Author Topic: Is Greg Oden Available?  (Read 5373 times)

Re: Is Greg Oden Available?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 10:20:33 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I just saw a tweet about him, and apparently he plans on trying to return next season. 

I think he is a guy who someone (perhaps the C's) will give a short term contract this summer, if he can pass a physical.  But not yet.

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 12:38:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Jason Collins = Mr. Suck

Can't argue with that but at least he makes it out on the court.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:53:08 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 12:38:51 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
low risk, high reward. If we can get him for the vet min, i'd do it...

sucks that hes plagued with injuries. If this dude was healthy, I can say he will be better than Dwight. Hell,  if all players in Portland were healthy, I can see them int he finals

Roy, Aldridge, Oden...that team would be so sick

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I just saw a tweet about him, and apparently he plans on trying to return next season. 

I think he is a guy who someone (perhaps the C's) will give a short term contract this summer, if he can pass a physical.  But not yet.
I think you bring him in this year to get him acclimated and that will hopefully show him you want him so he signs for less money next year.  I'm sure there will be some team next summer that needs to get to the minimum salary and offers Oden a fairly large 1 year contract to just take a flyer on him (and to get the salary).  You bring in him now you could probably sign him for less and then get more time to work with him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I think you bring him in this year to get him acclimated and that will hopefully show him you want him so he signs for less money next year.  I'm sure there will be some team next summer that needs to get to the minimum salary and offers Oden a fairly large 1 year contract to just take a flyer on him (and to get the salary).  You bring in him now you could probably sign him for less and then get more time to work with him.
From what I've heard he wants nothing to do with a basketball team this year.  He just wants to be away from it.

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
It's pretty crazy to look back at how depressed I was on draft lottery night. And now how lucky we ended up being.

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Because it worked so well for Brandon Roy.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
low risk, high reward. If we can get him for the vet min, i'd do it...

sucks that hes plagued with injuries. If this dude was healthy, I can say he will be better than Dwight. Hell,  if all players in Portland were healthy, I can see them int he finals

Roy, Aldridge, Oden...that team would be so sick

Yeah they had such high hopes and promise and they got royally screwed over again and again with injuries. Their 09 - 10 lineup would have been dirty the past three years.

Andre Miller/Steve Blake/Bayless
Brandon Roy/ Rudy Fernandez
Batum/Martell Webster/Travis Outlaw
Aldridge/Dante Cunningham/Juwan Howard
Oden/Camby/Pryzbilla

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
A frontline of Oden and Robert Swift would be formidable.

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Because it worked so well for Brandon Roy.

I would be surprised if Oden gets even a year fully guaranteed, let alone 2. 

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I would be surprised if Oden gets even a year fully guaranteed, let alone 2.

Oden getting a year fully guaranteed is about as likely as Bynum getting anywhere near a max level deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think Greg Oden will have 10 or 12 teams offering a fully guaranteed minimum contract.

I don't think he'll be offered much more than that. Maybe he could work his way up to $2.5 million or a partially guaranteed second year at the minimum or slightly over but I'd expect something like that to be his ceiling.

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 03:18:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
A frontline of Oden and Robert Swift would be formidable.

You must have seen quite a bit of Swift in Seattle. Or, more to the point, a lot of Swift in street clothes...

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 04:22:18 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I mean, he'd have to play 15 minutes a game here of solid defense, provide some rebounding, and catch a Rondo alley-oop or two.

He can't play with Miami. Miami is a running team, and he simply MUST be in a half court offense. He would clog up their transition game, and his defensive strengths wouldn't help their swarming defense. Moreover, rebounding a three pointer is harder than rebounding mid-range shots. The Celtics shoot a lot of midrange shots.

Oden would be great here, and I'd love to see him at the vet minimum for a season or two.

We're a cerebral team, and he's a cerebral guy.

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Someone will give him a chance.  If short-term and low dollars why not Boston?  Probably as good a place for him next year as any.