993 times)

Re: Why do so many see Sully as "untouchable" in trades?
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2012, 05:13:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I said this in another thread... I think this is a good place for it, though.

Let me ask the "SULLY IS UNTOUCHABLE!" crowd a serious question. 

Sully probably had late lotto talent, but slipped to #21.  Fine, let's pretend he was a legit late lotto pick.  At the moment he's #11 in Efficiency amongst rookies... behind the likes of Alexey Shved  and Kyle Singler.  That's nice.

Take off the homer goggles for a second.  Meyers Leonard is the same age, is over 7 feet tall, was picked 10 spots higher than Sully (legit lotto pick), probably has more potential, and is putting up the same type of stats in the same type of minutes. 

Would you rather have Meyers Leonard or Pau/Big Al/Josh Smith/etc?

I'm curious if people are that attached to Sully simply because he's played 20 games as a Celtic and they are emotionally invested... or if they'd legitimately rather have a late lotto pick with perceived potential who averages 5 points/5 boards (Leonard)... over a guy who can contribute 20 and 10 immediately.

So who would consider Meyers Leonard untouchable?  Serious question.

i hope all general managers (other than danny) think like you do, because man that would be great.  allow me to educate you. 

taking off the homer goggles:  sully should have gone about number 7 in the draft.  leonard went at 11.

lol.  ok

if you think thats lol - then you just dont know your stuff.  draft express had him going at 7, espn had him going at 10 before the phantom (aka relatively non-existent) back problems surfaced.  the year before that he was projected to be top three in the draft, and some said #1... if you want links for any of these i have them... oh yeah, and ryan mcdonough had sully in the top 10 of the draft too - he's dannys right hand man.

im being very objective - giving evidence rather than opinions, the epitome of taking off the homer glasses. point anything i said out, i can give you links, or just go thru my previous posts - theyre all there... where am i going wrong?

Well, I think it's hard to describe a kid as the #7 pick in the draft, and essentially trumpet that as a fact, when he fell to #21.

Maybe in a re-draft, Sully would go #7.
  (I don't think so; the top-7 should be some combo of Davis, MKG, Lillard, Waiters, Beal, Barnes and Drummond.  Robinson probably goes ahead of Sully, too.)  However, to state it like it's basically a fact seems counter to the actual reality of the situation.

so let me get this straight - you're saying that draft position completely dictates reality, and because of that, there's no way that sullinger was in reality the seventh best player in the draft? or are you saying that perhaps due to having now seen him play in the nba, he was the seventh best player in the draft, former draft position aside?  your post is a little confusing as it seems to state both...

going a little further with that point, that would be like saying that there's no way anyone can say that manu ginobilli was one of the top ten players of the 1999 draft since he was number 57 overall because to state it like it's an actual fact seems counter to the actual reality of the situation.... additionally, just out of curiosity, what is the reality of the situation regarding sullinger? isn't that what we're debating?

I think you might want to focus on the "maybe" vs. "fact" part of my post.

You seem to leave no room for any other reality than that Sullinger was absolutely the 7th best player in the draft.  Reasonable minds can disagree on that.  Clearly, when NBA GMs were asked to weigh in, they valued him much lower than you did.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2012, 05:36:54 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
just a side note on sully
compare his stats to brandon bass' , in 10 more minutes of playing time bass is beating sullinger in points per game by 3, all other stats are pretty much even
while this does not make him untouchable i think bass is a more likely candidate to be traded with contracts etc
sully has improved his team defense already and shows the iq to continue to improve

« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
just a side note on sully
compare his stats to brandon bass' , in 10 more minutes of playing time bass is beating sullinger in points per game by 3, all other stats are pretty much even
while this does not make him untouchable i think bass is a more likely candidate to be traded with contracts etc
sully has improved his team defense already and shows the iq to continue to improve

And he's only 20

« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I see Sully as a poor man's Boozer; good post player, solid rebounder, below-average defender.

I'd love to see him develop here because I think Rondo needs a good post man and shooters to be successful in the future, but if the right deal comes along, then I'd be willing to ship him out.

« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2012, 08:26:54 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
at one point in time, Sullinger was projected to be the #1 pick in the 2011 (not 2012) draft. he was projected top 10 for 2012 before the medical report.