Author Topic: I Love me some Rondo but...  (Read 6116 times)

Re: I Love me some Rondo but...
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Finally a man who knows a good deal!  You got any expensive, inefficient Ferrari lying around?  I would love to trade you a spacious mini-van and a cost effective bicycle for it.  That way you can get where you want to go NOW and save money for the future!

sheesh....sorry i got out of bed this morning. It's sarcastic/ negative/unfunny/ unconstructive comments like this why i don't spend too much time on CelticsBlog.

The way you just reacted to my completely rational thought it's as if i suggested to trade the entire roster for Adam Morrison. Good day to you, sir.
his analogy was actually perfect. You want to trade a top 10 player in the game for enes kanter, a no-name. You have an obsession with moving KG to the pf position  and think it will be better even though he's lost all lateral quickness and cant play PF anymore. You're out of touch with this team. KG is a top 4 center in the east last time i checked.

KG hasnt played power forward full time in nearly 2 years

Okay well Rondo isnt a top 10 player in the league. And no one outside of Boston would ever think that. If he was there is no way the Celtics would be 12-11 with the talent they have surrounding him.. Best passer? Absolutely. Quickest? Yup. Top 10? Nah dude.

You act as if it would completely shatter KG's game if he moved to PF. I can name several PF's in the game whose lateral movement is quite slower than KG's. If anything it would help him playing with a true Center who can finish at the rim and help defend the basket.

I will admit i was misinformed about Enes Kanter. I'm not exactly an avid Utah Jazz fans and don't watch their games, i thought he was at least a 12/9 guy, not a 5/5 guy. Still upside there but i'd leave him out of the previously proposed trade and maybe throw millsap in there.
ESPN ranked all players in the NBA before the season started.

Rondo was ranked #12
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8423104/2012-nba-player-rankings-11-15

he was ranked before this season, one of his best seasons where he is outperforming CP3.

Rondo had a better year than any other point guard in the league. He also gave miami the biggest challenge in the playoffs. Lead the league in tripple doubles AND lead the league in assists per game!! the guy now has a decent jump shot this year! He has so much potential to get better and hes already the best!! every other top PG in the league has no where to go but down. Other than Irving... Rondo should be top 5

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
There was a time when I strongly defended a trade rumor where we were trying to trade Rondo for Steph Curry.   I defended it for a number of reasons.  #1 - Curry was still on his rookie contract and it would have given us even more flexibility if we were starting over.   #2 - Curry is a completely different type of player than Rondo, but I love his game... probably one of the top 5 shooters in the game.  The rumor was actually that Golden State turned down Boston.

This year (so far) I actually feel slightly vindicated for defending that rumor.  Curry is on the last year of his rookie contract, The Warriors are 16-8 and Curry is playing great ball... averaging 20 points, 6.5 assists, 4 rebounds, 1.7 steals. His shot is coming around (only 42% FG), but he's still shooting 41% from three and 90% from the line.

So far, Curry is the 6th best PG in the league this season.    So far... Rondo is #1.  For the first time ever, Rondo is actually statistically outperforming Chris Paul.  Mo Williams and Enes Kanter has to be a joke.  I think Kanter has potential too, but that's the kind of value you get back for an aging star on his last legs... not a freakin allstar point guard in his 20s.  You lost me at that one.

I had to go back an re-read that.
Larbrd33 is finally happy with Rondo?
There might just be hope yet.
I'm giving you a TP for keeping it real.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 12:19:37 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Finally a man who knows a good deal!  You got any expensive, inefficient Ferrari lying around?  I would love to trade you a spacious mini-van and a cost effective bicycle for it.  That way you can get where you want to go NOW and save money for the future!

sheesh....sorry i got out of bed this morning. It's sarcastic/ negative/unfunny/ unconstructive comments like this why i don't spend too much time on CelticsBlog.

The way you just reacted to my completely rational thought it's as if i suggested to trade the entire roster for Adam Morrison. Good day to you, sir.
his analogy was actually perfect. You want to trade a top 10 player in the game for enes kanter, a no-name. You have an obsession with moving KG to the pf position  and think it will be better even though he's lost all lateral quickness and cant play PF anymore. You're out of touch with this team. KG is a top 4 center in the east last time i checked.

KG hasnt played power forward full time in nearly 2 years

Okay well Rondo isnt a top 10 player in the league. And no one outside of Boston would ever think that. If he was there is no way the Celtics would be 12-11 with the talent they have surrounding him.. Best passer? Absolutely. Quickest? Yup. Top 10? Nah dude.

You act as if it would completely shatter KG's game if he moved to PF. I can name several PF's in the game whose lateral movement is quite slower than KG's. If anything it would help him playing with a true Center who can finish at the rim and help defend the basket.

I will admit i was misinformed about Enes Kanter. I'm not exactly an avid Utah Jazz fans and don't watch their games, i thought he was at least a 12/9 guy, not a 5/5 guy. Still upside there but i'd leave him out of the previously proposed trade and maybe throw millsap in there.

As a couple of people have already pointed out, almost everybody ouside of Boston who follows basketball closely is fully aware that Rajon Rondo is a top ten player.

It's funny to me that it seems like it's mostly Celtics fans who don't recognize this fact. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:07:49 AM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 06:39:05 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Rondo isn't going to be traded anytime soon. He is the best point guard in the NBA and the future of the Cs.

However, if Danny was going to trade Rondo it would be for someone the calibre of CP3 (as rumoured earlier in the preseason), not a handful of unproven non-allstar magic beans.

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 08:38:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Rondo isn't going to be traded anytime soon. He is the best point guard in the NBA and the future of the Cs.

However, if Danny was going to trade Rondo it would be for someone the calibre of CP3 (as rumoured earlier in the preseason), not a handful of unproven non-allstar magic beans.

Ther is no one else as good as CP3 .  Second , the team is hurting more for decent Center than a guard.  Danny isn't going to trade Rondo for JUST a guard.

Having a double double ever night DOESN'T make up for having a bucket load of lazy plays and turn-overs. The over all effect hurts the team.

CP3 is a diva , but he walks the walk EVERY night .

I'fd take Cousins and AB over Rondo lazy ball.

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 08:43:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
If the Celtics trade Rondo it is one of two things: they are getting back a legit star (CP3) or they are blowing it up and if they are blowing it up, they are going to want a lot of young players and draft picks and Rondo won't be the only one leaving. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 08:47:50 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If this team is destined to be blown up, Rondo is the foundation they should try to keep. 

Only move Rondo for the following reasons:

1)  Someone offers a better foundation (very few out there)
2)  Rondo demands a trade (most likely reason)
3)  Team feels Rondo's career as a top player is closer to being over then the rest (very unlikely)

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Ainge has tried to trade Rondo many times for players like Paul and even Westbrook, and failed. He's also tried to trade him for debatable bigs (read: Amare). He will continue to monitor the Rondo market in hopes someone he perceives to be a more valuable building block comes loose.

Teams Danny played on were never built around passing PGs. Regardless, rubbing sticks together on the pipe dream of 'best PG in the NBA' won't create a fire.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 12:53:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Ainge has tried to trade Rondo many times for players like Paul and even Westbrook, and failed. He's also tried to trade him for debatable bigs (read: Amare). He will continue to monitor the Rondo market in hopes someone he perceives to be a more valuable building block comes loose.

Teams Danny played on were never built around passing PGs. Regardless, rubbing sticks together on the pipe dream of 'best PG in the NBA' won't create a fire.

All were all-stars at the time and perceived building blocks. 

If that is still the thought process on a Rondo trade, I can probably deal with that.

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

All were all-stars at the time and perceived building blocks. 

If that is still the thought process on a Rondo trade, I can probably deal with that.

Me too. But if I were a betting man, I'd wager that Ainge is getting a little itchy on Rondo. His value has probably never been higher, and the team is looking far from championship worthy.

A trade is obviously unlikely, but I'd guess Rondo's name will be uttered by Ainge -- or more likely McDonough -- more often that you'd imagine between now and mid-Feb. 

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 01:55:49 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
*Celtics get: DeMarcus Cousins, Aaron Brooks & Francisco Garcia
*Kings get: Rajon Rondo, Fab Melo, Kris Joseph and a pick

I would trade him to the Kings, but not for that package. I would want Cousins, Evans, and an unprotected 1st rd pick in 2014 (which will be a ridiculously talented class). That's the sort of value I'm looking for.

Ainge has inquired about Cousins in the past.

The C's have called the Kings in order to see what it would take to land the disgruntled, 21-year-old big man, according to the Boston Herald.

It's also no secret that Ainge wanted Evans in the draft. Plus, Ainge has said that Bradley would likely thrive playing alongside a combo guard. Which makes sense so that Bradley can play off the ball offensively, but cover PG's & put constant ball pressure defensively. This will also prevent Bradley from being posted by bigger 2 guards.