Author Topic: Why do so many see Sully as "untouchable" in trades?  (Read 19991 times)

Why do so many see Sully as "untouchable" in trades?
« on: December 06, 2012, 11:11:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've seen numerous fans say that they wouldn't give up Sullinger for the likes of Gortat or Varejao.

What am I missing?  Sullinger has some potential, but so did Gerald Green.  What do people see in Sullinger that suggests that he holds more value than an above-average starting center?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Why do so many see Sully as "untouchable" in trades?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yeah, I think Sully is one of those guys whose main value is as a trade chip, because of his limited upside due to his lack of athleticism, as well as his back issues. 

Now, I do have problems with certain combinations of players going out in a trade that includes Sully.  But he certainly shouldn't be untouchable in a deal that brings back an impact big man like Varajao or Gortat.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Delusions of grandeur?

The guy is good, no doubt.  He might even some day make an all-star team.  I just don't see him as having anything more than boder-line all-star at best, as his ceiling.

I'm highly skeptical he'll ever reach the level of players like Josh Smith or Zach Randolph.  Guess what, those two guys have zero all-star appearances combined.

He is not a cornerstone type player.  Thus, if an opportunity presents itself to move him in a "win now" type of deal, you jump at it.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
People keep talking about his back issues but so far i see no issues at all. Seems like alot of people overreacted to it. As far as being untouchable goes, im on record saying id trade him for the right guy.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As a note; sometimes I wonder if the Joe Johnson trade has permanently scarred some Celttics fans.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 11:38:48 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
SUlly is like gold .  He is a new found mother load  at age 20.  I think DA belives he is gonna be worth more as the months go by. The longer he holds on to him the cash registar just keep ringing.  He looks better everygame and more comfortable in ANY role other than 5 postion.  He just plays ball , never panicks, very steady .  I think Sully has made  Bass's improve his game.  He is a great compliment for KG on the floor.  He makes FAR less mistakes than Pierce , who I'd like to strangle with the needless turnovers.

I don't consider him "UNTOUCHBLE"  , I'd trade him in some deal for Josh Smith or Varejao or a deal for an IMPACT PLAYER that fits the Celtics.

Bradley and Sully are well worth protecting until the "RIGHT" piece is available .

ALso...take the opposite view...IF BRadley and Sully are over rated as some posters think , then WHY is it that the FIRST players most  people seem to think GM's would want would be Rondo ,Sully , and Bradley and to as lesser extent Fab.   They are diamonds in the ruff and unless your getting a REAL high grade player , its better to kept what you got, the value is only going to increase..

I'm not so confused on Sully.  It's Green that I'm not sure what the Celtics truely have. ;D   

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 11:48:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The hope (or delusion) that a team built around Rondo, AB, Green and Sully is some sort of title contender when KG and Pierce are gone.

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 11:49:41 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
The hope (or delusion) that a team built around Rondo, AB, Green and Sully is some sort of title contender when KG and Pierce are gone.

They will be title contenders I tell you.

IT'S GONNA HAPPEN.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 11:55:56 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'd trade Sully but would offer Bass first.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Contenders for the division, maybe.  (And maybe is optimistic.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 12:05:47 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Hes not untouchable whatsoever....but why do so many overrate varejao and gortat? Id possibly trade him depending what else we were sending for either of those guys but I believe he will be better than both in the long term and is already contributing.

The deals being proposed smell like a Joe Johnson for Tony delk and Rodney rogers...especially if Bradley was involved.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:22:31 PM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 12:07:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Agreed ,  its a start, but when KG and Paul are gone, a big Super star is gonna be needed.

Look at the NUGGETS ... lots of nice pieces ...this is what I see the Celtics being uless we get a ALstar player. to go with Rondo

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I don't see him as untouchable its more common sense.  He is good, not as good as Bass (right now).  Sully is signed to rookie contract.  If we are going to get anyone of note we need a contract going out.  Bass makes more period

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 12:10:32 PM »

Offline Bombastic Jones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
Yeah, I think Sully is one of those guys whose main value is as a trade chip, because of his limited upside due to his lack of athleticism, as well as his back issues. 

Now, I do have problems with certain combinations of players going out in a trade that includes Sully.  But he certainly shouldn't be untouchable in a deal that brings back an impact big man like Varajao or Gortat.

I agree with everything you say in the second paragraph, but I am hesitant to say his main value is as a trade chip.  He seems like a steal to me at the moment related to his draft position and could develop nicely.  He is giving us some production.  He could be a valuable trade chip but I would prefer move other chips like Bass, Fab, or future picks.

I just wonder what it would take to grab Gortat.  Could we get him for Bass, Fab and a 2013?  I would do that before Bass and Sully.

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Sully and Avery are our two most attractive trade pieces - they will be brought up a lot and it is important for Ainge and company to know their value

this might be a story on the front page sooner or later - bank on sooner
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)